Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2005, 11:43 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
An old man and his dog were walking down this dirt road with fences on both sides, they came to a gate in the fence and looked in, it was nice - grassy,woody areas, just what a 'huntin' dog and man would like, but, it had a sign saying 'no trespassing' sothey walked on. They came to a beautiful gate with a person in white robes standing there. Welcome to Heaven;he said. The old man was happy and started in with his dog following him.The gatekeeper stopped him. Dogs aren't allowed, I'm sorry but he can't come with you. Whatkind of Heaven won't allow dogs? If He can't come in,then I will stay out with him. He's been my faithful companion all his life, I can't desert him now. Suit yourself, but I have to warn you,the Devil's on this road and he'll try to sweet talk you into his area, he'll promise you anything, but the dog can'tgo there either. If you won't leave the dog, you'll spend Eternity on this road. So the old man and dog went on. They came to a rundown fence with a gap in it, no gate,just a hole. Another old man was inside. Scuse me Sir, my dog and I are getting mighty tired, mind if we come in and sit in the shade for awhile? Of course, there's some cold water under that tree over there. Make yourselves comfortable. You're sure my dog can come in? The man down the road said dogs weren't allowed anywhere. Would you come in if you had to leave the dog? No sir, that's why I didn't go to Heaven, he said the dog couldn't come in. We'll be spendingEternity on this road, and a glass of cold water and some shade would be mighty fine right about now. But, I won't come in if my buddy here can't come too,and that's final. The man smiled a big smile and said, Welcome to Heaven. You mean this is Heaven? Dogs ARE allowed? How come that fellow down the road said they weren't?That was theDevil and he gets all the people who are willing to give up a lifelong companion for a comfortable place to stay. They soon find out their mistake, but, then it's too late.The dogs come here, the fickle people stay there. GOD wouldn't allow dogs to be banned from Heaven. After all,HE created them to be man's companions in life, why would heseparate them in death? Author Earl Hamner The Twilight Zone
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:51 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.Robert Louis StevensonXIf I have any beliefs about immortality,it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven,and very, very few persons.James Thurber If there are no dogs in Heaven,then when I die I want to gowhere they went. Will Rogers, 1897-1935
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 01:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.Robert Louis StevensonXIf I have any beliefs about immortality,it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven,and very, very few persons.James Thurber If there are no dogs in Heaven,then when I die I want to gowhere they went. Will Rogers, 1897-1935
Just a little correction.
Will Rogers year of birth was 1879 in Oklahoma.
He was a fine man. He loved dogs.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 01:23 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
We too will be saddened by your loss.
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:03 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
West Covina , California
My deepest condolences for each of you who have lost a special friend. And my sincere congratulations that you had someone who was devoted to that loving relationship that you shared. Having gone through the loss doesn't make it any easier to go through it again when another pet reaches that point in life.

As I was reading each of the replies that were, in essence, tributes to each of your pets, tears ran down my face. At least, until I got to the last one. Who says my airstream won't be there???? Wait just a darn minute! I'll bet you don't believe in Santa Clause, either?? I guess we'll just have to agreeto disagree and wait to see who's right...

Thank you for the reminder how special the unqualified love given by our pets is. I plan on going home tonight and giving each of my pets an extra hug (and a biscuit), just because. I'm also going to pat my airstream, just because.

Laurie

Elbow grease is the best lubricant for success.
Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:26 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
Like Laurie above, tears have been flowing reading these poss. I truly like the "old road" story. So true!

We have a greyhound who is getting up in his years. He's the best dog I've ever had-and a comical one at that. He's starting to show his age, and it breaks my heart. But I know that we provide him with a loving home, and I know he's a happy boy. But still, it's hard to see them suffer. My heart goes out to you!
FiveGreers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 05:23 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
billy-bob gone today

Our cat died today, was our loving companion the last 8 years or so. Got him as a sickly stray, nourished and loved him back to health, but suddenly his apparently congenital kidney disease took him from us. Will bury him in the morning in the yard, where he liked it as long as we were near. Cherish your pets while you have them, I'm going to miss billy-bob.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 07:30 PM   #28
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
tphan.

sorry for your loss.
And to everyone else may, everything resolve to a peaceful and happy place.

I have always had pets starting really young: parakeets, turtles, pirahna fish, rabbits, dogs, cockatiels, and now a handful of cats from the shelter.

My father who died last May had a real love for our standard poodle, Ringo. Ringo was the smartest dog in the whole world, and there were moments when Ringo was sure to go to college, and I would stay home and retrieve the paper at the end of the driveway, and then deposit the saliva soaked roll at the feet of my master.

Ringo's SAT's were better than mine, only because he spelled his name correctly on the test form.

Ringo died in 1978, but he always made my dad smile. Even when my father was in his final moments.

Somewhere they are together again, in a land of unlimited firehydrants, trees, anything verticle. And they probably pass by all pets that have come and gone. Both yours and mine.

I must go get the paper now. Here's to our loyal, but short lived friends....

Jonathan
Old 12-27-2005, 07:45 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
So sorry.

We to have a shelter rescue, and they show so much gratitude. I will keep Spot in my thoughts. Although this will not help your pain, but remember his pain will be over. Cancer is such an ugly thing.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:13 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
Chaplain Kent, these are the posts that tear at me the most. I've been in your position enough times to know it is not a pleasant one. It's the price we pay for the unfettered love that our pets share with us.

Please know that when you do make the decision that awaits that it is the right time and that in doing so you are showing the love that you have for your pet to do what you must.

-Alden
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:34 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Chaplain Kent, My heart and prayers go out to you, your family, and Spot! I too have always surrounded myself with pets and getting through their loss never gets any easier. One of my Collies just turned 13 and while he currently is doing fine I can see him slowing down. I pass each hoilday and wonder whether this will be the last spent with him. I try to give him extra hugs and treats and make every minute count. Life is fleeting and precious; you can't take any moment of it for granted. Love Spot and know that he appreciates everything you've done for him. I'll be thinking of you. Diane
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:05 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Cheboygan , Michigan
Lots of company, but it still hurts a lot

I'm a member on a different forum (Martin Guitars), and the Topic concerning losing a pet, either suddenly by an accident or having to "put one down", always draws a multitude of responses!

I still remember Oct 6, 1986 with sadness so I know what you're into. Take some solace in the fact that several people are pulling for you and know you'll make it pass the hurting phase. He gave you his best, now its your turn to do him a favor. Fog
lundfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:52 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
For the LOVE of animals

Chaplain Kent,
I share for you the sorrow in having to make a decision for your pet's declining health. Pictures and memories of the good times you have shared with SPOT, will give a bit of comfort in future times.
I have a rescue center dog, named Baity. He loves camping too! Kev
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:00 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
It is tough losing a friend - we lost our 15 year old cat to cancer in September. He was losing a lot of weight and had become uncomfortable, so reluctantly we made the decision. He had been a family member almost as long as my sons.

Best wishes
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:39 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Spot Died

Spot died today. He stopped eating yesterday and stopped drinking water today. My wife and I had established signs, with the help of the vets, that would let us know when it was time for Spot. Even though he could still stand and greet us, when he stopped eating we knew the time had come.
I stayed with him to the end. He laid peacefully on the table and smiled as I rubbed his ears. There was no pain and now he is free of the burden the cancer caused in his back leg and hip. I will miss him a lot.
I am very grateful for all the heartfelt responses this post has received. Being a chaplain, even retired, I am often at the other end of the sympathy chain. Now I can feel the healing that the outpouring of love and concern can bring at a time like this. I of course appreciate the prayers for my wife, myself and Spot. He was part of God's wonderful creation brought on earth for a purpose.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:45 PM   #36

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm very sorry for your loss. It is something of a blessing that Spot let you know when the time had come, so you wouldn't have to make that awful decision we all dread. At least when he quit eating and drinking it is a sure sign that things are going downhill, and you could step in and give him the easy way out without suffering, even though it increases your pain to do it. It's the last, most selfless gift we can give to them.

Take care and know we are thinking of you.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:39 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
Sending heartfelt sympathy your way from Florida! Spot is running free now and will always be with you!
FiveGreers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:33 PM   #38
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
I'm so sorry to hear about Spot. It's fortunate you were able to be with him at the end, though, and he is now free from pain. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:54 PM   #39
_

. , .
chaplain kent

i've been following your post here and recalling each of my dals and the peaceful pain that the end brings.

it may be too soon for this but here is a writing from eugene o'neill that a close friend and dog lover, gave me years ago when my first dal died in his sleep as an old dog.

i hope it offers you some comfort too when the time is right...of course it applies to any dog regardless of shape or size.

THE LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF SILVERDENE EMBLEM O'NEILL

I, SILVERDENE EMBLEM O'NEILL (familiarly known to my family, friends, and acquaintances as Blemie), because the burden of my years and infirmities is heavy upon me, and I realize the end of my life is near, do hereby bury my last will and testament in the mind of my Master. He will not know it is there until after I am dead. Then, remembering me in his loneliness, he will suddenly know of this testament, and I ask him then to inscribe it as a memorial to me. I have little in the way of material things to leave. Dogs are wiser than men. They do not set great store upon things. They do not waste their days hoarding property. They do not ruin their sleep worrying about how to keep the objects they have, and to obtain the objects they have not. There is nothing of value I have to bequeath except my love and my faith. These I leave to all those who have loved me, to my Master and Mistress, who I know will mourn me most, to Freeman who has been so good to me, to Cyn and Roy and Willie and Naomi and -- But if I should list all those who have loved me, it would force my Master to write a book. Perhaps it is vain of me to boast when I am so near death, which returns all beasts and vanities to dust, but I have always been an extremely lovable dog.
I ask my Master and Mistress to remember me always, but not to grieve for me too long. In my life I have tried to be a comfort to them in time of sorrow, and a reason for added joy in their happiness. It is painful for me to think that even in death I should cause them pain. Let them remember that while no dog has ever had a happier life (and this I owe to their love and care for me), now that I have grown blind and deaf and lame, and even my sense of smell fails me so that a rabbit could be right under my nose and I might not know, my pride has sunk to a sick, bewildered humiliation. I feel life is taunting me with having over-lingered my welcome. It is time I said good-bye, before I become too sick a burden on myself and on those who love me. It will be sorrow to leave them, but not a sorrow to die. Dogs do not fear death as men do. We accept it as part of life, not as something alien and terrible which destroys life. What may come after death, who knows? I would like to believe with those my fellow Dalmatians who are devote Mohammedans, that there is a Paradise where one is always young and full-bladdered; where all the day one dillies and dallies with an amorous multitude of houris, beautifully spotted; where jack rabbits that run fast but not too fast (like the houris) are as the sands of the desert; where each blissful hour is mealtime; where in long evenings there are a million fireplaces with logs forever burning, and one curls oneself up and blinks into the flames and nods and dreams, remembering the old brave days on earth, and the love of one's Master and Mistress.
I am afraid this is too much for even such a dog as I am to expect. But peace, at least, is certain. Peace and long rest for weary old heart and head and limbs, and eternal sleep in the earth I have loved so well. Perhaps, after all, this is best.
One last request I earnestly make. I have heard my Mistress say, "When Blemie dies we must never have another dog. I love him so much I could never love another one." Now I would ask her, for love of me, to have another. It would be a poor tribute to my memory never to have a dog again. What I would like to feel is that, having once had me in the family, now she cannot live without a dog! I have never had a narrow jealous spirit. I have always held that most dogs are good (and one cat, the black one I have permitted to share the living room rug during the evenings, whose affection I have tolerated in a kindly spirit, and in rare sentimental moods, even reciprocated a trifle). Some dogs, of course, are better than others. Dalmatians, naturally, as everyone knows, are best. So I suggest a Dalmatian as my successor. He can hardly be as well bred or as well mannered or as distinguished and handsome as I was in my prime. My Master and Mistress must not ask the impossible. But he will do his best, I am sure, and even his inevitable defects will help by comparison to keep my memory green. To him I bequeath my collar and leash and my overcoat and raincoat, made to order in 1929 at Hermes in Paris. He can never wear them with the distinction I did, walking around the Place Vendôme, or later along Park Avenue, all eyes fixed on me in admiration; but again I am sure he will do his utmost not to appear a mere gauche provincial dog. Here on the ranch, he may prove himself quite worthy of comparison, in some respects. He will, I presume, come closer to jack rabbits than I have been able to in recent years. And for all his faults, I hereby wish him the happiness I know will be his in my old home.
One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress. Whenever you visit my grave, say to yourselves with regret but also with happiness in your hearts at the remembrance of my long happy life with you: "Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved." No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you, and not all the power of death can keep my spirit from wagging a grateful tail.
Tao House, December 17th, 1940

2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 05:14 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Chaplain Kent;

So sorry to hear of the sad news of Spot.

For you and many others that question.....When we lost Aby our Golden to Cancer 3 years ago I came upon this "comforting" thought and like to think that our Aby, Sasha, Fluffy and Nikki will be there waiting for Spot to show him the ropes.

They are all playing together in a timeless place until the day we can be together again.

Peter and I send you a hug of support and condolence for your loss.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote