Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2005, 09:37 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I've also heard that dogs shouldn't eat carrots,.............
I have not heard anything that says you can not feed/should not feed carrots.

I have heard however that too many or non pureed can be a bit of a problem. The too many issue refers to an over abundance of certain vitimans and the whole just means that they go in whole and get crunched up and usually will not have time to digest before "leaving". As with most fresh/foods.

Another big topic and very interesting is how the canines digestive system works - understand that too and you can better understand what food breaks down easier than others.

For example - when we fed Taz a modified BARF diet and following blood tests her bun was a little low - indicating lack of protein in her diet - this could have meant two things - one I was not feeding her enough raw meat or she was getting plenty but she was short on the enzimes that play a huge role in the nutriant "etraction" process (not the place to explain the details here).

If I had not been thorough and insisted on Blood tests during the 8 month diet I could have gone on like so many - totally un-knowing of what deficiences my dog might have been facing.

Blood tests are a good thing in general - once a year to have a 12 or 16 panel screen is well worth the peach of mind. But make sure you/or your Vet uses a reputable Lab.

On the Human Kibble note - that would be great - we could have several kibble bins lined up in the Globe Trotter - one for Peter the Diabetic, One for Sharon the junk food Queen, one for Taz the gobbler and one for Haily the Dainty eater - could you imagine the day when the axle/shocks go and all the bins mix together.

Since this thread should offer some help here is a little tip I picked up on my travels....I am sure that when your pooches travel to Rally's they might get a tad nervous, strange environments, strange water etc. that can have the same result as us humans - to which we use immodium.

Immodium = Pumpkin Pulp from a tin the no added sugar kind used to make pumpkin pie. Depending on the size of the dog from a tsp to 2-3 tablespoons per meal for the first two days of any sign of the "runs".

Don't keep them on it for ever! as it can be very fattening, and also may cause too alkylinic digestive environment. But it is a great natural method of helping your dog get through the scoots.

Always try a bit first and monitor your dog closely for any adverse effects - like with any food changes.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 06:32 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington
Smile

Two dog foods I sell in the store that have carrots, they are Precise Plus and Simply Natural. I do sell biscuits from Natura that have carrots in them.
I do not feed my Dogs Sara and Shelby foods with chicken by-products, corn or wheat. I have not done the BARF diet for my dogs. I am not an expert in nutrition, but have self-studied the subject for 3 years. My oldest son formulated his own poultry food for his show chickens. He was unhappy with the results from commerical foods and wanted better health for his polutry.
Chuck
WBCCI#7854
Hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 09:10 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Share 'n share alike...

Hi ALL...
Our Toby has His own foods 2 eat, but on a sunday He jus abt eats what We eat, Carrots, Broccoli, Cabbage, Peas, Yorkie puddin & whatever Meat we r havin, But NO POTATO...He woofs it down, & realy enjoys it, we DO ADD a small pack of His own Dry food, We have always given Toby freedom of food, but as I say, there R LOTS of things We NEVER give him, don't wanna SPOIL HIM 2 much...LOL...
He also has a couple of Vitamin tablets with His Main Meal, now weather they actualy do anything at all, is another point...But it IS so sad 4 Him 2 sit & watch us stuffin our faces with foods He is Not allowed...tellin Him they R NOT good 4 him, does'nt seem 2 work in Tobys eyes, He's jus a Doggy, & does'nt understand...Bless him...Chris.....
Old 01-22-2005, 11:25 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
You are doing the right thing with Toby. I know he must feel better. He probably doesn't go to the vet very often. Your Sunday meal sounds like Spots Stew for dogs. It contains chicken,carrots,celery,yellow squash,zucchini,chicken liver,green beans,green peas,pasta,turkey,rolled oats,barley,soy sauce,dried kelp,garlic powder. Protein is 3.5% and fat is 1.5%.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:47 AM   #45

1968 17' Caravel
I had an interesting visit with my vet last week. I hope this doesn't stir up more controversy, I just wanted to share what he said.

Chester, the clumbsy dalmatian, broke a toenail romping around out in the field, so we went to the vet to get it clipped back into shape. He also needed his rabies shot. The vet said he didn't think dogs really needed rabies shots every three years, but they do it to prevent legal problems if a dog bites someone and their shots are out of date. The government regulates the rabies shot being good for three years only, though really it may cover much longer than that. Nice to know the government even plays a part in our dog's vet care!

He said the regular doggie shots are being spaced out even further, and new studies show cats may not need any further vaccinations after their initial kitten vaccinations. As my vet said, how often do YOU need to redo your vaccinations?

