Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Question Giant dog-Where would they ride?

Hello all-

I'm in the process of getting onto a waiting list for an American Mastiff (aka big, big dog). Last summer we adopted a shelter dog, a lab mix. She's a fantastic addition to the family - I'm very happy with how our family is growing.

Lexi (our shelter dog) is very friendly and always loves to play with other dogs, which got us to thinking about adding a 2nd pup to the family, after Lexi's gone through the puppy stage and is better with her obedience and whatnot.

Which brings me to the Am. Mastiff. The waiting list at the breeder is about a year, which is a good timeline for us.

But before I commit myself to this waiting list, I was wondering about where a large dog would ride? I'm already thinking that our present dog might have to ride in the trailer in her kennel (safely secured of course) as she's getting a bit too big to ride in between the kids (6 and 9 in car seats).

Is that an accepted thing to do if needed? Or would I be hauled off to the Humane Society on animal cruelty charges?

Our TV is a Ford F-150 extended bed, no cap.

I guess an alternative to the dogs riding in the trailer is to simply get a cap for the truck...

Just wondering if anyone else out there shares this issue!

Thanks in advance!
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
2004 25' International CCD
Bend , Oregon
My Vote - get a cap for the truck bed. My dog loves the back of his truck, under cap, all his slobber, hair etc. is easily hosed out when cleaning is needed. Plus he loves to look around while underway. He would committ sucide if he traveled inside a trailer and could not see out. Also this makes it easy to take the dog along when you don't have a trailer.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
west hills , California
I travel with 3 dogs and would never put them in the trailer while traveling - I agree with Mike - put a cap on the truck. Even safely secured items in my trailer have come undone or loose while on the road - I would be a nervous wreck with any living thing back there.
krikles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:09 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'd vote for the truck as well. The ride in the trailer would just be too bumpy. I've heard of people who let their cats ride back there, but I just think dogs would be freaked out.

We solved the problem by getting a full size van. Everyone rides inside!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Giant dog? Maybe anywhere he wants?

Certainly not in the trailer, a cap sounds good.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
I vote for the truck cap, as well.

BTW: On nice days, my sister-in-law used take their great dane for a ride in their two-seater car with a sun roof. They just loved him in the bank drive-thru lane! He loved it too!
Old 12-27-2007, 01:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
In the truck, in a crate for safety. Larger dogs need to be in crates to keep them safe in case of an accident or sudden problem on the road. They will feel more secure too. Ask your breeder for her suggestions on the type and size of crate you will need. Kennel-Air is probably the safest in a crash, but there are others. Both your dogs should be in crates as they become projectiles in sudden stops or accidents. You keep the human kids restrained, keep the hairy kids safe too.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:03 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
west hills , California
There are also seatbelts for dogs - I use these for my 3. They are a harness type with a loop on the back that the seatbelt hooks thru. Worth their wait in gold when they can't jump out the door when stopping for gas, etc.
krikles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:13 PM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I think the other thing you need to consider is proper ventilation if the dogs traveled in the trailer. While you could leave something open in the trailer, the question still begs as to whether that will provide enough temperature control. At least in the truck you can get some direct air flow on your doggies.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
If your dogs are going to ride in the back of the truck, be sure you think of the temperatures. I was considering a pick-up with a truck cap with a sliding window to carry our boy Luke (100# heading for 150#). But then I thought about the extremes of temperature we encounter (0 degrees F to 110 degrees) and decided we needed conditioned space.

I imagine you could install a heater but what would you do when driving in 100 degree plus weather? Ventilation only goes so far.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:47 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
We put a cap on our F 150 and used two crates for the goldens. The crates won't fit side by side in the back, so we used 42 inch ones with 3 doors. We removed the back panel from each and attached the crates together in a line. Both large dogs had the run of both crates. In a pinch we put a third dog in there (a BC in a golden sandwich). This configuration allows you to access the dogs and leaves half the pickup for gear, etc. I was always concerned about not being able to get to the dogs. I don't like them boxed in.

