Old 10-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Ouch. It hurts. They add so much to our life. And I would like to think that we add to theirs as well.
Sorry for your loss.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Oh, how I feel for you. I lost my Springer the weekend before last at age 14.5. I was told almost 4 years ago that she had 2 months to live, due to liver cancer. We had already grieved, but finding her curled peacefully in her normal sleeping position still made me turn so very weak. This weekend is also our first trip without her. It is a special bond....even transcending some human relationships. She was such a loyal companion and a brave FIGHTER.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #17
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
"There is no death, only a change of worlds" Chief Seattle You can never hug them and love them enough.... Why God Created Dogs & Cats A ......

And Adam learned humility. And God was pleased. And Adam was greatly improved. And Dog was happy. And the Cat didn't give a hoot one way or the other. Bob
Thanks Bob!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Oh, how I feel for you. I lost my Springer the weekend before last at age 14.5. I was told almost 4 years ago that she had 2 months to live, due to liver cancer. We had already grieved, but finding her curled peacefully in her normal sleeping position still made me turn so very weak. This weekend is also our first trip without her. It is a special bond....even transcending some human relationships. She was such a loyal companion and a brave FIGHTER.
Oh....you too Dzn? So sorry. These pooches are so dear...just hurts like hell to lose them. Be well.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:20 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Sorry to hear about the loss of Molly and the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I found it extremely hard saying goodbye to our beloved pets, especially since we had them since they were babies.

We stopped getting new pets when ours died just before they turned 20.

We couldn't bear doing it again, so we won't be getting any more, I'm afraid.
Hi, Aage: We felt the same way as you. First we lost Blackie and Champ, then we lost Benny and Komaya. We were not going to have anymore pets. Then I lost my parents and Dusty [my parent's dog] adopted us. Komaya was the oldest and made it to 12 1/2 years old. Dusty adopted us at 13 1/2 years old and is now 16. Dusty is in our trailer now as we head for home in a few days.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:58 AM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
It's so hard to lose our furry friends. My Alki pup passed away over three years ago at the age of 15, and just this week I was telling someone about her and choked up. You never forget them, and they will always have a place in your heart.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:12 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
After Gus died, we grieved so intensely that we vowed we would never go thru this again, never have another dog we had to lose.

After a few years, I began to long for a sweet dog to cuddle and love on. Doug is not a dog person, and couldn't understand this. He didn't want another dog.

As time went on, the feeling was stronger, and I told my sweet hubbie that I just felt there was another dog out there for us.....one day, we would find this dog and that would be that. He didn't want another dog, and said if I got another dog, he was getting a new gun.

Just over 3 years ago, Miss Lily found us in Louisiana, and that was that. Doug didn't want another dog, ordered a new gun when we got home.....and also fell in love with Lily.

She is the dearest, most devoted dog, and we love her madly. Also an alpha female who has presented some parenting challenges (dog school this past spring).

I think it is a good thing to keep your heart open to another......dog lovers have so much to give to a pooch in need....and the pooches enrich our lives, giving so much in return.

Maggie
Old 10-20-2013, 06:51 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
It's the only part about having a dog that sucks.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
It's the only part about having a dog that sucks.
Agreed. Perfectly said.

We adopted a lovable oaf named Clem. He was a 4-yr old 125# Bloodhound and loved us mercilessly. He was a massive lap dog. He "hugged" by leaning all 125 of his slobbery pounds into your legs and wagging that whip he had for a tail. Best buddy I ever had.

The average lifespan of Bloodhounds that size is about 8 years. We had him until he was 12 and things had progressed to the point where we had to put him down. Damn near killed me.

When we adopted Daisy (a 2 year old 70# Bloodhound) last year, I hadn't realized a full decade had passed since we said goodbye to Clemmy Boy. The minute we met and she hugged me (see my avatar) I remembered how completely they can own your heart and how wonderful a dog's unconditional love is.

I don't know if waiting 10 years was best. I'm glad I didn't rush out immediately. But whatever the timing, I'm glad I finally let Daisy adopt me. I'm just going to keep loving her up every day I can. It won't make "that day" any easier, but every day with her is that much fuller and that's what I remember about Clem and Scooter and Snoopy 1 and Snoopy 2 and Taffy 1 and Taffy 2....
Old 10-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
So sorry for your loss.

"A good man takes care of his animals, but wicked men are cruel to theirs." Proverbs 12:10
daymonjones is offline   Reply With Quote