Old 10-09-2015, 10:56 PM   #29
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Petsmart may have solution... Some have individual or "group"'playtime...activities. Enclosed. No grass, areas sanitized. Minimizes chance of cross contamination of your "AS / home", also your pet's health.

Most campgrounds cannot be responsible if a power outage occurs and your pet dies due to becoming overheated.

Personally, leaving any dog locked where they cannot relieve themselves is torture. Unless you have our dog who falls asleep as soon as we are not around and sleeps until we return.

One friend who owns an SOB trained his dog to use the "facilities" in the shower. He would clean up the mess then sanitize upon return. Just how he handles his dogs "business"...

Another option is to take to a groomer for a nice bath and nail clipping. But those are usually closed by 5-6PM.

PETSMART can house overnight. Also, veterinarians in the area may know the "safe" places for your pets.

cwf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:26 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickinson View Post
with our three small dogs (all under 7 pounds each) we still haven't figured the "traveling with the dogs thing" out. We just got back from a quick weekend trip which we took them on and they drove us crazy at the campground. We came home a day early partly because of them. We usually have a dog sitter watch them at our house which works out the best for everyone. I will say we have been annoyed by dogs barking non-stop that are left in trailers all day long - not fair for the dog, the neighbors, and really also the owner because they probably don't know their dog is barking non-stop and everyone looks sideways at them when they finally get back to their trailer.
If I were the mistress of that dog I would definitely want to know if my dog was barking all day! It's because I found out that my dog was barking all day while in the kennel in our backyard that I stopped leaving him back there when gone. Turbo does absolutely fine inside the house, I found out once that he can go as long as 8 hours without problem. But he does not want to be left alone in the kennel outside. I would not have known if I did not ask, my neighbors are too polite to tell, but I came home to him barking and it wasn't the kind that just began when my truck pulled in the driveway. No one can change anything if they don't realize there is a problem.

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
PammieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenritas View Post
Be sure their shots are up to date and they have had their kennel cough treatment.

Bring their papers also, the kennel may ask for them.

Have Fun in N'Orleans .
In California you cannot kennel your dog or cat anywhere without proof of rabies shot, you cannot even have your dog groomed without proof of rabies shot.

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
Old 10-11-2015, 04:46 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Post Doggie travel tip

DOGGIE TRAVEL TIP

When we travel I keep a folder for Turbo with:
A. All of his Medical Paperwork
B. Rabies Shot Certificate
C. Dog License Paperwork
D. 50 printed Lost Dog Signs with his photos and my cell phone number on it.

I use Petsmart's Banfield, so we are covered for his medical care wherever we go. (I pay $31.95 a month for his health coverage)

Old 10-11-2015, 05:53 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
We bring dog crates for our dogs. Why are crated 8-10 hours per day while we are at work. So being crated in the AS is not a big deal.

Barking can be a problem if you have an anxious dog. I've been at Camp Grounds were the camp hosts will go to a camp site after a dog barks just a few times.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:02 PM   #34
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Doggie downers...... Hey.. They are on vacation too!!!
Old 10-11-2015, 10:15 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Ours are crate-trained as well. They only bark when someone approaches too close. Typically they enjoy sleeping in the TV, walks in new places, and spending the night in the AS with their human pack. Our pups seem to settle in and really enjoy traveling with us after a day or so they seem to decide the AS is home and act accordingly, even running directly back to the AS when they get loose by accident.

Yeah, I think it's a vacation for them as well.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:49 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Our two are well trained and behave so we generally take them where ever we go. When we eat out we eat in outdoor venues and ask if it's ok to have our two Labs. We do leave them at times in the trailer, about three hours max and usually at night. We look the trailer, close all windows and have a wireless remote camera running so we can check them via internet when we want to. But as stated, generally they are with us, at National Parks one of us stays in the parking lot while the other enjoys the walk and views and then we swap. It's an accommodation we make for our family members
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:44 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thumbs up What we ended up doing.

We wanted to walk around New Orleans for a few hours and didn't want to take the dogs and the AS was 30 miles away, so we didn't want to leave them there. So, I made reservations at a day care for 4 hrs ($30 for two dogs!). It was pretty traumatic for both pups. When we arrived the dogs were loose in the facility and just were loud and rambunctious. We closed our eyes and held our ears and walked away. When we picked them up 4 hrs later, my husband was the most traumatized. The dogs seemed to be fine but we could tell they were stressed; they slept like logs that night and wouldn't let us out of their sight the rest of the trip. We are still newbies at Streaming so they are as well. I was very impressed at how they behaved most of the time. One of them usually barks at everything or everyone new, but even she seemed to start to get socialized. Like most pet owners, we bought the AS for them so they could go with us. Some tweaking still needed but I think we'll get the hang of it.
I really appreciated hearing from all the experienced Streamers out there and will heed your advice. Hope to see you on the road!
Gillpine
Old 10-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Thank you for letting us know what you decided to do. It would also be helpful if you shared the name/address of the facility you used, tell us more about it, and rated it for us. It's not exactly surprising that the dogs were stressed, new place, new people, new dogs. I always Tell Turbo when I am leaving him at the groomers, a place that still stresses him after four years even though it's the same place and same people who love him, "I WILL come back, you WILL be ok. Same thing I told my kids when they were little, lolz. It's the fact that you keep your promises to them. Trust is everything. Keep their food and water bowls in the same places, feed them at the same times as much as you possibly can; our pets are creatures of habit. Soon enough your Airstream will be home and just as comfortable and comforting for them. Turbo sleeps in the space under our bed, and the cats sleep in the bed and everyone is happy. Until Chibi jumps on top of me when I'm sound asleep and makes me sit straight up and scream, LOL!

Old 10-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Little Rock , Arkansas
Smile You're right I should have given the name of the place...

I wasn't sure if I should put the name out there but I will. We left the pups at the Midcity Animal House on Toulouse in New Orleans. It's fairly close to the City Park and fairly easy to get to if you plan ahead on driving from the park. There are lots of one-way streets and no left turns off of Carrollton. It's not too far from the French Quarter and a straight shot from there (mostly). Lots of dogs there. They do have a dirt yard for the bigger dogs but we didn't really see much of the inside. It was full of small dogs when we dropped off our pups -- all barking.
Lulu and Boogs (two Boston Terriers) were unhurt and looked fine when we picked them up. Most of the dogs were either gone or in another room, so it was much quieter at pick-up time. The place closes at 6pm which we looked for. Some close too early.
Since we rarely leave them anywhere I'm not sure how to rate the place. My husband won't go back there but I'm not sure where he would be satisfied. It's our first time to leave in a day care -- and may be the last if he has anything to say about it. We bought the AS so we could take them with us but there are and will be times we can't take them with us, we'll have to work that out at the time.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:03 AM   #40
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Ahead of time, I presume all inoculations are in place to meet 'State' requirements.

Turns out our Bichon cannot take the medicine which allows us to 'board' him.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:59 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Greenwood Village , Colorado
Does anyone know when you leave your dogs in AS with the AC on, how much will it cool? Meaning if we go to AZ or CA this summer and it is 90-110 with the AC, how cool will it stay in the AS? We don't want our lab to get overheated at all
Old 11-10-2015, 05:22 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunahara View Post
Does anyone know when you leave your dogs in AS with the AC on, how much will it cool? Meaning if we go to AZ or CA this summer and it is 90-110 with the AC, how cool will it stay in the AS? We don't want our lab to get overheated at all

Most folks here suggest you can expect 20* below ambient under good conditions (awnings deployed, correct orientation to the sun, etc.).

Everyone's mileage will vary here but personally, I wouldn't risk it. If you're at 110, it's going to be 90 or more in the trailer. That's not very comfortable. And if the power goes out - even for a half hour, that metal tube is going to heat up pretty quick.

If you're talking about quick trips or being in locations where someone has keys to your trailer and is committed to being there to check in or step in if needed, that's a different story.

Just my $0.02...