Old 06-20-2016, 08:56 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
Hubby and I and my Borzoi, Mikko are 2 weeks into our post retirement 3 month adventure. My 2 bits:
1) The major camping joy is having Mikko with us. To hike, swim, relax by campfire. So no way is he being left home.
2) wow! Oklahoma, Missouri, Kentucky are hot and muggy. And we're from Arizona. Good grief. (Couldn't bypass due to family visitations ). And no AC in our '62 GT. AS.
3) 90% of our activates involve Mikko. But, sometimes, not. Visiting Fort Smith Historic site, riding our bikes along riverfront park in Cincinnati. As a previous poster stated. I swear by Dogvacay.com. It is a Web based com. Like airbnb, but with dog loving families willing to host your dog for daycare or overnight care. There is a mobile app, too. The site has interactive map so you can search your area and photos of the hosts, their home and reviews. I use Dogvacay hosts at home and on the road. I just, tonight, picked Mikko up from the day at Tammi's. We all had a wonderful day.
4) Just always carry current inoculation records and hopefully pup is microchiped.

Tammi told me to look into Rover.Com for similar services.
This option, is the best, for us. Good luck. Dogs rule!

Old 10-15-2016, 08:24 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
we use the AC system to leave Lucky when we go out. Common sense is the most important element. Monitor or check on the unit etc. and of course what we do and for how long will vary depending on temperature. Check your TT sometime when you are out with systems off and see how hot it gets.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:11 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Make sure you enable your vent fans to operate at a slightly higher temperature than your A/C - such that if your A/C is configured for 78, set your fans at 82, so if you loose shore power, the 12v battery fans will kick in as the temp begins to change and keep the trailer close to ambient.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:26 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Fire is our biggest concern and Maggie mentioned a burned down trailer. I installed two self actuating Marine Fire Extinguishers. One is in the refrigerator compartment outside. The second is in the trailer itself. Both are set to activate at 175 degrees F. One is a 50 CF and the other is 75 CF. They are foam, but a foam that does not damage electrical or anything else it comes in contact with except it smothers the fire. I may install a third before we head south for the winter - but they are expensive.

Our dogs, like yours, are very special to us and they go most places with us, but at times they cannot go and we will leave them up to four hours. As posted earlier, both AC units on at 75 degrees and fantastic fan running.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:54 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
False alarm or low battery chirping from Smoke, CO and Propane detectors would drive my dog nuts. I've had smoke from a neighboring campfire set off my smoke alarm.

I remove them and bring them along whenever dog is left alone. Installed an on/off switch for the permanently mounted Propane detector.

Greg
Old 10-19-2016, 11:33 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Our dogs are kennel trained, so we only camp in places where the dogs can stay inside of the trailer. We put them in their kennels and they sleep most of the time. AC is left on, and we have never had an issue if they are in their kennel.

Also, we don't stay gone long, and take them with us when we can.

Boarding them is usually not an option since there is no kennels around and the cost. Us middle class working folks don't have $$ to shell out..
Old 10-19-2016, 12:30 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2003 19' Bambi
Union Grove , Texas
labs in the AS

We have traveled for about 15 years with either 1 or 2 labs - everywhere and always.........and I have a sign that I put on outside of trailer that states, "Dogs Inside, ICEmergency, please rescue......BUT that was until we went to lunch in the mountains and our AS door did not close all the way. A huge thunder storm rolled in quickly and the black lab managed to push the door handle UP, get out of the trailer, ran around the park, would not cross the cattle guard to the highway (thank goodness) and the grounds people heard one dog barking in the trailer and the other dog barking outside the trailer - saw the sign and put the dog back in the trailer.

We are electing to either take them with us no matter where we go or if it is a hiking trip, finding pet sitters who can watch them or a doggy day care. They are very precious to us and have been with us for since they were 5 weeks old - almost 10 years now. We will treasure our travels with our dogs, but I am very hesitant about leaving them in the trailer alone.......
Old 10-19-2016, 11:50 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
-------snip-------

Boarding them is usually not an option since there is no kennels around and the cost. Us middle class working folks don't have $$ to shell out..
Tell me about it. Took a trip to DisneyWorld a few years ago. The "vacation" for the 5 dogs ended up costing more than the vacation for two people....but we knew the doggies were safe and happy.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:08 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Fire is our biggest concern and Maggie mentioned a burned down trailer. I installed two self actuating Marine Fire Extinguishers. One is in the refrigerator compartment outside. The second is in the trailer itself. Both are set to activate at 175 degrees F. One is a 50 CF and the other is 75 CF. They are foam, but a foam that does not damage electrical or anything else it comes in contact with except it smothers the fire. I may install a third before we head south for the winter - but they are expensive.

Our dogs, like yours, are very special to us and they go most places with us, but at times they cannot go and we will leave them up to four hours. As posted earlier, both AC units on at 75 degrees and fantastic fan running.

Bud
I also have a fire extinguisher in the fridge compartment. As for the other one in the trailer, what good is that going to do? 75 CF is nothing when it comes to the interior of the trailer.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:20 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Zyban, I have one in the trailer as well along with a sign, IF a fire breaks out time is everything, it might give someone time to get in and get them out. Fire can happen at home too. Happened last week to a good friend of ours at home. Dog was found by FC hiding in closet, sever smoke inhalation, new emergency clinic came to the house when FD called and saved the dog, but three days in ICU etc. So, no matter what one does, it can happen traveling or at home.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:10 PM   #53
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Our pups will mostly sleep when we put them is their kennel. However, we do not find RV Parks that allow, in their rules, for owners to leave pets unattended. Is there an app, a website, a coveted list of pet friendly RV Parks?

A major reason for traveling with an RV is accommodating our dogs. We really appreciate attractions and services that accommodate pets. Recommendations appreciated. Pat
Old 10-20-2016, 12:39 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
GRAND CANYON , Arizona
At 175 degrees, you may save part of your coach but certainly not your pets. It's a gamble we all take weather (Pun Intended) we are traveling or leaving them inside a 4 bedroom house. Anything can happen. Just read where someone left their dog in an air-conditioned vehicle with the engine running while going into a convenience store. Somehow the dog hit the gear shift lever throwing it into Drive and crashed through the plate glass window.....Imagine explaining that to your insurance company. Fortunately the truck, window and owners pride can all restored....and the dog came through unscathed.