Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2003, 11:33 AM   #1
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Dogs first trip. Any fence suggestions?

We just had our first weekend in the AS motorhome with the three terriers. Things went very well. I was afraid they would bark alot and disturb our neighbors, but, they were great.

They have always been able to stay at home with our son. One just developed diabetes and needs to have two insulin shots a day and monitored feeding times, so they will be traveling with us from now on.

Now I need to find a folding or collapsable outdoor fence/pen that they can use while we are at the motorhome. I would like something good sized maybe a 6'x6' area. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 11:53 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
We use cables and tie the dogs to two different trees. They love being outside and can enjoy 20' each of cable lenght to play, explore and ...dig.

If you want to fence them in, this company offers different solutions that are collapsible and easy to mount. We usually purchase from the catalog so I'm not 100% sure the website has all the fences I see on the catalog. You may order one for free through the website:

drsfostersmith.com

Good Luck!
Old 10-17-2003, 12:01 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Check this out

Collapsible pen

Should fit in an outsize storage bay and all you would need to do is use a tent stake or 2 to achor it down. That way they cannot gang up and knock it over
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:29 PM   #4
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
dog fence

Thanks for the websites. I checked them both out and I think there's some good selections there. I had just looked locally and didn't find what I was looking for. With three dogs, tying them leads to a quick tangled mess, so a fenced in area should work well.

My dog family; Mom is a Cairn, Dad is a Westie and the baby is a Cairn/Westie mix. (They are very cute!)

On another subject, I just realized that I should see if there's some sort of "medic alert" tag I can add to the diabetic dogs collar, for emergencies. I will check with the Vet.

Do you all travel with licenses or other records for the dogs? Anything I am not thinking of? We won't have another trip until we head to Florida from Massachusetts in February. That gives me time to get ready.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 02:03 PM   #5
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Traveling with your pet

You should always take your pet's shot records and/or tags with you when you travel. The last thing you want to happen is for anything to go wrong and some official "@#%+" want to take your animal to the local shelter.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 02:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Our Fence

Used plastic trellis (4' X 8' sheets) ripped lengthways.

Connected three sections joined together by 6" X 1/2" X 24" boards screwed back to back at the joint.

Sections (24' long each) roll up and stow on a bicycle carrier mounted to the hitch.

Support provided by 3' metal fence posts. Sections joined and supported by bunge cords to posts, wheel holes, trees, picnic tables, etc. Leaves a lot of versatility, and each set up is unique.

Xena, Xip, and Xoe love to travel in the Xilver Xeppelin!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forum dog pen.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	3505  

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 02:56 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Whatever type fencing you construct, please be sure it's secure enough to keep your beloved pups in. It's amazing what dogs can destroy, given motivaition - aka squirrels and other varmints to chase.
I'm not sure, but I think all campgrounds have a leash law don't they?
Kimili - do you run a cable between a couple of trees?
I was thinking it would be cool if I could run a cable between a couple of trees overhead, so my dog could move around without getting caught up and tangled. Last time I used a horse tether to the picinic table. I bought it at the livery co-op.
MaShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 02:57 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Re: dog fence

Quote:
Originally posted by Pam

On another subject, I just realized that I should see if there's some sort of "medic alert" tag I can add to the diabetic dogs collar, for emergencies. I will check with the Vet.
We buy all our ID tags from Boomerang Tags

and they are cheap and fast and last really well, in fact the plastic tags from them are still looking good while the metal county licenses are worn and unreadable. We used our home and cell numbers because we always take the cell on trips.

They also offer a medic-alert tag.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 03:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I use a dozen or so metal pet fence panels that I connect together with tie wraps. They are about 36"x 30" and I think I got them from Foster & Foster?? Maybe Petsmart has them as well. They work fine for smaller dogs such as my wife's Maltese and my Yorkie but for larger dogs you should stick with a leash.
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 10:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
I was thinking it would be cool if I could run a cable between a couple of trees overhead
Most campgrounds prohibit anything but rope attached to their trees. Anything else can damage the trees.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:36 AM   #11
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
People fences

This summer while staying in a mountainous state park, a pair of women pulled in to the adjacent site with about a 30' trailer. Their pickup bed was stacked high with fence panels. After they unhooked, they spent at least an hour erecting the 3' high fence around the trailer door and staking it down. I kept waiting to see what sort of animals they had. There were none. Come evening, there were the two ladies in their lawn chairs inside the fence and not an animal in sight.

Must have worked, though, because no wild animals carried them off in the night.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 11:56 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Yes, a rope would be OK instead of a cable. It would be beyond stupid to damage the trees. A tether works fine. We don't use it very much anyway.
MaShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 09:50 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

shock system
bzzt
eaglerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:54 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Seacoast , New England
People fences

Good one Pahaska!

However, it could be that these folks were very smart; I bet no kid, dog, obnoxious drunk dared invade their "space".

Barb
Barbara Peerenboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 06:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
I Like It!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
Used plastic trellis (4' X 8' sheets) ripped lengthways.

Connected three sections joined together by 6" X 1/2" X 24" boards screwed back to back at the joint.

Sections (24' long each) roll up and stow on a bicycle carrier mounted to the hitch.

Support provided by 3' metal fence posts. Sections joined and supported by bunge cords to posts, wheel holes, trees, picnic tables, etc. Leaves a lot of versatility, and each set up is unique.

Xena, Xip, and Xoe love to travel in the Xilver Xeppelin!
I like your fence.. I need to do something like that very soon!!!
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote