Old 06-24-2018, 08:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Grants Pass , Oregon
Large dogs vs soft buttery leather

Hi all,
The Airstreams we've been looking at have this amazingly soft leather on all the cushions. I can't wait to lounge atop these buttery soft cushions, coffee in hand gazing out at amazing vistas through wrap around windows.

We have two large dogs, I know AS says these are durable, but probably not against 200lbs of dog durable. With limited space I don't know how logical the "No dogs on the couch rule is" besides, I like to cuddle my dogs. How do you protect your seats? Throw blankets over everything? How durable is the upholstery really?

shadesohippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadesohippy View Post
Hi all,
The Airstreams we've been looking at have this amazingly soft leather on all the cushions. I can't wait to lounge atop these buttery soft cushions, coffee in hand gazing out at amazing vistas through wrap around windows.

We have two large dogs, I know AS says these are durable, but probably not against 200lbs of dog durable. With limited space I don't know how logical the "No dogs on the couch rule is" besides, I like to cuddle my dogs. How do you protect your seats? Throw blankets over everything? How durable is the upholstery really?
....our bc stays down...I believe his nails could ruin the cushions..

tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:04 PM   #3
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Our Great Danes (165 ea) usually lounge on the floor but there are occasions during cold winter nights when 'couch use' is authorized. We have Ultra-Leather and it has never been damaged but for safety sake we bought a large roll of cotton, blue jean weight material (3 yards of 60" wide) to drape over the couch surface. I sewed two inch wide hook & loop tape to one side of the cotton drape and it's mate along the upper backside of the couch. The drape stays put despite two wiggling/repositioning bodies through the night.

Sirs Gawain & Galahad
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
I think for my own peace of mind I'd invest in a pet seat cover. Many can be found on EBay & Amazon. But be aware most are a "universal" size and fall a little short in width for the rear area. This may explain why some make their own protective covers.

Our 80 lb dog for example, would never chew or intentionally damage anything. But his mild separation anxiety causes him to climb into the front seats if we leave him for even a few minutes. He's just trying to see where we are, but we put covers on the front seats too just so he doesn't dig a nail into the ultraleather.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The ultra leather is actually very durable, but I would cover where you are going to allow the dogs to lay, as they will over time create wear spots if they tend to go to favorite spots.

Maggie
Old 06-25-2018, 06:54 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Right now we are down to one 80 lb. boxer. We have home rules where all furniture is dog friendly and he sleeps in our bed, and Airstream rules where he doesn't because I don't want to damage the ultra-leather and the bed is too small to join us!

I felt guilty the first couple of trips because he's a pro at giving the sad look when he doesn't get what he wants. But I stuck it out and once he realized the new rules weren't going to change is totally happy sleeping in his dog bed on the floor.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:14 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Grants Pass , Oregon
You guys confirmed what I was thinking. I saw another thread where someone mentioned moving blankets too. I wasn't excited about the cream colored ultra leather, until I felt it! Oh my goodness its so soft, but two Rottweilers on guard looking out the windows would be a mess I fear.
The dogs are a concern due to logistics, but we'd never consider extended traveling without them!
Old 06-25-2018, 09:58 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Locust grove , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Kyet
I have a fuzzy blanket folded in half and tucked into the back and sides of the sofa so it looks tidy. There is no way my dogs would sleep on the floor and this is just more comfortable for all of us. Looks a little congested in here but that's because when we are the move the cooler and dog bed (for outdoors) stays near the wall. Sometimes 1 of the pups will move over to that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9403.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	315081  
Kyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Our mob of 4 smallish (all rescues) pups travel in their personal crates, and sleep in the AS the same way. True, they love to sneak up on the bed in the Airstream, but they know they are pushing it...and the bed is made up to resist dog hair and their occasional muddy feet when we are not sleeping. They travel with us all the time--wouldn't have it any other way.

We also use fleece blankets designed for dog use--they cover the dinette seats when we travel, and cover the leather couches at home. Our pups are absolute lap magnets, so keeping them off the furniture is a loosing battle.

In the tow vehicle, we use a dog hammock, which is a big piece of canvas with a waterproof backing. It has straps that go around the back seat headrests, a zipper in the front so it can be 'split' to allow one rear seat passenger, and another set of straps to go around the front headrests. We put at least one medium dog crate on the back seat for the three smaller 12 pound dogs, and the 22 pound dog has a chest harness that ties to a seat belt to restrain him for safety. The Dog hammock came from PetSmart. Don't recall the brand. It appears to resist dog claws well...it happens to be a gray color that goes nicely with our TV interior...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:13 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Not sure about only two large dogs, but with three large dogs there seems to be no problems so far. The only issue really is that there is not enough room for them to all "sneak" onto the recliners at one time. How do I know that's what happens? Be real quiet when you come back to the trailer, or check late at night ....

The leather really isn't leather. It's some sort of urethane based "stuff". They do an amazing job of making you *think* it's leather.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:18 PM   #11

1973 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Wakaw , Saskatchewan
Large dog versus soft buttery leather? Relieved that you are not considering covering your cushions in large dog leather. Although, my standard poodle discovered the fun stuff inside cushions and ripped apart a sofa love seat and chair covered in ''bonded leather'', so I briefly considered it myself. I glued (carpet glue) real leather patches over the bogus ''bonded leather''. Buddy was two at the time and hasn't done anything so destructive since. The patches have held for 3 years now.
kerry westco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Acton , California
Greetings, we also travel with two great danes who like to "lounge" on the twin beds and gaze out the windows most of the time
intyme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:15 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Currently Looking...
Quartz Hill , California
Ultra leather is extremely durable. My previous Airstream also had it. I used a couple of bath rugs with no skid back to cover the spot where our border collie liked to sit. We have since abandon their use as not needed. Our 20 pound cockapoo was digging on it a while ago. We stopped him immediately. His claws failed to mar the leather which is actually a high quality vinyl.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:23 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
30,000+ miles later, here's BigDog on his fuzzy blanket couch, next to the TV:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BigDog on couch.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	365.5 KB
ID:	315127