Old 08-02-2006, 11:24 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Traveling cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
We had a cat "Furbie" he traveled well in our Rv, car, boat and airplane. The trick is similar to kids. Start when they are young. They don't know any better.
Don
Our Furbie was a great cat and traveled very well. Our current cat, Tuffy, hates to travel. He yowls at night when he is cooped up... we have had to resort to making him sleep in the car/truck if we must travel with him. No one has any fun. He hates the litter box. We leave him at home now and he stays with Grandma. She lets him drink out of her faucet, makes new afghans for him to sleep on, makes sure his food dish is always full to the brim, and buys him toys. Just like sending the kids to Grandma's... they get spoiled!

Leave the kids and animals at Grandma's and go camping!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)

Old 08-03-2006, 10:28 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
We travelled with 2 cats until we recently had to put our 18-year old to sleep. He hated to travel, but was diabetic and had to have his daily shots. Our 4-year old female loves to travel and has won 3 first-places at WBCCI rally pet shows. She walks on a leash and always attends happy hour with us.

Our cats travelled in the trailer until the outside temperature went over 95, then in the TV. Both Fantastic fans stay on; front fan blowing in and back fan blowing out. When we stop, the trailer is always at a tolerable temperature.

In the trailer, the cats each had their place; the old cat wedged behind the bed and the young cat between the curtains and front window, watching the world go by. Now that there is just one, she has ridden in the RV with us, sleeping on the console between seats.

The litter box is on a rubber doormat in the aisle of the passthru bathroom. Food and a non-spillable water dish on a rubber pad on the bathroom floor.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:34 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
How Do You Do That?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
Our cats travelled in the trailer until the outside temperature went over 95, then in the TV. Both Fantastic fans stay on; front fan blowing in and back fan blowing out. When we stop, the trailer is always at a tolerable temperature.
Please tell me more about how you have you Fantastic Fans installed. I infer that you have wind proof covers. Can you describe or provide pictures?
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:21 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Please tell me more about how you have you Fantastic Fans installed. I infer that you have wind proof covers. Can you describe or provide pictures?
I do have covers over my Fantastic Fans, but you can travel with the lids full open without covers. I called Fantastic and confirmed this. I travelled over 15,000 miles on two trailers with the lids open and no covers with no problems. Rain sensors work great...we hit a couple of hard downpours and had no water in trailer.

That said, I did put covers on, mainly so that I can leave the lids open at RV parks when I leave the cats in the trailer with the AC on. I set the thermostats so that the fans do not run as long as the AC is running. If the AC goes off or a breaker blows, then the fans will start and keep the cats safe. With the covers, the RV park management doesn't know that I have the lids open and doesn't give me any flack about running the AC with vents open. The lids also make me feel more secure about driving with the lids up, although I never had any problem doing so.

My front fan is modified with an in-out switch which I leave on "IN" constantly. The rear fan blows only out. That way, I have constant airflow through the trailer from the fans. I also have a 12v "Endless Breeze" fan that sets on the floor. I leave that pointing toward the rear and running on low and the cats like to curl up in front of it.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-03-2006, 11:26 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Sorry to Hijack This Thread, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
I do have covers over my Fantastic Fans,
...in the interest of Airstream animal safety, which covers did you install?
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:26 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
By the way

There are prior threads concerning modifying Fantastic fans to blow in or out. Do a search on Fantastic.

If you want the fan to be In only, simply switch the power and ground coming in to the fan.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-03-2006, 11:57 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
...in the interest of Airstream animal safety, which covers did you install?
AeroFlo covers by Camco. They have louvers on the side as well as the back. Fantastic doesn't like covers, but I still get a good airflow through the trailer. In fact, since I have power where I store my trailer under cover, the fans will be running right now at 98 degrees outside. I turn them on when I store the trailer and they run through the heat of the day and turn off at night.

I'm looking at putting a riser under the AeroFlo cover to get even more airflow by allowing the lid to come up a little higher.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-06-2006, 08:53 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I travel with my cat in my B190 - in fact he's half the reason I bought it! (Well, not really, but it was one reason.) My cat can't stay home alone due to food issues, and I don't like putting him in kennels while I'm off vacationing. Plus...I miss him when he's not around - he's very playful and a lot of fun.

I take a carrier along for emergencies, but for the most part I just dump him in the camper before we leave and make sure he doesn't escape (he's not too bad about going for the door, but now and then he'll make a break for it). He makes his way to the upper bunk and curls up and sleeps while we're on the road. I have food, water, and litter out for him, and he'll use them at rest stops if needed; otherwise he just stays up top so quietly that I frequently worry whether he somehow escaped.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:21 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Our scares

As I posted earlier, our two cats ride in the trailer when the temperature is below 95 degrees. One time, we stopped for a break and the big old cat was nowhere to be found. We kept assuring each other that he couldn't have gotten out at the last stop. After we both searched the trailer several times, I happened to raise the bed although there is no way he could get into that storage space.

Lo and behold, there was the cat, happily curled up in the drawer at the foot of the bed. Apparently, the drawer had slid open while we were underway and the cat climbed into the drawer which then slid closed and latched at the next curve in the road.

Our little Japanese bobtail can dispappear in an instant into any open cabinet or wardrobe drawer. We are used to hunting for her. Her most recent exploration was when I repaired a drawer slide last week. By climbing into the opening, she could go under the pantry and into the dead space under the bathroom counter. It took me quite a while to lure her out.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-26-2006, 05:40 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

1986 27' Sovereign
Farmville , North Carolina
Well we are new to the game to, We will be taking our first voyage in our Groove tube . And we have dogs and cats also. Also a bird, so on our first trip No bird and No cats, on the second trip NO cats and no bird, and on the trips that follow NO CATS and no bird,, there you have it,,,, NO CATS in th groove tube!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

but my wife loves her cats,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 08-26-2006, 05:53 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

1986 27' Sovereign
Farmville , North Carolina
Talking Cat or no Cat that is the question

The answer: NO CAT

if you travel or if you are at home.. the first thing the cat wants is to escape:
Then if your feline friend escapes and you cant catch the cat,,, then you will want to stay at the place you stopped and wait for the little critter to show back up maybe when he or she is ready. Then after about 8 hour unscheduled stop you decide to leave someone in your party will be really unhappy and the rest of the trip will not be as planned. ( SOMEONE WONT BE A HAPPY CAMPER ) And the rest of the trip will be spent on the cat the got away,,,,,,, if he/she is hungry, if he/she is ok, if he/she will find there way home someday, That does not make for a Happy trip, and the first trip should be happy with happy memories, not memories if Morris is ok,

Moral of this story
NO CATS
Old 08-26-2006, 08:15 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
We have had both cats get out at one time or another. In every case, they simply went under the trailer and came to me when I called them. To them, the trailer is a haven.

My young cat, who walks fairly well on a leash, can take me back to our trailer in a park with 30 silver bullets parked all around. She in uncanny in knowing which trailer is ours. She likes to walk, but when she is ready, she will tow me home and sit on the step until I open the door.

WBCCI #9632