Old 02-19-2005, 10:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
Talking Dos streaming gatos

We tried a similar approach to what Terry described, but times two. First we got them used to riding in the truck (in their well padded mobile units, AKA Pet Taxi), then we introduced them to the trailer at the storage facility a couple of times. Then we went out for a quick overnight. We travel with the cats in the truck (it's almost always too hot in AZ) and stop every couple of hours at rest areas and bring them back to the trailer to use the litter box and have some food and water. Like Pahaska the litter box is in the shower. We have the CCD with the wrap around front windows and that's gato territory when we're camped. They can see out and watch all the critters, but nobody can see in. Cats are very territorial so there is some swatting now and then (one is a girl over 10 and the other is a boy around 2) in the limited space, but they both end up sleeping with us. We are still working on the leash training...
-Ken

Old 02-19-2005, 05:03 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
C Johnson, We had a cat adopt us several months ago. We didn't want a pet in our lives because we travel. We are taking our first trip soon and are leaving the little critter home with a professional pet-sitter to check on him every day. We're new to cats. How do they do on their own for weeks at a time. This guy hung around our house for over a year with us assuming he belonged to someone in the neighborhood. Not so. So he has about 1 1/2 years of living on his own in our yard. But took to being inside rather fast. Tell us he'd rather be home alone then on the road with us. Please! Jamie

Old 02-19-2005, 09:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle
C Johnson, We had a cat adopt us several months ago. We didn't want a pet in our lives because we travel. We are taking our first trip soon and are leaving the little critter home with a professional pet-sitter to check on him every day. We're new to cats. How do they do on their own for weeks at a time. This guy hung around our house for over a year with us assuming he belonged to someone in the neighborhood. Not so. So he has about 1 1/2 years of living on his own in our yard. But took to being inside rather fast. Tell us he'd rather be home alone then on the road with us. Please! Jamie
Hi Jamie, My cats usually stay home in the house and do just fine with the neighbor looking in on them twice everyday. Once in the morning and once in the afternoon. The reason I want to take my cats along is that I am planning some rather long trips for late this summer and next year. Bones does very well in the truck, but my older cat OC doesn't care for it too much. But, he will walk on a leash tho ! Bones won't he just lays down. lol. Read some of the other replies here. Your kitty might just take to the trailer. Ya never know. If not, I am sure he would be happy to have you out of his house! lol. Good luck.

Chris
Old 02-19-2005, 11:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
They do fine on their own

We leave our 3rd cat (our paranoid schitzofraidycat) at home for weeks at a time with a neighbor girl checking on her about every 3rd day. We have 2 gravity feeders and 2 gravity waterers, but so far she has never had to refill any of them.

Before our oldest cat was diabetic, we would leave the two of them home together. Now, we have to take the diabetic cat with us to give him his daily shots and feed him his (expensive) special diet.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 08:14 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Maybe this is the difference between cats and dogs or maybe we're just lucky.

Brittany loves the trailer and our motorhome, too. In fact, if the Airstream is in the garage and we let her out, she usually runs to the door of the Airstream. We have to explain that we're not going on a trip and she needs to do something else. :-)

One of the reasons we decided to take up 'streamin' was that we could vacation with the dog -- and we're very glad she loves it!
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 11:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Post Thanks for the suggestions

Wanted to say thanks to all who posted a reply to this tread. I am going to start with baby steps and get the cats aclimated to the AS little by little. I think they will be fine after that. I don't feel comfortible enough to have them ride in there tho. They do fine in the cab of the truck. My kitten just lays down and my big orange cat always wants to drive, lol.

Chris