Old 04-11-2006, 06:47 AM   #15

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Originally Posted by markdoane
The cats should be placed in a burlap sack and tied to the table leg.
This is a bad idea, if the table leg is a folding one it was not designed for this kind of stress and might be damaged in a sudden stop.

**dives for cover**

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:03 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Burlap works.... joke. I like cats....they taste like chicken!... please another joke.
We travel with two dogs. They love to go with us but we have rules. Nobody gets out of the vehicle without a leash on! The door is never left open unless the dogs are out on the teather.
Dog crates are a must as the dogs really do like them, it's home and security.
Cats can be trained, or at least hurded. If your cat is already crate and leash trained then I say go for it. If not then the cats should likely be left home, for everyone's piece of mind.

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:15 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Corpus Christi , Texas
We travel with 2 cats, so I may have some insight. Initially, we tired to keep the cats in the TV, but they were in such a small closed space that they were always fussing and fighting each other. Out of frustration and not knowing what to do, I tried an experiment where I had my wife ride in the trailer with the cats for about 50 miles. My wife had a walkie-talkie and was in constant communication with me in the TV. We were out in the middle of no where in Arizona with very light traffic on the road.

What we found was one cat would go back and sleep on the bed and the other would curl up in the easy chair and they would travel quite blissfully. I asked my wife about fumes and she could smell none. She said it was comparable to riding in the truck. I asked about creaks and rattles and she said in was fairly quiet, no worse than my father-in-laws Winnebago, but we did have some wind noise from a door gasket needing replacement. I also had her check for vibrations or out of balance of the tires and she said there was a very slight vibration.

That was some 50,000 miles and 3 years ago. The cats now travel quite blissfully in the trailer. They have their food, water, and litter box back there and are bothered more by the sounds of the big trucks when we stop at Rest Areas than anything else. The extra space lets them get far enough apart where they are not invading each others personal space.

We do have to be very careful when it is hot. The trailer stays at air temperature as long as you are moving. It is no hotter than the cats being in my garage with me on a summer's day, but as soon as you stop, you must open it up to let fresh air in because the trailer can get flash hot in just a few seconds when at a standstill. This is very important at construction delays, etc. Also, I sometimes leave the bathroom vent open as well as the kitchen vent flapper to allow more air to pass thru if it is particularly hot outside. Exhaust fumes have never been an issue, but then again, our TV has a side discharge exhaust. Never in any of the RV's we've ever owned have we stopped and opened the trailer to hear the gas, CO, or smoke detector going off. TV exhausts out the back may be problematic though.

This method absolutely works for us, but your situation may differ and you should only do what you are comfortable doing.
So Long!
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:15 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
Leave the cats at home, they won't miss you a bit. Almost all cats hate traveling, but unlike dogs, have a more difficult time in communicating that to their owners.
J Goertzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:34 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
We are currently traveling with my 4 year old son, 90lbs black Lab, 40lbs GoldenDoodle, and 4lbs Persian cat - all in our 25' Sovereign.

We keep all the cat stuff in the bathroom. The litter box sits in the shower pan normally (with a plug in the drain to prevent any litter from falling in). When stopped the cat food and water are in small bowls on the bathroom counter. and the cat normally hangs out on the bathroom counter. We usually keep the sliding door open just enough that the cat and enter and leave, but the dogs can't get in.

The dogs normally hang out outside with us (on leash of course), but sleep inside, usually with my son on the front goucho.

All animals travel in the tow vehicle with us, the dogs in back and the cat in a small kennel next to my son.

It works okay, but does get crowded at times. We've only got the one kid though - I'm sure with three children it would be very interesting...

good luck with your trip - are you staying at Round Pond while at West Point?
R&SZinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:43 AM   #20
Rivet Master
2007 30' Classic
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Cats and Dogs, and Issue of Biblical Proportions

Generalization #1
Most dogs love to travel, most cats prefer to stay home.

Generalization #2
If you leave cats at home with enough food and water for a week and a big litter box, when you return, the cats will be happy and healthy with a little food and water left over, and all cat poo in the litter box.

If you leave dogs at home with enough food and water for a week, they will try to eat all the food on the first day, spill all the water, get diarrhea, and go nuts. When you come home the dogs will be emacciated, dehydrated, in a room full of dog poo and torn up dog beds.

Make arrangements to leave the cats at home.

Take the dogs but make rules and assign responsibilities for their care and supervision. Stop every couple hours. Make the dogs stay in the tow vehicle at each stop until on leash. Pick up after them. They ride with humans, never in the trailer. Take a crate for each dog.

We agonized over this question 10 years and three dogs ago. A friendly Airstreamer gave us some great advice, and we can't imagine life on the road without dogs. Cats stay home.

Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:43 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member
2005 28' International CCD
Stanwood , WA
Send a message via MSN to Bill M Send a message via Skype™ to Bill M
Traveling Cats

Hi, we take our six (seven up to a month ago when our Alpha cat died of a stroke, his ashes travel with us) and find they enjoy being where ever we travel. They usually ride in our Excursion, but sometimes we splity them up and a couple ride in the AS. We keep a potty box i nboth places. This is our second AS and when we bought it a year ago ( a new 28'CCD) we immediatly removed the origiona upolstery and had a custom blue vinyl installed.
Since we live in the NW ( Seattle area and Whitefish Montana) we do not have to deal with hot weather except of about six weeks a year. We use a ionization air cleaner at home and are about to try a 12 volt small one for traveling. A 12 volt vac is also a good idea. We are adding batteries and solar charging for the CCD as the origional is less than adequate. A small inverter takes care of the light AC loads. Our kitties have traveled for a long time, and yes there is the occasional spit up, but travel well.
Bill M
05' CCD 28 foot# 2905
04 Excursion Dsl.
7 kitties
Stanwood WA & Whitefish Mt
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:57 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
When I heard about the burlap bag option I had to weigh in. I know, cats are either loved or hated. I love mine. We have two cats and one loves to travel, the other cries the whole time. Cats are not social like dogs and people and would be fine at home. Probably happier too. The neighboor would only have to come in every few days. We leave for a few days at a time and just leave tons of food out and water bowls around the house. I can not imagine having all those animals and the kids, the noise, chaos and smell would be too much for me. If you do want to take the cats we found that a empty twelve pack box on its side with a the other side cut off works as a small disposable litter box. The trip sounds great! Have fun. Good luck figuring out the animal part.
RubyBegonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:55 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I say take the cats & dogs and leave the kids home! <teeheehee> "now I'm ducking for cover"

Our Miss Lily is leash trained and rides in the TV with problem! She LOVES to go camping!

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:20 PM   #24
Site Team
, Minnesota
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Our Miss Lily is leash trained and rides in the TV with us...
Except that's not a cat, it's an Ocelot!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:39 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Originally Posted by markdoane
Except that's not a cat, it's an Ocelot!
Actually, she's an Egyptian Mau ~

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:12 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member
wel you are seeing different answers from all sorts of different people.
Every cat is different. The cat I travel with is only one of the four that i own that I would travel with. Being siamese he is more doglike than catlike.
People ask me how i leash trained him. I put a harness on him and attached a leash and there he went.
If you take your cats on a car ride and they freak out. Definately leave them at home. If they seem allright.. Do it again. and again. and then use your own judgement.
I would never subject bucky to traveling if i thought for one minute he was destressed. He does well at it. Not every cat will.

WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:10 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member
1991 25' Excella
SF Bay Area , California
Red face update

cats stayed home, and didn't speak to us for days when we returned. Dogs and kids came with us, and our TV will never be the same!! actually, things went fine. thanks for all the advice
aeriqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:15 PM   #28
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California

We had a cat "Furbie" he traveled well in our Rv, car, boat and airplane. The trick is similar to kids. Start when they are young. They don't know any better.

NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote