Old 11-19-2003, 06:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Thanks everyone for all the condolences. My other Golden Retriever, Duke, who just turned 12 is the "energizer bunny" of dogs! He was the runt of the litter and wasn't expected to survive; he has severe hip dipsplasia <too lazy to pull out the dictionary for spelling>; was recently diagnosed with "Horners syndrome" and has now outlived 3 younger Goldens we have owned over the years!

Old 11-19-2003, 06:57 PM   #16
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally posted by yukionna
Thanks everyone for all the condolences. My other Golden Retriever, Duke, who just turned 12 is the "energizer bunny" of dogs! He was the runt of the litter and wasn't expected to survive; he has severe hip dipsplasia <too lazy to pull out the dictionary for spelling>; was recently diagnosed with "Horners syndrome" and has now outlived 3 younger Goldens we have owned over the years!
yukionna,

sounds just like my oldest golden rocky, good health lotsa energy.
he is twelve also!

got to save a farm dog named caramel today. we were working along a busy highway when i heard screeching tires and a yelping dog.

i could only think the worst had happend.

she was hit by a flatbed lumber truck, went under the rear duals. she went running for home on three legs. our crew caught her and calmed her down to the point where i could put my jacket sleeve over her muzzle. she was in shock and wanted to bite.

luckly there was a vet hospital 1/2 a mile away. we loaded the wounded dog up in one of our trucks and took her there. the vets were very caring and took her right in.

later i stopped by to see how she was doing, found out she had only cuts on her legs and no broken bones! lucky dog! i met her owner, a farmer near where we were working. he was very thankful we took good care of his dog.

i'm thinking caramel will be staying alot closer to home from now on.

glad she wasn't hurt any worse than a few cuts!

john

Old 11-19-2003, 09:35 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Yukionna and all,

please accept our most heartfelt condolonces for your tailed losses.

Both my husband and I have owned many pets and have unfortunalety had to suffer their loss. It's a devastating event.

Our 2 current pups are healthy and strong and hopefully will accompany us for many years. Needless to say they're so much "family" that our name/business includes them (see avatar).

Personally I still remember my first dog, Egmond, a stunning blue Doberman. Taught me how to walk! Died of stomach cancer at the age of 13. Still miss him terribly.

My husband had to put his suffering 19 year old kitty, Jabba (because she was as fat as 'Jabba') to sleep a few months ago, after his 15 year old Westie had just passed away of Kidney failure.

A sad year in a way but our new puppy Sasha keeps everyone so busy and full of life that you'd think they're all alive in her!

Our prayers go to all our beloved lost four legged friends/brothers. We'll never forget you!

At True friend's website "TFMemorial.org" you may create your own special memorial to honor your lost loved one and help the healing process aswell as keeping precious memories alive.
(All proceedings go to Rescue animal programs).
Old 01-15-2004, 09:08 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

you are in my prayers

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

sincerely Ray L
Old 01-15-2004, 10:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Re: In Memoriam -- Kelsey

Quote:
Originally posted by yukionna
We are mourning the recent loss of our Airstreaming pal, Kelsey on 11/9/03 -- she had kidney and lung cancer. We adopted her 2 1/2 years ago when she was 5. Lucky for her, she joined us on every Airstream camping trip we ever took since purchasing our trailer in March, 2002.

The attached photo was taken on her last day -- at Salisbury Beach. We spent the day with her doing all her favorite things -- fishing in the lake, walking in the park, playing in the surf. She will be missed.
You guys were lucky to have her, she looks like a sweetie.
I'd like to think that day you spent on the beach with Kelsey wasn't, in fact, her last day - only her last day with you. Love cannot die, and neither can joy or intelligence, all things she surely expressed just by being who she was. I believe that puppy is continuing on like every other good idea, and will forever.

Brad
Old 01-15-2004, 11:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
In Memoriam

Hi, all.
This is something I wrote many years ago for a girlfriend who had to put her beloved Dobie down for one of those unfair illnesses like some of you have mentioned. I also know such pain.
I called it, You're Not Here Anymore.
Sitting here quietly, thinking
staring sadly at the spot that was yours
beside the T.V.
You're not there anymore.
I will remember forever
the closeness we shared,
the security I felt
just knowing you were there.
You're not here anymore.
I can still clearly see
those soft brown eyes,
The way they would express
exactly what you were trying to say,
untill I finally realized,
it's time to go, Outside.
I shall never cross it from my mind,
the look of pain in those eyes
and, how they seemed to be crying,
What is happening to me?
Please make this pain go away.
I remember those eyes.
The things they would say.
There is an emptiness now
in my heart, in my life, beside the T.V.
There are echoes of you
outside of the door.
There is an emptiness there,
Because you're not here anymore.
Thanks for letting me share, and my sincere condolences to all of you who have expressed your feelings of loss of a dear friend of fur or feather.
Bob
Old 01-16-2004, 11:02 AM   #21
nds
3 Rivet Member

Losing a pet is every bit as hard as losing a family member. We had a half collie/german shepard that we had to put down years ago, at the age of 17, due to cancer. That dog had been with us since I was 14. I'm 51 now, and I look back and feel as though I lost a young sister. Dutchess was the smartest dog we had ever owned. You just wish they could last forever.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:14 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Very sorry

Kelsey was way too young. Losing a dog that is young is the hardest to take. Very sorry.

Bob, your poem brought a tear to my eyes. I'll have to save that one.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 01:20 PM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ditto! Penny is getting near that time....I'm gonna be a total wreck!

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 02:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Eric,

I think I will be too! In the 90 seconds or so that I squatted down and petted her, she was about the sweetest, mildest dog I've ever seen.
Brad
Old 01-16-2004, 03:01 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks....she is a sweetheart. When she was about 1 when I adopted her from the shelter, within about a year, she figured out how to escape from her cage....when I placed a twist tie on the door, she still figured it out....then I placed about 6 twist ties around the door as well as the door latch, she still figured it out, but as a gesture left all 6 twist ties by the front door for me to see when I got home. So I placed a padlock on the door and that time she didn't get out, but I would have been impressed had she done it...from about 2 she has never been back in a cage. Now she just rules over the roost!

Seeing the pictures and reading Yukionna words as well as all the kind words folks have posted...as a dog owner it just tugs at your heart........
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 01-16-2004, 03:39 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Diana Langley
I'm sorry for all of your losses. It's really impossible to understand the deep grief that comes from owning such special and loving creatures unless you had to go through the terrible experience.

I had to put my sweet girl Grace to sleep less than three weeks ago. I got her when she was 5 weeks old and about as big as a guinea pig. She was diagnosed with liver cancer when she as 10. Through good care and alternative treatments, we stretched a 6 month prognosis to 2 1/2 years of good quality time.

Dec. 27 we both woke up and she told me it was time. I was with her to the end, holding her and telling her what a good girl she was.

She has left a large and empty hole in my life. It's almost a physical pain at times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grace.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	4463  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Diana Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 03:48 PM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Sorry to hear about that Diana. You know the more I read these, the more it just is hard to see the cute faces knowing they aren't around. I guess I kind of internalize it by remembering what the house is like when she's over at my parents house (who my pooch knows as grandma and grandpa---seriously!). The house is empty and one day when I was having some pizza, I was gonna throw her some of the crust...but she wasn't there.....and it got me thinking....especially now that old Penny is almost 13.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:58 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Poem

With tears in my eyes from reading this thread and as someone who has lost a beloved pet.....

I post this poem and invite each of you to pick a star and name it after your beloved pet. That way when you go out at night you can locate your star and say hello!

Inspired by an Eskimo legend
"Perhaps they are not the stars, but rather openings in Heaven where the love of lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy."

Sheila