Mary

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:10 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Ledyard , Connecticut
BTW - make sure you get a cap with windows and screens for ventilation for the dogs. We also attached a battery powered fan to the crates in warm weather.

Mary

Old 12-27-2007, 03:40 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by rettoc625
BTW - make sure you get a cap with windows and screens for ventilation for the dogs. We also attached a battery powered fan to the crates in warm weather.

Mary
You can also get a 12v fan, that way you won't have to worry about the batteries going flat on a long trip. Hook it to the cab light lead.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge
Hello all-

I'm in the process of getting onto a waiting list for an American Mastiff (aka big, big dog). Last summer we adopted a shelter dog, a lab mix. She's a fantastic addition to the family - I'm very happy with how our family is growing.

Lexi (our shelter dog) is very friendly and always loves to play with other dogs, which got us to thinking about adding a 2nd pup to the family, after Lexi's gone through the puppy stage and is better with her obedience and whatnot.

Which brings me to the Am. Mastiff. The waiting list at the breeder is about a year, which is a good timeline for us.

But before I commit myself to this waiting list, I was wondering about where a large dog would ride? I'm already thinking that our present dog might have to ride in the trailer in her kennel (safely secured of course) as she's getting a bit too big to ride in between the kids (6 and 9 in car seats).

Is that an accepted thing to do if needed? Or would I be hauled off to the Humane Society on animal cruelty charges?

Our TV is a Ford F-150 extended bed, no cap.

I guess an alternative to the dogs riding in the trailer is to simply get a cap for the truck...

Just wondering if anyone else out there shares this issue!

Thanks in advance!
You can also use fans that are solar powered.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
We have a medium sized crate that has a padded cushion on the bottom in the back of our p.u. for Cody, our English Springer Spaniel..he weighs about 55 lbs. .we put one of those battery operated fans that attaches to the crate for some constant airflow while traveling in warm climates, and have the windows of the 'cap' opened too..he stays safe, comfortable and secure ...he also has access to his water bowl...we stop several times along the way on trps, at least every 2 hours or less, for him to stretch his legs and to let him do what doggies do when they need to ...
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
simple...do what we did. we bought ours a 345 mh. everyone travels together and in comfort.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by 345bill
simple...do what we did. we bought ours a 345 mh. everyone travels together and in comfort.
I have a van. Same result here.....
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:20 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
Please don't think about putting your dog in the trailer while traveling down the road. As an experiment to understand how rough this ride could be, get a pair of walkie-talkies and sit in the back of your own trailer while your significant other drives you SLOWLY around JUST the campground. You will be on that walkie-talkie quicker than you think begging to get out of that trailer.

We traveled with two Newfoundlands for years. Luckily we had a Suburban pulling our Tradewind. We had the entire back area flat and put a couple of nice crates in for our Newfs. With proper crate training they will learn to think of the crate as their "safe haven".

- Mike
air19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:34 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Ledyard , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rettoc625

Mary
It was a 3 way = 12 volt, rechargeable DC and AC. Picked it up at Walmart for about $60.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
And cap it is!

I guess sometimes I need to ask the dumb questions in order to be set straight. I'm new to the big dog world, so wasn't quite certain what others did.

I think the reason why I was wondering if dogs could ride in their kennels in the trailer was b/c when we first purchased the trailer last year, everyone asked if we were going to ride in it while on the road, since it was such a beauty of a trailer.... I was really surprised at that, since I automatically assumed it was a huge no-no.

That being said, I also took a look at what we stash in the bed of the truck when towing... bicycles, cooler, webber bbq and propane tank, you name it, we've got it. I'm beginning to suspect that we bring lots more stuff along on a camping trip than other people, or else we're not packing it properly...

I'm very appreciative of all the responses - thanks very much. I'll start looking into a cap w/ windows and also look into fans. Also will see what the breeder will recommend w/r to equipment for this type of dog - these big guys can be 200lbs and over...

When you do something, may as well do it right, and ask for opinions from those who have done it before. Makes sense.

Cheers!
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote