Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Fort Scott , Kansas
Ferrets in the Argosy

Hi! I am a new owner of an 73 argosy. I am also the proud parent of 10 adorable little Fuzzy Ferrets. Has any one ever tried to ferret proof an airstream. Obviously they couldn't all travel at one time with us but it would be nice to let the kids take turns on our camping adventures. Outside they can stay in their playpen under the canopy in cooler weather, but I really hate the idea of them staying in a crate the whole time while indoors. The task of ferret proofing the camper is very daunting, though. I thought I would see if anyone had any experience. And of course show of some pics of the kids.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WEZIE8-15A.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	77715   Click image for larger version

Name:	LUNA2-11C.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	77716  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SARAH9-27C.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	77718  
Attached Images

weziesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by weziesmom View Post
Has any one ever tried to ferret proof an airstream.
cute kids, but until they get to be about 10 pounds, i don't think it's going to happen. a cage inside would work nicely.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Fort Scott , Kansas
Well 10 lbs isn't gonna happen. My biggest is 4lbs 4ozs. I'll have to put on my thinking cap. We have a 60's canned ham trailer that needs a full makeover, I told hubby that could be the ferrets camper. So far hubby isn't convinced, LOL
Old 03-31-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
They are sooo C-U-T-E !!! How could you possibly leave them at home?! But the thought of ferret-proofing a trailer would be pretty daunting. Our cat "disappears" in the trailer occasionally and she's 12 lbs...but we now know her hiding places. I guess it depends on your specific trailer. She knows all the ways into and under the furniture...she even found a way up into the underside of the fiberglass bathroom sink - totally out of sight. I guess I would be concerned if they were potential escape artists...squeaking out the door, not much you could do about that.

Our '64 - no way, they'd be in the furniture or in the frame in no time - too many crevices.
Our '56 maybe, but we have taken everything apart on it and know it doesn't have any interior skin breaches ~

They are adorable...their cute little faces made me smile!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Fort Scott , Kansas
Thanks their sweet little faces and the quirky little antics never fail to bring a smile to my face. Yes, the are escape artist. So maybe a cage and harness and leash at all times while in the trailer may be the way to go. Most all of them enjoy a harness so that wouldn't be such a big issue. Maybe my hubby could devise a playpen that would sit on one of the small beds. Will do some more thinking.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:06 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Freeport , Maine
10!!

i thought i had my hands full back when i had 2 of the little weasels! not sure i can imagine a scenario where a trailer would ever be "ferret proof." i know i was never able to keep them out of anything that they really wanted to investigate.

good luck!
SilverAvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
They sure are cute...

The are adorable.....my, 10, you have your hands full......they are illegal as pets in California......not sure why or if it is enforced......hope you figure out how to travel with them....good luck......paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I think you would be singing a version of the song "Ten Little Indians" in pretty short order. Those wee beasties are capable of passing through solid objects!

But they are cute...
Old 08-24-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Hey there,
Sorry to dredge this back up..but I can't resist ferrets!
Like you, we have the issue of planning a ferret proof section or trailer. We have recently purchased a 65 Tradewind and I'm debating the best way to modify it so we can all share some space.

If you sent a picture of your Argosy's layout, that might help me give you some ideas!

I was looking at a 69 Globetrotter that had a small rear bed area that I would think could be gutted and made into a sweet multi-level easy clean ferret area...however, the Tradewind doesn't have this 'area' and so I have to be more creative.

We have 2 separate groups of ferrets, with each group having 5 ferrets. I envision an outing taking a group and leaving the other one in the capable hands of a ferret sitter.
Anyhow, send me a photo or two of your interior layout and possibly we can exchange ideas for ferret proofing.

cheers,
Russ.
2StrokeBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:38 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Freeport , Maine
hahaha.....tribes of ferrets.
classic!
SilverAvion is offline   Reply With Quote