He also said Chester was the friendliest dalmatian he knew, and complemented him on how far he'd come - both in how healthy he was, and how friendly and confident he's gotten - since he came out of rescue. That's our boy

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:52 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
One of my friends is from Germany. She said her dogs have never gotten shots since they were babies. She has her vet do a blood test on the dogs to check the levels in their systems. Blood tests cost more than the shots do. It gives her a piece of mind.
You have a good vet.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:53 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippo
I have a very good friend who is getting out of Vet school.
Congratulations to your friend....it's a long, difficult, and expensive four years of study to get that degree!

Colgate-Palmolive makes Hill's Science Diet.
I'm sorry, but Colgate-Palmolive does not make Hill's Science diet. They are the parent company only. Hill's is still an independent entity, performing their own research and feeding trials. I've been to their research facility in Topeka, KS, and am proud to report their animals are taken better care of than a lot of pet owned animals, with individual attention, play times, medical and dental care, etc. They are cared for humanely until they have life threatening illness that cannot be further treated.

They provide everything to the school for students.
Sure, and they even provide scholarships to students, veterinary school support in the form of foods to the teaching hospital, teaching aids....all costing $'s. Veterinary school is one of the most expensive professional schools for the students and taxpayers!

When you start out as a Vet they give you $ 1000.00 of free food. Why wouldn't you buy from them.
The students also come out of school with $50-75K in student loans to repay....and they are not buying the food....the veterinarians they work for buy the food for the practice (and it may or may not be Hill's brand)

Also they teach only medical subjects and anything about food is 1/2 a day.
I'm sorry but they teach a whole semester on Nutrition to students!

My friend is doing nutrition study on his own. Hill's likes to use chicken by-products. A dog should not eat poultry by-products which is a mixture of feathered animals, including pigeons.
Says who?
Feather meal is a great filler with no nutritional value in it.
Hey, I eat Bran Flakes for breakfast, and it has a lot of fiber (good for you) with no nutritional value! You gotta have fiber in your diet!!!

The human food company is making millions from the public selling them garbage for the animals to eat.
Each to their own opinion............What about McDonald's?

I tell people go to the interent and check it out.Do you believe everything you read on the internet (including this)??

WBCCI #7854
I'm sorry, but enough is enough.......people get on their high horse without a leg to stand on!

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 10:35 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I had an interesting visit with my vet last week. I hope this doesn't stir up more controversy, I just wanted to share what he said.

Chester, the clumbsy dalmatian, broke a toenail romping around out in the field, so we went to the vet to get it clipped back into shape. He also needed his rabies shot. The vet said he didn't think dogs really needed rabies shots every three years, but they do it to prevent legal problems if a dog bites someone and their shots are out of date. The government regulates the rabies shot being good for three years only, though really it may cover much longer than that. Nice to know the government even plays a part in our dog's vet care!

He said the regular doggie shots are being spaced out even further, and new studies show cats may not need any further vaccinations after their initial kitten vaccinations. As my vet said, how often do YOU need to redo your vaccinations?

He also said Chester was the friendliest dalmatian he knew, and complemented him on how far he'd come - both in how healthy he was, and how friendly and confident he's gotten - since he came out of rescue. That's our boy

Good for "Chester" for being a better dog......and I would have been happy to have "Chester" as a patient (and you as a client) in my practice.....broken toenails can be very painful!
Our practice changed vaccination protocols 6 years ago....from every year to every three years (all vaccines). We followed Texas A & M and Colorado State Vet school protocols and have never had a problem. Now do I think you should never again vaccinate your pets........No way........not every pet responds the same to each vaccine. Rabies is one of the best vaccines we have, in that it imparts the best and longest lasting immune response. The government comes in to provide standards that the manufacturers have to prove before they can say it is effective for the length of time they claim. Someone has to be the bad boy....and I'm glad "Big Brother" is watching over us on this one! I've been exposed to a rabid animal and gone through the post-exposure vaccinations and can attest to it not being a piece of cake! Not everyone gets their pet vaccinations on time.....so to say the vaccine lasts longer than 3 years may be true....but don't play with fire.....get that booster vaccination! Pets lose their immunity gradually.....just don't wait too long after getting that reminder from your vet! He/She is really looking out for your pet's best interest!

Now get back to work on your Caravel so we can have another Forums Rally!!!!!!

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:18 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
For Jim and Stefrobrts thank you for your comments. Do what you think is best for your animals and your family. My Sara is a white Boxer about 11 years old. Shelby is a little hot redhead Chow and Golden 4 years old. Both dog eat Canidae all natural dog food. No chicken by-products, corn, wheat, or BHA and BHT. They have eaten this food for 4 years. Their coat is feels like velvet. They both run and play on our 20 acreas. Our Vet is always commenting how good they look for their ages. Our Vet feeds her Boxer Solid Gold. She sells P&G's Hills Science Diet as well as Heniz IVD. A Vet who knows about a natural food.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:31 AM   #50

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
Now get back to work on your Caravel so we can have another Forums Rally!!!!!!
Sounds like a good idea to me! Next time maybe we'll bring the 'kids' along!

I agree on the booster shots. I'm glad my vet is keeping up on current vet science to determine the best schedual for our pets shots, so they don't have to have shots they don't need. I'm perfectly happy to come in and get them when they do need them though. Things like rabies and parvo are nothing to be messing around with!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:42 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Some other things found in non-human grade pet foods.
ARTIFICAL COLORING: Used in many pet foods and treats, including rawhide chew toys. Used only to entice the owner into buying. Can be harmful and cause toxicity. Has no nutritional value and many people have had allergic reactions to FD&C RED AND YELLOW NO.5 AND NO.7 DYES.
BHA: A preservative and potentially dangerous for the kidneys.
BHT: Used to retard spoilage and more toxic than its cousin BHA. Look it is used in human foods.
BY-PRODUCTS: Defined by Webster's Dictionary "a derivative made from another product" and waste products such as hair,feathers,connective tissue,feet,claws,beaks,tongues and eyeballs. Incidentally, peanut shells and newspapers are actually permitted to be used to boost protein and fiber levels in some commerical pet foods.
CARCINOGEN: A cancer causing substance( sodium nitrate,ETHOXYQUIN, sodium nitrite).
CORN SYRUP: Used as a humectant,which gives food a dampness and flexibility (as in semi-moist foods and treats). It's pure sugar, which is harmful to pets. They can get addicted to this taste and can cause the "finicky eater" syndrome.
DRY BLOOD MEAL: A very inexpensive source of poor quality protein in some dog and cat foods. ( We are not making this up! Read your labels.) Very indigestible.
MSG: Flavor enhancer used to disguise inferior food quality. Known to cause brain and eye damage. High percentage of allergic reactions in pets and people.
PROPLY GALLATE: Chemical used in anti-freeze and a solvent in brake fluids. Used as a preservative and flavor enhancer in foods. Tastes very sweet. Look at your human food labels!
SODIUM NITRATE: A carcinogenic preservative and color enhancer. Produces mutagenic changes.
SODIUM NITRITE: Harmful chemical preservative. A source of red coloring. People have died from overdoses.
Remember dogs and cats only eat what we give them, they can not make choices like human's.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:03 PM   #52
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, ol Penny our Shep mix we got from the pound 13 years ago has had Science Diet since the day we got her. She's gone across all the "models" of it until we now are at the Senior. My bro just got some holistic food that is suppose to be really good. With all the choices out there, it's hard to figure out which one is the best for you pet.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:50 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Find a store in your area that specializes in human grade pet foods. Ask for sample bags that they get free, to give to customers. Try several using the taste test method. Using paper plates put all of the samples out a once. Let them do a taste test. It sounds dumb but it really works.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:13 PM   #54
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Isn't it bad though to switch foods on a dog the age of my dog (13), or is that a folk tale?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 04:01 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
its a FOLK TALE.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:02 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I found a good book for you pet owners it is called SEE SPOT LIVE LONGER by Steve Brown. It is a resource that ties together common sense holistic advise with scientific research to back it up.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:37 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Vet or Doc ?...

Hi ALL, Hope U R all OK...& Yr lttl Pet creatures 2...Bless 'em, Toby sends U all His BIG WAGS...& He says He feelin a lot bttr now, & He lost 9 pounds, But He gone lost a tooth... but Still can play BITE ME...LOL.
My Doc was on Holiday, NO I nvr said DOC Holiday...LOL, So we had a Young Lady, quite tasty 2...anyhow, she was trainin 2B a VET, but it was far 2 HARD 4 Her, so She down graded & took up 2b a doctor instead, She soon sorted Me out...LOL, Gave Me sum pills, & told Me 2 take a COLD Shower...Don't KN Y ?, I only had a HOT one B4 visitin Her...LOL..
We Have this 30 summat foot high FIR tree in our yard, Goodness kns jus how many Birdie Nests R in there...But My D/D parks Her car under it, now one mornin, Her glass from Her drivers door mirror was MISSIN, it was there wen She parked, as our drive is on a slant, thus makes it easier 2 reverse down, so she used it 2 see with, I found it a few days later, under the Tree, now, She HAD a Mickey Mouse Antenna top, ( from Florida ), that was on the ground in pieces...can U imagine it, the famous MOUSE with NO ears...LOL, I stuck it bk 2gether...& this morning there was a right noise in the garden, as this huge MAGPIE was tryin 2...er, lets say play with it...it was sittin on the ears, & the aerial was bendin double & the Magpie was banging it's head on the car roof, well I almost wet Myself laughing, & the funny thing IS, TOBY is Scared of the darn thing...sayin that, I would, if it tried pullin out My Whiskers whilst I were asleep on the drive...Chris.....