Old 07-06-2018, 11:01 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Joanna,

We travel in a 22 footer with up to 6 dogs, but they are all 22 pounds each or less. The biggest hassle we had was getting them unloaded from the truck and into their shared crates in the AS. Ditto walking them in pairs.

One of the weird things we did was to put a person into the AS immediately after parking, and I would carry the dogs from the truck, pass them through the sliding panel in the latched screen door to the person sorting them out and then feeding and watering them.

On the road, we stopped every couple hours for fuel and dog walking. Mealtime we parked and opened windows and fantastic fans in reasonable weather (85 degrees or less) and left dogs locked in the AS in crates. If it was too hot, dogs stayed in truck and at least one responsible person monitored the truck running with A/C on. Other adult ran for take-out food.

The dogs. after a day or so, seemed to decide the AS was their big silver doghouse, and understood that was home base. We had a couple walkabout incidents, but once they realized they were out of bounds, they came running back to be let into the AS. Our big guy did explore a campground with me following him at a slow walk, but he did circle back around to the AS when he had finished sniffing everything he wanted to.

They will settle in to a routine easily. Ours sleep in crates at home and on the road for safety. It gets a little crowded in our rig, but we can still cook and shower--just have to work around a bunch of medium dog crates. They loved to be clever, jump on our bed and sit there as if to say, "Lookie where I am!" occasionally, but generally behaved and cooperated with each other. This was during road trips of 4-6 weeks duration. They loved traveling and exploring new places.

Sadly, a few of them have passed, but the remaining 4 still think the truck is the gateway to adventure, and want to jump in and go somewhere if they spot us loading it with 'stuff'.

It's all good, just have to work out a routine, IMHO.

We carry their regular food, and let them drink only our usual brand of bottled water brought from home to avert digestive upsets. I can tell you that a barfing pup on the road is NO fun, and I swear they hold gallons when they get sick. Also make sure we carry clean-up bags, leashes and harnesses, and their rabies and other shot records, just in case.

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:58 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Dungville next to Donkeytown , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Joanna,

We travel in a 22 footer with up to 6 dogs, but they are all 22 pounds each or less. The biggest hassle we had was getting them unloaded from the truck and into their shared crates in the AS. Ditto walking them in pairs.

Holy scheiŖe thatís a lot of tails! Youíve got me beat in numbers although Iíve got the heavy weight advantage with Walt. I couldnít imagine that many tikes to transport and settle in. You must love them dearly.

Many years back I met a woman traveller in Central America who travelled with her beloved sidekick - a freakin monkey! She was as nutty as a five dollar fruitcake, but she had the biggest heart and strongest handshake Iíve ever encountered. I know she would cross the divide many times, but never sure how she passed through customs.

Good tip on having copies of petís health cert and shot records.

You had me down as a damsel?
Darling, I'm the wolf.
Joannadannna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:23 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
They are all rescues with their own sad origin stories, but they are all lap magnets and lovers. Itís worth the effort. Helps me maintain a centered, calm attitude as well.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:11 PM   #46
1 Rivet Member

Grants Pass , Oregon
I really appreciate all these ideas and the different solutions everyone uses. We've had some very honest discussions about the dogs in our potential Airstream. My male is reactive and protective of his space here at the house, our female is just a dream dog. I'm hopeful we can find a way to make it work for both of them, and both of us!
Old 07-08-2018, 11:41 PM   #47
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
shadesohippy, I'm sure you can.

We found that having a 90 lb dog in a 19' Bambi results in a lot of do-si-do maneuvers. Fortunately Toby understands basic commands like, "Move" and "Go this way."

I do feel that how people want to sleep at home and camp with their pets is NOMB. But I will say, that having had two children with asthma, one of them with allergic reactions to excessive pet hair (dander,) makes me really sensitized to the problems some people can have with otherwise loveable family pets.

One of my son's scariest reactions as a child was in the home of some acquaintances with a dog and lax housekeeping standards. (As an adult, his asthma is controlled by medication, but he's permanently lost some lung capacity.)

We used to carpool with another couple to a special interest club that met monthly about 45 minutes away. The wife didn't want to drive in our vehicle, due to dog hair that was still a problem for her even after we cleaned the interior as best we could. (They drove.)

For this reason, our current truck has seats that wipe clean (not fabric upholstery) and our dog is not allowed in any of the bedrooms.

Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote