Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2015, 05:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
DOGS KNOW what is up... trailer attached

OK. We will be leaving tomorrow AM to arrive at Quemado, NM Sunday afternoon from Castle Rock, CO. Nancy emailed the neighbors. Our Dogs must have received an email, as well.

Our two Blue Heelers are not letting us out of eye sight. You know, Australian Cattle Dogs, Heelers, Red or Blue Heelers that are rounding up livestock at a ranch. They are following us around and know that we are getting ready to leave. Almost attached to my leg.

They want to get into their pet porters which have been on the back seat of the truck for several weeks... back to back. I am sure if any of you have a dog or two, they also know the routine of getting the trailer hitched and going through our check list as if we are on a NASA Mars mission. This has been going on for several days. It is almost as if they do not want to be left... behind.

These are "working dogs". They like to keep busy and exercised. But... when they are in their pet porter in the truck, you would think they are the laziest dogs to take onto a trip. Each gasoline stop is a true adventure to them. Yet, when we are ready to depart... both are anxious to jump into their pet porter to leave. Each has their own pet porter and they cannot wait to get into it for the next stop. I have asked the wife to make sure we did not leave them at the last gasoline station!

When we encounter other Blue/Red Heeler owners on our trips... long lost friends. They are a cross between a Dalmatian and a "wild" Dingo of Australia. These dogs are really people who were lucky enough to be given a second chance for being good people in a past life. What a reward for our Heelers and Ourselves! We love our girl and boy and they love us in return. We cannot ask for anything else in a dog.

Our first Blue Heeler played on top of a blanket in the back of our SUV. She would see traffic and go round and round, just driving... me... nuts. Once she was secured in a pet porter... not a sound. These dogs want to find the highest point to look out at what is outside. Why have a door bell, when they hear and see better to announce someone is coming. So by hanging a shirt on each side of the back door windows to block their view... they prefer to lay down and do not get interested until we have stopped. Once the driver's or passenger door opens they are recharged, ready to have their leash attached and eager to look around. I do not think kids can be this well trained.

Maybe cats are this perceptive... but I leave that to someone who travels with a cat or two to say.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Cats are creatures of habit, and are very perceptive of what is going on around them. After all, their survival instinct is to be paranoid, and they learn to make themselves invisible. As soon as we start getting stuff together, their behavior changes and they find a place to watch the action from. When we are ready to walk out the door, they've all disappeared. Not a big deal, as only one (at this point) travels with us, and he would be in a carrier. But you want to do an inventory, to make sure that no one has made an escape while you were in and out of the doors and the garage. That's when you check all of the usual places, discover that one has found a new place to hide, and by the time you also find that place, your departure is now about 30 minutes later than planned.
But, you still love 'em.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Pretty sure Attica gets more out of a road trip than we do .....

- she shows her impatience to get going every morning
- she plays a key role in navigation
- she absolutely insists on having a "Doggy Zen" moment beside the lake every night ....

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0790_edited-1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	242619   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4297.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	242620  

Name:	DSCN4277 (2).jpg
Views:	167
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	242621   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0810 (2).jpg
Views:	205
Size:	313.7 KB
ID:	242622  

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Yup our herding dogs are the same way. Eager to run all day, but in traveling mode they are as calm as can be. And they'll stay right by the trailer when we start packing.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

We were busy packing for a trip one day and when it was time to leave we could not find our dog Lucy. We looked all over the house. My husband then went outside and she was sitting in the back seat of the truck ready to go. She was making sure she wasn't left behind!
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
Cats are creatures of habit, and are very perceptive of what is going on around them. After all, their survival instinct is to be paranoid, and they learn to make themselves invisible. As soon as we start getting stuff together, their behavior changes and they find a place to watch the action from. When we are ready to walk out the door, they've all disappeared. Not a big deal, as only one (at this point) travels with us, and he would be in a carrier. But you want to do an inventory, to make sure that no one has made an escape while you were in and out of the doors and the garage. That's when you check all of the usual places, discover that one has found a new place to hide, and by the time you also find that place, your departure is now about 30 minutes later than planned.
But, you still love 'em.

We have one of each. One of our cats waits for us in the kitchen, ready to go. She's a great little traveler. The other will hide under one end table and we have to pull him out. He does less well on the road, but we got one of those Calm Cat shirts for him, so we'll see if that helps. Both are perfectly happy when we're set up in the camper.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lily, and Gus the Brittney Spaniel before her, were very attuned to pre-trip preparations.

Watching carefully, staying close, ready to go bye-bye.

Lily knows she goes out with the last load, and is waiting expectantly by the door, tail a twitching.

Lilly's spot these days is the passenger seat up front, where she alternates between resting and sitting looking out the windows.....where are we going?....look at those cows!....ooooh, a bunny I could chase if I could just get out of here!

They love to go, mostly just love to be with us.

Maggie
Old 07-11-2015, 07:59 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Our boarder terrier knows the English language and I believe read minds. She san tell the day before we start to pack that we are going somewhere. When I start to hitch the trailer she will sit at the gate and whine to make sure that she is not left behind. She will only quite down when I put her den in the truck and get her in it.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
2018 16' Sport
Long beach , Mississippi
Smile Heeler Heaven

We too are blessed, we have one Blue and one Red and one verrrry tired old Maltese.
jaz
Jazgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:43 PM   #10
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
Sunny San Diego , California
Doggie Day Dreams

My Dog always traveled with me and he always knew when I was getting ready to leave! So much so that I drew this picture while we were camping. It totally depicts what I thought went on in his mind while he awaited his next adventure!

I love the picture so much that I made and now sell tshirts, travel journals, greeting cards etc which all star my beloved dog and HIS Airstream!!

** In loving memory of Codi-San my camping companion **
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2015, 01:11 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Ollie, the border collie, loves a good road trip. He seems to know we are going somewhere before I even think about getting the trailer ready. During packing and prep, he is right at my feet. And if he ever goes missing, then I left the car door open and he is sitting patiently in the back seat so that he does not get left behind.

Here he is with some friends who came camping with us. They left their front door open.

Stan and Ollie, the border collie
Salt Lake City
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ollie ready to ride.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	242687  
spenfolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Since I have 3 small dogs...2 proms and one long legged chihuahua mix...I take one at a time on each trip. The other 2 stay home with my dtr, Debbie. As I start packing a suitcase,they all hang around closely. I suppose they are vying to be the one to go! Mikki, the chihuahua, is prone to jump on the bed and sit in my open suitcase. My last trip, while I was busy elsewhere, she burrowed under some clothes, trying to hide. She likes to sleep under covers in bed, and will pull sheet over herself....and did so with my clothes. When. I discovered them messed up, I called her name...she popped from beneath them, wagging her tail, obviously proud of herself. Now, I'll always have to remember to check to make sure she does not Stow away in my suitcase! LOL!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We are leaving this week for a seven - eight week trip and our Abby, not quite two has not left my sight all day as I prepare the truck and trailer. The reason they "know" is the sent we all give off, each emotion we humans have emits a different sent, dogs pick up on that almost instantly and can through years of evolution understand what humans are feeling. Trips, illness, anger, sadness you name it they've got us pegged to a T.

Enjoy them, dogs are the best.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:47 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
We loaded up for a 3 day event at our local lake.. The moment the A$ door was opened up to start loading,, all of a sudden every missing yard toy showed up at the base of the trailer steps.. Some missing over a year.

Bandit is a dingo/Aussie collie cross.. Some call them Aussie stubby cattle dogs.. No pet carrier for him,, as he stands at full watch the entire trip.. Even if its a 1000 mile day.. The good thing is he sees deer and other fender busters well ahead of my eye sight and thankful for his alertness. Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Yes, these little furry members of our family are tuned in to our emotions. I sometimes think they know even before we do. At least two dogs and/or cats have been a part of my 76 years. I can't imagine ever being without them.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Lupe, our border collie, has never been left behind on a trailer trip, and I'm sure it would never occur to her that she ever would be left behind when we go somewhere with the trailer. So she's always pretty calm (for a border collie) while we're loading the trailer.

It's different when I head out the door to go somewhere in the truck. This time of year, it's too hot to leave her in the truck while I shop, etc., and she seems to understand if I tell her that it's just too hot and I'll be back pretty soon. She knows, though, that if I'm packing a bag and the trailer isn't involved, that I'm not going to be back "pretty soon," and that's when she won't make eye contact and looks away at the wall. Always making eye contact is a really big deal for a border collie, and when she won't make eye contact, it's a really big deal in the wrong direction.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The cats we have traveled with have been house cats. No sense of adventure or roaming. They travel similar to dogs- looking out the window- curious- nosy-
They spend some time in the Pet Taxi and some time on the center console and some time in my wife's lap and some time lying on the floor under the back seat.
One silly cat rode on the dashboard.
When we get to camp, we take them in the trailer and they lie around like they own the joint (I reckon they do own the joint).
One liked to get under the covers. The other curled up in the drawer under the couch.
Both like to sit on the back of the couch and look out the window. Both like to sit on the hump in the bedroom wall that basically covers the end of the water heater.
Both like to hang out under the dinette.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Everyone Loves Chocolate

You are absolutely right about them knowing! Our chocolate lab loves a road trip. Any time he sees the AS in the drive being loaded he knows we are off for another adventure. I couldn't imagine going without him. I just wish the National Parks weren't so restrictive - he is very active and loves to go for a hike. He's been to the top of Columbia River Gorge at Multnomah Falls (a lot easier than we made it up the trail).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	256883  
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:24 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
We are leaving this week for a seven - eight week trip and our Abby, not quite two has not left my sight all day as I prepare the truck and trailer. The reason they "know" is the sent we all give off, each emotion we humans have emits a different sent, dogs pick up on that almost instantly and can through years of evolution understand what humans are feeling. Trips, illness, anger, sadness you name it they've got us pegged to a T.

Enjoy them, dogs are the best.
Yup, our standard poodle reacts the same.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote