Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
First Trip With 14-year-old kitty

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2002.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	286168

Just wanted to report that it's possible to adapt an older indoor-only cat to road tripping. Jenny's brother passed away, and we decided not to leave just one kitty alone to be cared for by family or cat-ladies. We did Lots of reading on the Forums and elsewhere. We purchased a Tidy Cats pellet litter box and supplies. Over the course of a month at home, Jenny adapted quite easily. We have a 25 FB twin, so I removed the door from the cabinet at the foot of my bed. Just fits the litter box and the kitty. We took her out on a trip last week -about 200 miles-and we consider it a success. She figured out the new setup and there were no accidents. We bought a little halter and leash and got her used to her new "outfit." We have not used the leash yet as she is a generally shy kitty. I must admit, she does not like riding in her carrier. I think it's being cooped up more than anything else. Tried an "aromatherapy" treatment which may, or may not, be the reason she was a bit more mellow on the second and third travel days.

My next question is how long travel days should be? I'm thinking about working in pet potty stops, in particular (we humans usually stop every 2-3 hours to stretch and regroup.)
MomcatA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:37 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
Lawrence , Kansas
We started taking our 11 year old cat last year and it has worked out. We leave her out of the carrier in the car but with a lead on. We just put the litter box in the car. In the trailer we gave up a storage area for the litter box with a private entrance for her. That works great. She as always been an indoor cat and shows no interest in getting out of the trailer or car so far. Because the trailer is small she sometimes gets a defensive with a lack of escape routes and some times gets upset with strangers in the trailer. But over all we love taking her with us.
ttbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:11 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
First Trip With 14-year-old kitty

Just a little update on Jenny. She took to 'streaming like a champ. Currently on the last leg of a 3000+ mile trip through the Pacific Northwest and British Columbia. So much fun to have her along for our adventure.
MomcatA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:07 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomcatA View Post
Just a little update on Jenny. She took to 'streaming like a champ. Currently on the last leg of a 3000+ mile trip through the Pacific Northwest and British Columbia. So much fun to have her along for our adventure.
Awesome. Cats seem to know during travel. Ours always limited water and food intake during the travel part, When we parked and set up for the evening or weekend, first task was set up food and water bowls,
'Feed me now' !
I am glad its working out for you all. It was such a blessing for us to take Natasha with us. She was a wildcard, and something was always in play when we traveled.
Take Jenny everywhere you go and enjoy every minute. I know would give anything to have those times back. Haven't been able to change the signature, and don't really care to.

Safe travels
Old 09-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Nice story with a great outcome. Cats can be good travel companions. Just like dogs, some are not suited for it, but one that is can be such a pleasure.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Quote:
Attachment 286168

Just wanted to report that it's possible to adapt an older indoor-only cat to road tripping. Jenny's brother passed away, and we decided not to leave just one kitty alone to be cared for by family or cat-ladies. We did Lots of reading on the Forums and elsewhere. We purchased a Tidy Cats pellet litter box and supplies. Over the course of a month at home, Jenny adapted quite easily. We have a 25 FB twin, so I removed the door from the cabinet at the foot of my bed. Just fits the litter box and the kitty. We took her out on a trip last week -about 200 miles-and we consider it a success. She figured out the new setup and there were no accidents. We bought a little halter and leash and got her used to her new "outfit." We have not used the leash yet as she is a generally shy kitty. I must admit, she does not like riding in her carrier. I think it's being cooped up more than anything else. Tried an "aromatherapy" treatment which may, or may not, be the reason she was a bit more mellow on the second and third travel days.

My next question is how long travel days should be? I'm thinking about working in pet potty stops, in particular (we humans usually stop every 2-3 hours to stretch and regroup.)
Our travel day is usually 5 hours max. We have a litter box inside the truck. My rear seat folds down flat. We have a carrier on one, then a litter box in the middle with a strong cardboard box on opposite side. Then a piece of plywood is laid across the top. A second carrier is on the top the plywood. This way the cats have some area to move around. We keep food and water out while traveling. This arrangement has worked for us.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Quote:
We never leave home without our 2 cats. We usually spend 3 - 6 months traveling. When we leave home everything which is important to us is in the truck.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote