Old 06-25-2018, 05:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Beautiful Dane---My son has one that looks similar, and is the same size--"Titus" thinks he's a lap doggie...he will carefully sneak into your lap when you are not looking, given a chance!

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:25 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Dungville next to Donkeytown , Alabama
Large dogs vs soft buttery leather

Rgentum now thatís a long stretch of dog, beautiful!

As far as protecting pseudo leather, I purchased one of those pet sofa covers which are waterproof and pooch proof. I split it in half and seamed up the ends to make 2 very protective lounge covers. They donít bunch up because of the thin rubber backing. Purchased at Target for $30.

You had me down as a damsel?
Darling, I'm the wolf.
Joannadannna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:27 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
we put a moving blanket down before dogs go on leather
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:00 PM   #18
sjo

Alto , Alaska
Went bare bones

I have a 65 pound briard that is everywhere I am, sofa included. I first covered it with a grippy sofa cover but soon got sick of it, went bare bones, and held my breath. We camped for 3 months while she did her normal everyday thing, jumping on the sofa at every passing dog, wanting to see where I went, take a nap....but there wasnít so much as a scratch.
sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:05 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Large dogs vs soft buttery leather

I have a 12 pound Pomeranian Chihuahua mix that leaps and dances all over our leather couches at home, pushes under the dog blankets to make a nest when itís cold in the house. He thinks itís great fun. No obvious damage so far. Dunno how he does it.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
I recently recovered our Eddie Bauer cushions with Ultraleather. With some extra UL material, I did some durability testing, aggressively dragging car keys and other sharpish things on it - no damage. I also let ketchup, mayo, chocolate sauce, sunscreen and baby oil sit on it overnight. All of it wiped off without a stain. I donít worry about our cushions anymore.
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:42 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Grants Pass , Oregon
I love hearing about how people make it work!
Now I just need an Airstream
Old 07-01-2018, 10:26 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Our dogs sleep on the couch all the time. Our six year old ultra leather still looks like new. We lived in ours full time for a couple of months with 3 dogs and a parrot. I LOVE the ultra leather.
Click image for larger version

Name:	3couch.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	315626
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:05 AM   #23
Sam and her wheelman Zeke

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
It WILL scratch

I didn't think the upholstery "leather" would scratch, the salesperson scraped it with a fork and there was no mark left. So I was not worried about our two retrievers. We traveled for many miles and many months and then all of a sudden, dog nail scratch marks appeared. So it WILL scratch. It is not noticeable in our case, you have to turn it so the light hits it a certain way. Still, I made covers. I also did this because I find that pebbled surface difficult to clean. I can just toss the covers in the washing machine.

2015 RAM Laramie Eco-Diesel 4x4 crew cab w/RAM box
upnorththree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:20 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
The ultra leather is surprisingly durable. After 12 years and thousands of miles traveling with two 100 lb Labradors, the sofa still looks new and no scratches or punctures. I lay down a piece of cowhide or a sheepskin on the surface for the dogs to lay on though.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:45 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
2015 20' Flying Cloud
Allyn , Washington
Juno

Juno loves the leather with or without a blanket. From Atlantic to Pacfic, Alaska to Utah and onto Newfoundland and it still looks as good as new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DB8E4992-FA1F-4DE5-88C2-CDED843B9EE8.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	315642  
Ray Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
It's good to hear that Ultraleather is so durable, even with large dogs. Here's another idea, for those who prefer not to let their pets on the couch in the first place. Within a little over a week, the "ScatMat" I bought last month completely cured my cat of jumping up on the dinette and kitchen counter. When stepped on, it gives an unpleasant but not painful tingle.

After a week or so of alternately leaving the mat out on the table and the counter, she stopped even trying to jump up—something she used to do the instant I turned my back. I thought I’d never get her to stop, but this gadget did it. ScatMats come in various shapes and sizes from 30" x 16" to 60" x 12", so you can cover almost any area.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:58 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadesohippy View Post
Hi all,
The Airstreams we've been looking at have this amazingly soft leather on all the cushions. I can't wait to lounge atop these buttery soft cushions, coffee in hand gazing out at amazing vistas through wrap around windows.

We have two large dogs, I know AS says these are durable, but probably not against 200lbs of dog durable. With limited space I don't know how logical the "No dogs on the couch rule is" besides, I like to cuddle my dogs. How do you protect your seats? Throw blankets over everything? How durable is the upholstery really?
The best way to protect leather upholstery from canines is to keep their nails cut short and to use a nail grinder (a Dremel will do) to smooth the rough edges. It may take several weeks to whittle the toenails down if they've gotten long, but it's worth the effort to avoid cutting the quick, since doing so will tend to make even a creampuff dog run for the hills when you pick up the nail clippers. Using some sort of washable covers or throws after the pedicures will help to keep your AS from acquiring that Eau de Chein fragrance.
windfallsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:08 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfallsp View Post
The best way to protect leather upholstery from canines is to keep their nails cut short and to use a nail grinder (a Dremel will do) to smooth the rough edges. It may take several weeks to whittle the toenails down if they've gotten long, but it's worth the effort to avoid cutting the quick, since doing so will tend to make even a creampuff dog run for the hills when you pick up the nail clippers. Using some sort of washable covers or throws after the pedicures will help to keep your AS from acquiring that Eau de Chein fragrance.
The nail grinder is a good idea, though we haven't went that direction yet. We use the clippers (carefully) along with a peanut butter anesthetic applied to the other end of the dog.

Neither of my pups seem to mind anything I do, as long as they have access to a spoonful of peanut butter while I'm doing it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Airstream Forums mobile app

TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote