Old 01-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Help, fellow Cat Rescuers!

On Christmas Eve, I rescued a starving kitty on a running path near my house in the Denver Metro area. My landlady will not allow the cat in the house. A friend took her for the week while I was in CA, but can't have her permanently, as she goes in for knee surgery later this week and her son and granddaughter are deathly allergic. I've called every single no-kill shelter in the area over the last two days, and all are full up with kitties in equally desperate circumstances.

Has anyone got a line on a good home for this affectionate and cuddly kitty? She's in the Denver metro area, but I will happily deliver her just about anywhere in the continental US.

She's 8 years old. Due to starvation (she was a bag of bones when I got to her), she now has kidney problems, but the vet is hoping that consistent good food will heal her kidneys up. She has already gained weight, but is still very thin and a bit weak. (She's also showing signs of being rather traumatized by all the moving around she's gone through the last couple of weeks.) She's a total love bug, loves to be held and cuddles into your neck. All meds/shots are now up to date, and we've done full blood work and other tests to make sure she's otherwise okay.

As experienced kitty rescuers know, with this batch of circumstances, if I take this poor puss into a shelter that has a kill policy, her life expectancy will be about 24 hours, if that. She possibly has a long, loving life still ahead of her.

I would totally keep this cat for myself if it was at all possible, but I'll be bouncing between continents for at least the next couple of years if not longer.

If anyone has a line on a loving, quiet home for this adorable kitty, please let me know ASAP!

Phew. Thanks for rescuing me just in time!

At the vets. Not excited about this at all.

"Where are we going neow?"

eta: btw, she seems to have absolutely no problems with being in a traveling vehicle!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
How does kitty feel about (rescue) dogs?

Old 01-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Insofar as I can tell, she seems to have no fear of dogs. I often saw her "talking" to people with dogs on the path where I found her before I realised she was needing a rescue.

Also, when I brought her back to the house, my landlady's dog was going insane at the porch window trying to get at her and she still tried to get inside...although I suppose it's possible she's just not very smart!

Old 01-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
...although I suppose it's possible she's just not very smart!
Hmm.... Something in common with our dog. But she's loveable.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
So is the cat! Hmmm, I don't know if that correlates...

Old 01-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
if you can't find her a home. Here is a Denver area no kill pet rescue place.

Colorado Dog & Cat Rescue, Adoptions & Sanctuary - Every Creature Counts

Ken
Old 01-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Full, I'm afraid - I really have spent two days calling!

Old 01-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
As a last resort, try Best Friends in Utah. Best Friends Animal Society

They take in any animal no matter what age or problem that needs a place to stay and get well. For some it becomes a forever home. Great place to visit and volunteer for a week or two. Incredible facility and people.

They are at Angel Canyon at the heart of the Golden circle of national parks in southern Utah. On any given day about 2,000 dogs, cats, and other animals are in residence and they come from shelters and rescue groups around the country. They have over 30,000 acres and use around 3,000 for the animals and leave the rest wild.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Thanks for the link! A friend who works with feral cats also recommended The Cat House on the Kings. I'll take this cat to any state of the union that she can find a forever home.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Wow, I've been looking at Best Friends' website -- what a fantastic place! I'd love to go out and volunteer for a couple of weeks. Any good places to plant the trailer near there, pattonsr, do you know?

Old 01-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Best Friends is about 5 miles north of Kanab. I haven't been there but rvparkviews for Kanab shows 2 full facility sites at Best Friends (yes, only 2). Hopefully someone who has been there will chime in.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
I am totally going to have to do that. Thanks for the pointer!

Old 01-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #13
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
My niece is moving to CO at the beginning of February. I'll inquire if she'd be interested in a cat for her new house.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Please do, and thank you!