Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
How do you turn an outdoor cat into an Airstream traveler?

Is it possible to make our 6 year old mostly free roaming cat an Airstream traveling cat? Here is our Pyewacket heading up to his nesting places in our attic via his custom made attic ladder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0028.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	81202  
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
No mice in that attic!

Hi, put him/her in the car/tow vehicle and go; cats like "Car Rides" too.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
If you find out the "answer" let me know! Used to have a cat that traveled very well... current cat, not so much. Yeowls at night 'cause he's cooped up... gets car sick... We have wound up having the neighbor "cat sit" for us!

Used to have a cat years ago that didn't travel well... Vet told me to give him 1/4 tablet of Dramamine... he traveled just fine after that, but was pretty loopy and had difficulty walking. But then I was driving my VW Bus and it was the 60's....
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:13 AM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn View Post
If you find out the "answer" let me know! Used to have a cat that traveled very well... current cat, not so much. Yeowls at night 'cause he's cooped up... gets car sick... We have wound up having the neighbor "cat sit" for us!

Used to have a cat years ago that didn't travel well... Vet told me to give him 1/4 tablet of Dramamine... he traveled just fine after that, but was pretty loopy and had difficulty walking. But then I was driving my VW Bus and it was the 60's....
Yep, cats is not "cats", like people, they're all different. Best to do a test on a short haul, before starting out on the 2,000 mile Odyssey and find out your pet just won't travel well.

As for the Dramamine, check with the vets today, I'm sure they'll come up with something better, or, at the very least, cut the dose in half (or less). In other words, start with less and work your way up, no need to make the animal sick by guessing...
Old 05-31-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Unfortunately I think you are just asking for problems/stress. That cat is going to want to get out and I think you will spend a lot of you traveling time worrying about it. One can only think of how you will feel if it gets out in a strange campground and you can't find it. Happened to my BIL a few years ago while traveling/moving from California to Maryland. The cat got out in a campground in the west. Fortunately an RV'er saw the posters they left, found the cat days later and delivered to MD a month or so later after carrying it around on their travels as they made their way east.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Springfield , Oregon
My cat now stays in the airstream when traveling, rather than the truck. He has been much happier. He was four years old when we met at a campground. The camp hosts and the cat talked me into giving him a home. It has not been an issue with him wanting out the door. I do not have a microchip on him, but he does have tags and the cylinder where I keep current information -truck license number, camp site number, camp phone.
Anita
Air 6530
coastal me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
at a campground i have seen a cat with a harness on attached to a clothesline so it could walk around quite a bit.

you could always take some feeder mice along with you - release them in the airstream to keep your cat occupied! haha kidding of course!!!
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Is it possible to make our 6 year old mostly free roaming cat an Airstream traveling cat? Here is our Pyewacket heading up to his nesting places in our attic via his custom made attic ladder.
Sarahs' first home was the trailer. I put her in the truck and off we go. She sleeps while travelling on the interstates and is very active when we stop or take an interesting side road.

She gets let out at the camp grounds. I will leave water out for her but the food stays inside the trailer. She is Chipped and she has a breakaway collar with my phone number written on the outside and the inside, as well as the fact she is chipped. Snowball is equally equipped.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Like people, cats don't like change. Michelle did it right—get them accustomed to whatever you want from the first day. But after 6 years, that's a challenge. Every cat I have had experience with has howled whenever in a car (in a cage) until we put a towel over the cage. Then they kept quiet. I don't understand that, but do you want to keep them in the dark all the time? Many years ago, I brought 2 cats 2,000 miles and kept them in the dark all day. It was either them or me. Just getting some cats into the cage can be a major effort. I think you have to change things gradually. If it's an affectionate cat, I think it will be easier, but if it's a very independent or nervous cat, that'll be harder. I'd never let a cat loose in a TV because I'd be afraid of them jumping on my lap, steering wheel, dashboard, or getting under my feet. If you can train them not to do those things, that's great, but cats like to make their own decisions.

Disclosure, I don't care much for cats anymore, but the outside mouser managed to become the inside/outside cat. Ironically, it seems I caused that to happen somehow. Now I can't get a dog because of the risk we'd never see the cat again. This cat's strategy for survival is to disappear, something he's good at. I can't imagine how he'd adapt to a dog when he's wary of me after 9 years. I have to admit I've become somewhat attached to him even if he only likes women (I can appreciate that).

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:15 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Our three year old male cat was an outdoor cat before we adopted him and he loves being taken outside the trailer on the leash for an exploration romp, pulling you to various bushes and smells that may interest him, while looking at birds and other occassional wildlife.

The suggestion of a trial run would be good, preferably a state park with more of a natural outside setting with more space between units. We can't leave him unsupervised on the leash tied to the trailer as he can easily buck out of the harness or get the leash twisted up on various objects outside. It didn't take him long to figure out how to slide the plastic cover on the screen door of the trailer and jump out over the step either.

He's a lot of fun to take with us, mostly sleeps while underway on the front seat between us. In the trailer at night we wake up and see him intently looking out the window at things that interest him. Am certain he prefers going with us camping than his summertime airconditioned lock-up here in his Florida Condo. We take him outside on the leash here at home too, but it's not as much fun as catching his reaction to a wild turkey walking by the trailer like he recently saw at Lake Kissimmee State Park, Fl.

Hope this helps, Pat
Pat Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Ice Cream, cheese, favorite food (boiled chicken livers work well).

Cats are often leery of vehicles and trailers. If you take a cat for a ride around the block and then keep it in the car while serving a treat - such as ice cream or chicken liver - the cat will start to look forward to traveling in the car. Start with very short trips, and work your way up.

Caging a cat in the car is basic safety 101. You only have to have one climb under the brake pedal once. Training a cat to walk on a leash with a halter is also necessary.

At a campground, a cage is much safer than a leash on a clothsline. One user here put the litter pan under the bed, got an expanding screen that you'd use in an attic window, and opened the exterior garage door. The cat lounges in the screened window, the litter pan "vents" and when it's time to change the litter, it's done by pulling the box outside.

Paula
Old 05-31-2009, 06:07 PM   #12
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Our two cats love the trailer. Underway, one rides in a carrier seat-belted in the back seat while the other is free and mostly sleeps on the console between us. The free cat learned very quickly that she can not get on my lap or on the floor under my feet. She has travelled since she was a kitten and she never tries to get out when we stop.

That said, several years ago, I was on I-20 at speed among a lot of 18-wheelers when my (now deceased) 20# cat stepped on the right window-down button. I found myself driving one-handed while desperately hanging on to his tail with the other hand. After that, I found a way to block the window button.

Oh yes, I forgot to add that both cats are chipped and wear harnesses. They both walk on the leash.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote