Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

west orange , New Jersey
Intact Dobey on a Maiden Voyage.

I am heading out on my maiden voyage on December 20th. NJ to Florida. In tow, besides my new 27' flying cloud will be my three childeren under three, my wonderful wife, that finally approved the AS and my 70lb intact Dobey. So, I expect there to be a challenge or two along the way, as I am new to RVing. So I guess my question for this forum concerns my dog. Any general advice? will I find it difficult to locate a campground that allows my dog? How would you tested Airstreamers plan for such a journey?
Thanks
famlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Intact Dobey on a Maiden Voyage.

Greetings famlyman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by famlyman View Post
I am heading out on my maiden voyage on December 20th. NJ to Florida. In tow, besides my new 27' flying cloud will be my three childeren under three, my wonderful wife, that finally approved the AS and my 70lb intact Dobey. So, I expect there to be a challenge or two along the way, as I am new to RVing.
It sounds like you have a big adventure planned, and I am sure you and your family will enjoy it immensely with a little forethought and preparation.

Quote:
So I guess my question for this forum concerns my dog. Any general advice? will I find it difficult to locate a campground that allows my dog?
When departing NJ, you will be traveling during a time of year when many, but not all campgrounds will be closed. Those that are open may have limited spaces available, particularly with water and/or sewer. Once you get South of the Winter hazard area you will find a greater selection of campgrounds. While there are few campgrounds that prohibit pets entirely, I am aware of several that do not approve certain breeds of dogs . . . and the non-approved breeds can vary by campground but usually include either a size-based limit such as no dogs over 50 pounds . . . or some actually list breeds that are not permitted on premises and this typically includes those large breeds with "guarding" instincts which might include your Doberman. I traveled with two Chihuahuas (one 2 pounds and the other 7.5 pounds), and have only been turned away from one campground that did not permit any pets.

Quote:
How would you tested Airstreamers plan for such a journey?
Thanks

The things that I would consider while traveling the portion of your route in areas prone to severe Winter weather:
  • Plan on traveling during daylight hours. Towing an Airstream on unfamiliar roads at night, particularly when the whole experience is new is a stress that should be avoided. Once your coach is an old friend travel at night is not all that intimidating, but something most avoid due to the additional stresses of night driving.
  • If you find that you must tow on pavement that has been treated with ice melt or other winter weather chemicals, you will want to thoroughly wash the coach at your first opportunity as these chemicals are generally quite unkind to the Airstream's aluminum skin.
  • If a severe Winter storm or severe Winter Weather event threatens . . . don't try to outrun the storm. Speaking from experience the panic attacks and white knuckle driving can be devastating - - I tried to outrun a Winter storm on my first long-distance tow with my Overlander and in hindsight, I should have spent a few minutes locating a safe parking place to wait out the storm in my Airstream or a motel. . . . it would have increased my travel time 36 to 72 hours, but the reduced stress would have been worth the schedule sacrifice.
  • While you are traveling through the region with Winter climates not conducive to camping . . . call ahead to verify whether campgrounds are open and have space (you may also want to ask about any utilities that you will require for your stay to be sure that they are available). While making your inquiries, you may want to consider asking about the facility's pet regulations.
Enjoy your Adventure!!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote