Old 10-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1998 28' Excella
Little Rock , Arkansas
Doggie Day Care vs Leaving in Trailer during day trips

We are going to camp in a campground 30-40 miles from our real destinations -- each in opposite directions. We want to tour New Orleans for a day trip and don't want to have the two Boston "Terrors" with us. My husband wants to leave them in the trailer during the day and I want to take them to a day care, if available, in the city for the day, worrying that something could happen and they would be alone in the trailer without anyone. What do you dog folks do? The campground is in Slidell. They are fine if together, so the trailer would be ok if we were going to be closer (IMHO), but I worry about being to far away.
This is our first long distance trip with them.
Thanks for your input,
Worried Fur Parents,

Gillpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
We've left our dog for hours at a time but if you find your tour in New Orleans lasts from morning to late night then it might be better to find a kennel. You may have to leave them overnight in a kennel and pick them up the next morning. If you plan to be back at 6pm then it shouldn't be any different than leaving them at home when you are both out for the day. As long as the dogs are good at staying in the Airstream they should be fine. You can always talk to the campground staff about leaving your dogs.

2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
2010 Tundra 5.7L, Double Cab, 2wd, White
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
In virtually every campground I've stayed in in the past 15 years leaving pets in the RV when you aren't there except for short periods is against the campground rules.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
What is the difference between leaving them alone at home and in the trailer? Personally if they are barkers I say leave them at home or at a kennel as a courtesy to your park neighbors.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Depends on the dogs. Ours are happy to sleep in the camper when we leave. we make sure that there is proper cooling and backup ventilation if needed.

I was recently at a campground where a dig was left alone and it cried all day. it was the wrong choice for those people.
2014 25' Flying Cloud Rear Twin
2012 Dodge Durango Hemi/AWD
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
We've stayed in several campgrounds where there were dog walkers that would check the water and walk the dog. Twenty bucks usually made everybody happy. I do ask when making reservations if there are dog walkers/sitters.
If you don't go first class, your heirs will!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
I had to leave my dog in the trailer last month for over 5 hours so I put her in her cage with water and toys . A/C on and vents running. She was fine and glad to see me and head for the nearest lawn

I had to do this several times on that trip.

On other trips we take the dogs with us in the truck when doing short stops. We leave them in the truck cab with the windows cracked and with the remote start the A/C on for up to 45 minutes, then restart if longer. Of course they have water.

On several Trips we used doggy daycare for all day outings.
Glen & Jane 1969 Airstream 25' Trade Wind
2014 Toyota Tundra
1998 Chevy Tahoe
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe
2004 Chevy SSR+ 4 other trailers & 6 other Cars & Trucks
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master
1975 27' Overlander
Mission , Texas
We rarely go anywhere our teacup pomeranian cannot go, even though sometimes he is in a shoulder bag. When we do go somewhere he cannot, we go for a walk both before and after, park in the shade, leave the windows cracked open, and try not to be gone for more than an hour.
No kennels for our little buddy thanks.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Doggie Day Care or Leave In the Trailer

We have 2 mini-schnauzers that we leave at the campground in the trailer on occasion. We try to take them everywhere we can, but going to a restaurant, historical buildings, etc. is not always possible. Our boys can be barkers, but this has not been a problem in the Airstream. We just make sure that if it is hot we have the AC on and the Fantastic fans open. They also enjoy having the TV on. We never leave them for more than 4 hours and make sure that the last thing we do before we leave is to give them final potty breaks. They are best buddies and will often go get in the same crate or doggie bed to take a nap.

When traveling with our boys through Yellowstone, we left the Airstream at a family members home and spent 2 nights in hotels that were pet friendly. One hotel required that you sign a statement that you would not leave them unattended in the room. So much for pet friendly. We found Yellowstone doable with them. Just had to tag team sometimes, with one person staying with the dogs while the other person went to certain buildings and park areas.

I think the bottom line is to observe how them behave when you leave them for awhile. Leave them like you would if you are headed out, but go for a walk and come back and listen to see if they are behaving.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member
2005 25' Safari
Wichita Falls , Texas
I have used CampBow Wow in New Orleans for several years now. My puppy loves it and I am worry-free.
JudySherrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Originally Posted by JudySherrod View Post
I have used CampBow Wow in New Orleans for several years now. My puppy loves it and I am worry-free.

We're fans of Camp Bow Wow as well though each site is independently owned.

You have to know your pooch. Daisy is fine being left alone at home if needed - even up to 8 hours though that rarely happens. 5 minutes alone in the trailer and she starts to panic. So we do a lot of planning with this in mind - trails she can walk with us, pet friendly sites/attractions, etc. And on occasion, we put her in her own "camp" (bow wow) where she gets to play with buddies all day and she loves that. Have only had to do that a few times but it's a better solution for us. Everyone's mileage varies here...

For those whose pets love their crates - I'm jealous but happy for you. We adopted Daisy when she was 2 so I don't know about her puppy years but clearly something went wrong with the crate training because it's oil and water for sure.

But even if she did - I'd personally be leery about long alone times in the campground. We've had hot summers where the CG electricity wasn't stable enough for all the AC units running- and I can imagine in some cases, a power outage - even from something like a car accident in the area that wipes out a pole - could jeopardize her health.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:58 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
Our dog has separation anxiety! If we leave him alone in AS, we come home to torn screens and chewed blinds. This summer we wanted to bike around Mackineaux Island. We found a great kennel that took the dog and was open till 8PM. We weren't out that late but it was comforting to know the dog was OK and we had a relaxing, no worries, day! When we took the boat tour at the Soo Locks they had a free kennel there for pets. A great idea!
Kathy Narowski
SC Coastal Unit
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Magdalena , New Mexico
When we go back to our native land, we use Fairview State Park in Madionsville or a park in Kenner for the Airstream and check our standard poodle into Zeus Kennels in New Orleans for day care or a couple of days and nights if we are going to stay over in the city for some time. We can check on him and/or check him out for time with us during the kennel stays. Good place. We never, ever leave him alone in the AS.
Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We leave them in the trailer for brief periods - up to two hours. Longer than that we take them with us to where ever we are going. In places such as National Parks, one of us hikes a trail and the other walks around the parking lot with them and then vice versa, or I don't hike the trail at all as most of the time it's of little interest to me as I'd rather be with my dogs anyway.

Never used a Camp Bow Wow while traveling but might give it a try, nice idea.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote