Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Dogue de Bordeaux Rescue

Hello everyone,

I posted this in the photo thread but have realized I should have made it its own thread. (sorry for the duplicate post)

We are on our second DDB (Dogue de Bordeaux) and find them to be great dogs (dogues?) to travel with. I'd be happy to respond to any questions you might have about the breed.

With that said, here's an item I received from the DDB Rescue coordinator.
In the last several months, rescue has just been inundated with dogues needing assistance, we currently have 20 dogues IN the program nationwide (4 are in foster to adopt, 9 came in to rescue in the last 2 weeks) and several needing rescue. Rescue desperately needs volunteers to check on dogs at shelters, help transport, help evaluate and most of all, we need volunteers who can open their home to a dog in need.
Dogues that need to come into the program at the moment:
Chicago- Simba, 7 yr old male
New Jersey- Jaxson 14 mo old male
North Carolina- Sampson 15 mo old male
Tennessee- Maximus 4 yr old male
KC Mo- littermate brother and sister, 3 1/2 years old
New Jersey- Bella, 3 yr old female
At this time, half way through the year we have already had to turn away 38 dogues needing rescue. If you can assist an any way, please contact me. Financial Donations are always welcome and can be sent via paypal to ddbsrescue@aol.com or mailed to DDBSA Rescue, 7160 Goodrich Hwy., Oakland, OR 97462, product donations such as collars, leashes, supplements, online gift certs, medications (antibiotics) can be sent to FHS in the east, Kathi Cannon, 12509 Worthington Ave., Cleveland, OH 44111, and in the West can be sent to Dianne Morrison, 571 Naneum Rd., Ellensburg, WA 98926.

In addition, rescue also needs some assistance in webdesign, art work for a new rescue logo, and help researching other rescues for better forms that we can adapt to suit the rescue. If you can help with this, please contact me!! Thank you for your continued support.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Overland Park , Kansas
We have a Neapolitan Mastiff and plan on going full timing next year. What problems have you encountered traveling with a BIG dog? A trailer seems like a small space for 2 humans and one human sized dog. How does your DDB do when your away? Is the airconditioner adequate to keep them cool (our dog starts panting when the temp reaches 70)? What about the reception you get in campgrounds with such a powerful looking dog? I don't want to give my baby up, but trailer life seems like it would be hard for her! You need to help me change my mind (and my husbands too)!
SweetStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If it's okay, I could cross post this to my Labrador forum. There are a great number of people involved in rescue who might be able to help.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetStream View Post
We have a Neapolitan Mastiff and plan on going full timing next year. What problems have you encountered traveling with a BIG dog? A trailer seems like a small space for 2 humans and one human sized dog. How does your DDB do when your away? Is the airconditioner adequate to keep them cool (our dog starts panting when the temp reaches 70)? What about the reception you get in campgrounds with such a powerful looking dog? I don't want to give my baby up, but trailer life seems like it would be hard for her! You need to help me change my mind (and my husbands too)!
While we have not full timed we have spent multiple months traveling in our 31' motorhome with a full grown (120 lb) DDB. Both of our dogues have been sweet tempered and easy going. We don't allow them on furniture at home but while traveling in the MH we have allowed them on the couch but never the bed. The first one was a rescue who had been kenneled and neglected for months so he didn't like crates. He slept and spent a lot of his indoor time on the couch. Our current Dogue is crate trained and he sleeps in his crate which is on the couch. When one of us wants to be on the couch, we banish the Dogue to the floor and he huffs and puffs but no big problem. The Dogues spend a lot of time outdoors on a cable or in a small pen. They seem to enjoy this and like watching the world go by. Neither were are barkers so them don't make trouble. We always try to find a park or other area nearby where they can run freely.

Some parks don't allow dogs this size so we don't stay in those parks. Some people freak when they see our Dogue but since we keep them on a lease and they are well behaved, there are no problems. I actually find that some small dogs (and their owners) are the trouble makers when they don't keep the dog on a lease and the dog charges a Dogue. Our boys have both been mellow but still don't tolerate canine rudeness.

Our boys have both been fine about being left alone in the MH. If I'm running the AC, I also run the Fantastic vent so that if the power goes out, there will still be air circulating. We also have a fan for the dogue. Our MH has two air conditioners and we have always been able to keep it cool enough. Sometimes they pant but that is their way of cooling and as long as temps are moderate and they are not in the sun, it works out.

A 31' motorhome is a small place for two adults and a human sized dogue, but I can honestly say it almost never bothers us, BUT, if one person doesn't really want to be in an RV, or you find the quarters too close (we don't), the dog isn't going to help. If we were to decide to full-time, we would certainly keep our dogue, of course this would mean significant effort on our part.

Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
Old 06-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
If it's okay, I could cross post this to my Labrador forum. There are a great number of people involved in rescue who might be able to help.
That would be great.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Gee, hope I didn't gloss over the hassles. When we're on the road the first thing I do in the morning is walk the dog even when its raining, freezing, snowing, blazing hot. The last thing I do at night is walk the dog even when its raining, freezing, snowing, buggy... Some parks have specific places your dog has to go (even though you clean it up). You have to make sure you always have a plastic bag (or other clean up tools).

It's amazing how much loose dog hair can fit in an Airstream. I HATE getting up in the middle of the night and stepping on little pebbles of partially chewed kibble. Can you imagine your Neapolitan wearing an e-collar in your Airstream?

To us, its all worth it. Only you can tell if its worth it to you.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:46 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Overland Park , Kansas
That walkin' in the inclement weather is for the dogs! We will be doing some "trial runs" soon. Thanks for the info!
SweetStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Guy99, any photos, also with something to give a size perspective?
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt View Post
Dave
Here a picture of Marian with Jacques in the rescue parade :
Click image for larger version

Name:	jacqueswalkingback.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	62131

Jacques was ~26" tall and 110 pounds. DDBs range from 24-27 inches in height and 100-150 pounds

Old 06-10-2008, 09:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt View Post
Dave
Here a picture of Marian with Jacques in the rescue parade :
Attachment 62131

Jacques was ~26" tall and 110 pounds. DDBs range from 24-27 inches in height and 100-150 pounds