Old 06-08-2016, 01:03 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Sophie is 13 now and when she passes we don't expect to get another dog. Too many restrictions and expenses.
That's what I said when my last dog died... then two weeks later a puppy showed up. Now he's my best friend.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:25 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
We use Dog Vacay service when we travel and have been pleased with the sitters we have found. Check them out....works for us.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:06 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
We were just at a rally in Memphis and lots of doggies left in trailers whilst the owners went on a 3 hour tour (not that tour). One person stayed behind to tend all the trailers/pets and YES, the power was out for the 3 hours whilst the owners were gone; outside temp was 90+. Luckily the caretaker was excellent with the pets. none damaged

"You know what we have right now? We have right now!"
Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #32
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm sorry, but I have to be able to leave my trailer for a few hours while the dog is with me. I can't take him with me everywhere. And I love my dog.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:54 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

San Luis Obispo , California
We use the ConnectSense Temperature & Humidity Sensor (Amazon) as well as a Nest in our Airstream. You can set the temperature sensor up to phone home as little as every 5 minutes and set rules for alerts. It runs on DC power (as does our networking equipment) so in the event of a power failure it will still alert us if the temperature rises. Same goes for the Nest with smoke/CO. Obviously it's not 100% fool proof but it's a huge step in the right direction.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:10 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Our border collie stays in the trailer once in a while, no problem , air is on at 75 and a window is open......
Old 06-08-2016, 09:33 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2008 Base Camp
Elizabethtown , Kentucky
I have used Temperature Alert for monitoring both power loss and temperature when we leave our cat in the Basecamp with air-conditioning. You pay only for the months you use it by pausing and unpausing the service.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:46 AM   #36
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
As per KJRitchie we leave our dog with 2 fantastic fans running (1 exhaust and 1 intake) and have done this many times . We didn't hike with friends recently due to the AS being in a sunny spot and didn't want to chance the heat that day, but that was an exception (No AC power available) we usually find a good spot. We try not to travel with him if we expect to be in high heat areas he stays home with "Auntie" ...LOL

Our dog is going on 12 and has travelled all over 3 countries and he is going to be the last one until we spend less time travelling.... also to many restrictions.

We also do a lot with helping out street animal in Mexico... which is a great way for people to get pet time without it being full time!!
Old 06-09-2016, 05:57 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We leave both dogs in our AS for up to four hours, never longer. We run both AC set at 73 degrees, and run the one fantastic fan. We also have a Samsung camera set up connected to a hotspot on our Droid Tablet which connects to cell. Data is used only when I view the camera for a few seconds each hour. I also have it set to notify me when there is movement in the trailer, so if the dogs start playing or something I know it. There is also a sound setting so I can turn the camera on and I can hear if the ACs are running or not.

Seems to work so far, but always looking for alternatives.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:21 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Evans , Georgia
Temp Monitor

Who knows some reliable brands of temp monitors?
Old 06-09-2016, 10:50 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2008 Base Camp
Elizabethtown , Kentucky
As mentioned above in my earlier post, I have used Temperature Alert http://www.temperaturealert.com/land...FZcdgQodAc4MJg. It's a great company, and you can pause/unpause the service (so you are paying only for the months you actually use it).
Old 06-09-2016, 11:34 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Violet - you mentioned you have a Nest thermostat in your Airstream. I was under the impression that the wiring and voltage of Airstreams are not suited for Nest installations. I would love to know how you installed it, as we are big Nest fans in our home. Thanks in advance, Joe
Old 06-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

San Luis Obispo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
Violet - you mentioned you have a Nest thermostat in your Airstream. I was under the impression that the wiring and voltage of Airstreams are not suited for Nest installations. I would love to know how you installed it, as we are big Nest fans in our home. Thanks in advance, Joe
Joe, I have the battery run version not the hard-wired version. It connects to your wifi network and will send alerts to your app. It's super simple to setup. Again, obviously not a bullet proof setup for a number of reasons but it's a step in the right direction.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:55 PM   #42
X New Yorker

2013 Interstate Coach
Springfield , Massachusetts
I'm a new Dog Mother and I love my little critter. I thought I had my plan for when I step away for my RV covered and am now re-thinking that. For all that posted to this question - THANK YOU.