Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2003, 09:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
In Memoriam -- Kelsey

We are mourning the recent loss of our Airstreaming pal, Kelsey on 11/9/03 -- she had kidney and lung cancer. We adopted her 2 1/2 years ago when she was 5. Lucky for her, she joined us on every Airstream camping trip we ever took since purchasing our trailer in March, 2002.

The attached photo was taken on her last day -- at Salisbury Beach. We spent the day with her doing all her favorite things -- fishing in the lake, walking in the park, playing in the surf. She will be missed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kelsey in memoriam 2.jpg
Views:	944
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	3847  
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 10:33 AM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
She was a lucky dog, and I'm sure she really enjoyed her last years with you. What a great way to spend her last day! You were so lucky to have that opportunity to spend time with her doing what she loved. My heart goes out to you...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 12:09 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Sorry to hear of your loss. Those who aren't owners don't always understand the grief you feel when you lose your 4 legged pals. Few creatures in life can give you unconditional affection like these guys can.
Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 12:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
That is sad news, we r so sorry 2 hear abt a loss of a member of a family, we lost our faithful " BEN " many years ago, and although our new Pup of 7 years is a wonderful companion, our 'ole Ben is 4ever in our thoughts, here is a foto of his favourite place, this was taken 2day...these r the ONLY roses left in our garden, the big ones have long gone into ground 4 the winter...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0005.jpg
Views:	872
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	3848  
Old 11-16-2003, 01:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Nancy we are so sorry

Marvin and I are so sorry to hear about Kelsey. I know how you must feel .. I had to have my beloved Beagle .. Pockets put to rest over 2 years ago.. He is still missed and much loved. But Toby has helped fill the void.Kelsy will not be forgotten and you will have many happy memories of her and your trips.. Our condolences.. Annie and Marvin
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 01:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Sorry to hear of your loss. I don't have any pets right now, but I have in the past and know how much they truly are family members.

It sounds like she had a good life, and is probably right now Airstreaming in heaven.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 02:13 PM   #7
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
so sorry to hear that news. I'm glad Diane and I had the pleasure of meeting her. She was indeed, a lucky dog.

Our condolances to you guys. Its so hard to loose a family member....
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 04:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Rainbow Bridge

Rejoice in the knowledge that she will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 06:55 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
I found this little poem a long time ago, and whenever we lose a pet I go back and read it, and it always brings me to tears, because the sentiment is so true. So although it's about a beloved pet parrot, I wanted to share it:

Under this sod lies a sourdough parrot.
Her heart was gold, pure fourteen carat.
Polly now can spread her wings
Leaving behind her all earthly things.
She ranks in fame as our dear departed,
A just reward for being good-hearted

- from a memorial plaque in a Klondike graveyard

Old 11-16-2003, 06:59 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Nothing more to add---Just know I feel your lost---
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 07:24 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cincinnati , Ohio
I'm sorry about your loss. You can tell by the smile on her face, she was very happy to have you as her human companions! Thank goodness for all the wonderful people that help take care of God's creatures!

One of my favorite sayings is "the more I know people, the more I like my dog!".

Debby
Herm and Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 01:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
It's hard.

I had to put my Shepherd down 10/9/03 for health problems. She was 11. I saw her the day she was born. She was 5 weeks old when I took her home. I still miss tripping over her.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 03:16 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

sorry yukionna, sorry toaster,

I had to put Tessa down last year. Somehow she managed to live for over 14 years, but I'm not sure how. At 1 she was abandoned on the side of the road in minus 30 deg C weather which is when we adopted her. At 4 she was hit by a car and lost her hind leg and 1/2 tail. (40 stitches) At 7 she was kicked by a horse and couldn't move for a week. When she was 8 she was attacked by 4 coyotes and left for dead before crawling home (100+ stitches) I cursed everytime I had to pay the vet bill. I use to call her the most expensive mutt alive. I miss her.

My condolences.

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 03:00 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
Wow, condolances to all. bbb, are you sure your dog wasn't a cat? Sounds like she used up at least nine lives! What a survivor.

I feel for you, toaster. Our Eskimo girl Alki we picked out from the litter before her eyes were open, and the breeder sent us baby pictures in the mail every week until she was ready to go home. She's been with us 9 years now, and I can't even stand to think she won't live forever.

Stay strong and remember the good times, all of you...

Old 11-19-2003, 05:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Thanks everyone for all the condolences. My other Golden Retriever, Duke, who just turned 12 is the "energizer bunny" of dogs! He was the runt of the litter and wasn't expected to survive; he has severe hip dipsplasia <too lazy to pull out the dictionary for spelling>; was recently diagnosed with "Horners syndrome" and has now outlived 3 younger Goldens we have owned over the years!
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 05:57 PM   #16
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally posted by yukionna
Thanks everyone for all the condolences. My other Golden Retriever, Duke, who just turned 12 is the "energizer bunny" of dogs! He was the runt of the litter and wasn't expected to survive; he has severe hip dipsplasia <too lazy to pull out the dictionary for spelling>; was recently diagnosed with "Horners syndrome" and has now outlived 3 younger Goldens we have owned over the years!
yukionna,

sounds just like my oldest golden rocky, good health lotsa energy.
he is twelve also!

got to save a farm dog named caramel today. we were working along a busy highway when i heard screeching tires and a yelping dog.

i could only think the worst had happend.

she was hit by a flatbed lumber truck, went under the rear duals. she went running for home on three legs. our crew caught her and calmed her down to the point where i could put my jacket sleeve over her muzzle. she was in shock and wanted to bite.

luckly there was a vet hospital 1/2 a mile away. we loaded the wounded dog up in one of our trucks and took her there. the vets were very caring and took her right in.

later i stopped by to see how she was doing, found out she had only cuts on her legs and no broken bones! lucky dog! i met her owner, a farmer near where we were working. he was very thankful we took good care of his dog.

i'm thinking caramel will be staying alot closer to home from now on.

glad she wasn't hurt any worse than a few cuts!

john
Old 11-19-2003, 08:35 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Yukionna and all,

please accept our most heartfelt condolonces for your tailed losses.

Both my husband and I have owned many pets and have unfortunalety had to suffer their loss. It's a devastating event.

Our 2 current pups are healthy and strong and hopefully will accompany us for many years. Needless to say they're so much "family" that our name/business includes them (see avatar).

Personally I still remember my first dog, Egmond, a stunning blue Doberman. Taught me how to walk! Died of stomach cancer at the age of 13. Still miss him terribly.

My husband had to put his suffering 19 year old kitty, Jabba (because she was as fat as 'Jabba') to sleep a few months ago, after his 15 year old Westie had just passed away of Kidney failure.

A sad year in a way but our new puppy Sasha keeps everyone so busy and full of life that you'd think they're all alive in her!

Our prayers go to all our beloved lost four legged friends/brothers. We'll never forget you!

At True friend's website "TFMemorial.org" you may create your own special memorial to honor your lost loved one and help the healing process aswell as keeping precious memories alive.
(All proceedings go to Rescue animal programs).
Old 01-15-2004, 08:08 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

you are in my prayers

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

sincerely Ray L
nu2argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 09:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Re: In Memoriam -- Kelsey

Quote:
Originally posted by yukionna
We are mourning the recent loss of our Airstreaming pal, Kelsey on 11/9/03 -- she had kidney and lung cancer. We adopted her 2 1/2 years ago when she was 5. Lucky for her, she joined us on every Airstream camping trip we ever took since purchasing our trailer in March, 2002.

The attached photo was taken on her last day -- at Salisbury Beach. We spent the day with her doing all her favorite things -- fishing in the lake, walking in the park, playing in the surf. She will be missed.
You guys were lucky to have her, she looks like a sweetie.
I'd like to think that day you spent on the beach with Kelsey wasn't, in fact, her last day - only her last day with you. Love cannot die, and neither can joy or intelligence, all things she surely expressed just by being who she was. I believe that puppy is continuing on like every other good idea, and will forever.

Brad
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 10:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
In Memoriam

Hi, all.
This is something I wrote many years ago for a girlfriend who had to put her beloved Dobie down for one of those unfair illnesses like some of you have mentioned. I also know such pain.
I called it, You're Not Here Anymore.
Sitting here quietly, thinking
staring sadly at the spot that was yours
beside the T.V.
You're not there anymore.
I will remember forever
the closeness we shared,
the security I felt
just knowing you were there.
You're not here anymore.
I can still clearly see
those soft brown eyes,
The way they would express
exactly what you were trying to say,
untill I finally realized,
it's time to go, Outside.
I shall never cross it from my mind,
the look of pain in those eyes
and, how they seemed to be crying,
What is happening to me?
Please make this pain go away.
I remember those eyes.
The things they would say.
There is an emptiness now
in my heart, in my life, beside the T.V.
There are echoes of you
outside of the door.
There is an emptiness there,
Because you're not here anymore.
Thanks for letting me share, and my sincere condolences to all of you who have expressed your feelings of loss of a dear friend of fur or feather.
Bob
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote