Old 10-24-2015, 01:18 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Hull , Massachusetts
MA State Park

Hi,

MA state Parks allow dogs, you do need a rabies certificate though. Check out Wompatuck State Park in Hingham, MA.

Ron

Old 10-25-2015, 11:35 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Currently Looking...
Quartz Hill , California
I have traveled extensively throughout the West including Canada, Yukon, and Alaska with our three dogs. I have never been turned away even when exceeding some places two dog maximun. Honesty pays along with assurances of well behaved dogs.
State Parks in California are Pet Friendly. Standard rules apply but they are not allowed on any trails just as in National Parks. One reason could be dogs may agitate black bears which are common throughout the State.
The license plate on my Airstrean " DOG KNL".

Old 01-13-2016, 10:33 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This story breaks my heart...

I feel badly for this man, also for his dogs.

Homeless man surrenders 31 dogs he lived with in Tenn. woods
Old 01-13-2016, 11:29 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
No, I don't think I can. But I'm angriest at the community that knew this was going on and did not step in many years sooner.

"Haisley said the dogs' owner had lived in the woods for at least 16 years."It was a very interesting, unique situation," Haisley said. "I wouldn't call it hoarding, and he wasn't abusing or neglecting the animals for profit. He was providing care for the animals."

"Haisley said the dogs suffered from internal and external parasites, broken teeth, cuts, and one dog had a broken leg. Another dog had injuries that appeared to have been sustained years ago, Haisley said."

Interesting? Unique?!! CARE?!!!! I do not call that providing care. If those dogs had been children someone would have taken them 15 years ago. Dogs deserve to be fed and loved and given medical attention too. They deserve a warm dry home to live in. How would you like to spend several years of your life with fleas, ticks, and intestinal WORMS? My guess is that they also have heart worm.

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
PammieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:51 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I guess I didn't see it quite that way.

They seemed to be a homeless "pack".....man and dogs.

Maggie
Old 01-14-2016, 05:58 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
To Maggies post. According to the TN Rescue group the dogs have all kinds of issues, they are trying to "farm" them out, but it's a problem this time of year for rescues as cash flow is usually and is now very poor. January and February are the slowest adoption months, so, any dogs presently in a rescue, ours for instance, tend to become residents for at least two months and it's expensive. Heat worm as PammieSue said is prevalent in dogs living outside like this, cost about $2,000 per dog to cure and it's a long process for the dogs. I could go on, but we see this type of situation often. One reason there are about 6 Million put down each year in the US.

To the OP, we tend to camp in KOA campgrounds, never had an issue and they almost all have off leash parks. We do carry all shot records for both, plus a Vets description of the dogs which we asked for as to breed. One time our yellow was questioned as being part PIT which the campground did not allow. Breed restrictions are very common and are there due to past experience OR insurance companies.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:41 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I guess I didn't see it quite that way.

They seemed to be a homeless "pack".....man and dogs.

Maggie
Oh Maggie I wasn't coming down on you!!!! I was totally harshing on this "Haisley" dude. I'd like to thrash him good.

I've known homeless vets, (I dot know if he is a vet and I'm not saying he is), spent time in psych wards with them, and there are all kinds of things that put them out there, but there are actually a select bunch that choose to be or stay homeless and won't be changed despite all the help given. We need to accept that even when it feels so wrong. We cannot force people to live on our terms. But I do not believe in their right to subject pets to it.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:58 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
PammieSue might "like to trash him good." But I see another story here. I read it as a homeless man (mental issues?) who has rescued whatever canine came along and added it to his pack. No doubt he provided for them the best he knew how, to the point of denying himself medical attention because he was worried about those God put in his care. Just my opinion, but I wish PammieSue would see that there may be more than one side to this story and certainly more than one dimension. "Judge not ..."

Like I say, just my view. And thanks, Maggie, it breaks ours too.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1998 30' Cutter Bus (Chevy)
Everson , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by repairsart View Post
Hi,

MA state Parks allow dogs, you do need a rabies certificate though. Check out Wompatuck State Park in Hingham, MA.

Ron

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner but MA state parks do not allow pets (even with rabies certificate) or we would not have been turned out into the cold dark night and I would not have started this post?
Old 04-06-2016, 06:33 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Four legged furry family members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident View Post
Sorry I didn't see your post sooner but MA state parks do not allow pets (even with rabies certificate) or we would not have been turned out into the cold dark night and I would not have started this post?

I think you might be missing each other. Your original post said New Hampshire kicked you and your dog out. Perhaps Repairstart was suggesting if you try MA next time, you'll find their state parks allow dogs - though I'd always check in advance. We bring Daisy with us to Chilly Man held at the Salisbury Beach Sate Park in MA - they do check rabies certificates and they do indeed welcome dogs - including slobbering bloodhounds. Good luck!
Old 04-06-2016, 08:07 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
The straight scoop on NH SP and pets

Having spent the first 19 years of life (minus the first three days in my native Vermont) in New Hampshire, I thought there was something funny about the blanket condemnation. So I did a little Googling. Turns out that NH State Parks are way more pet friendly than the OP would imagine, including parks where pets are allowed in the campgrounds. Leash required, but that is pretty much the case in the majority of parks, federal, state, county local.

Here is the link to NH State Park Pet Policy

https://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/pdf/pets.pdf

Happy Travels!
Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:58 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1998 30' Cutter Bus (Chevy)
Everson , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I think you might be missing each other. Your original post said New Hampshire kicked you and your dog out. Perhaps Repairstart was suggesting if you try MA next time, you'll find their state parks allow dogs - though I'd always check in advance. We bring Daisy with us to Chilly Man held at the Salisbury Beach Sate Park in MA - they do check rabies certificates and they do indeed welcome dogs - including slobbering bloodhounds. Good luck!

I got my MH AND MA mixed up, the Park in MA was near the coast and not any problem at all, good time in MA on our adventure. Thanks Repairstart good advice we will be sure not to leave any money in MH next trip.
I checked my Allstays app and Salisbury Beach State Reservation is where we stayed in MA, nice.