Old 10-05-2015, 11:14 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Siloam Springs , Arkansas
We have done both.

We have been very lucky with the day care route. A couple of the centers even had cameras one can log into and check on the dogs.

We leave our dogs at home for the work day, so they are usually alone for 8-9 hours every day. But, at home they have a pet door and spend a lot of time outside in the fenced back yard.

They tolerate the trailer for a couple hours, but seem to enjoy the day care more.

Jeff & Cindy
Hunter RIP

'09 27FB Flying Cloud
'91 350 LE MH
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:18 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
with our three small dogs (all under 7 pounds each) we still haven't figured the "traveling with the dogs thing" out. We just got back from a quick weekend trip which we took them on and they drove us crazy at the campground. We came home a day early partly because of them. We usually have a dog sitter watch them at our house which works out the best for everyone. I will say we have been annoyed by dogs barking non-stop that are left in trailers all day long - not fair for the dog, the neighbors, and really also the owner because they probably don't know their dog is barking non-stop and everyone looks sideways at them when they finally get back to their trailer.

kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1998 28' Excella
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thank you all for your help on this. I have reserved a place for one day at a Day Care in New Orleans. Just thought it would ease my mind more. We are still new at this and the pups aren't very acclimated to the trailer yet. They're getting better but still pant a lot and go stand by the truck when let out. Think we'll take it slow.
Gillpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Be sure their shots are up to date and they have had their kennel cough treatment.

Bring their papers also, the kennel may ask for them.

Have Fun in N'Orleans .
Glen & Jane 1969 Airstream 25' Trade Wind
2014 Toyota Tundra
1998 Chevy Tahoe
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe
2004 Chevy SSR+ 4 other trailers & 6 other Cars & Trucks
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Originally Posted by Gillpine View Post
We are still new at this and the pups aren't very acclimated to the trailer yet. They're getting better but still pant a lot and go stand by the truck when let out. Think we'll take it slow.
I hope the dogs are not in the trailer when under way !

Our dogs love the trailer and can hardly wait to go inside when we get to the campground.

Be sure to keep them on leash anytime outside.

Safe Travels
Glen & Jane 1969 Airstream 25' Trade Wind
2014 Toyota Tundra
1998 Chevy Tahoe
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe
2004 Chevy SSR+ 4 other trailers & 6 other Cars & Trucks
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:32 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
"In virtually every campground I've stayed in in the past 15 years leaving pets in the RV when you aren't there except for short periods is against the campground rules."

My "interpretation" of those rules is that you can't leave them alone outside where they might be a problem. We leave them inside our trailer every day, for usually no longer than 6 hours. They sleep all day anyway. If, for some reason, the area is noisy, I leave the radio on so they hear less of the outside noise.

We set the heat / AC as appropriate and have a gizmo that calls us when / if the temperature gets to a certain point that we set. That is in case the campground electricity should go off, etc. And of course we walk them before we go and leave water, etc.

Personally, I'd be just as happy in a hotel when traveling, and it would be less expensive in the long run. The hotel pet rules caused us to buy our trailer in the first place. I've heard this same thing from many people, including our trailer salesman.

IMHO, pets drive the RV industry. Any campground that doesn't allow pets to be left in the trailer where they don't bother anyone doesn't understand their market. Of course, if the pet were to be traumatized and cry all day, then it would be cruel to the pet and that would be a different story.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
dogs in New Orleans

We attended the Mardi Gras rally there (what a blast, by the way). Before we left, we searched Craigs List and found a dog walker with great recommendations. They came ever day, twice a day and spent about an hour or two each time with the dogs. Worked out great.

twestover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:09 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
hellertown , Pennsylvania
We leave our golden 4-6 hours in trailer,all windows open, air on if hot,water. We get tired if shopping or sight seeing more then that anyway. If gone more then that or going far away we will use a day care. but so far we did not see the need to. Carl
carlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
My Dog goes everywhere with me. Hot sunny days are a problem for leaving him in the truck, but I have no problem leaving him in the trailer with the AC on. While not the normal situation, he stays that way at home for up to 8 different than him sleeping through the night! I agree that a Kennel is a better choice if you can't be back in a reasonable time

JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:54 PM   #24
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The main difference in leaving them in the trailer and leaving them at home is the fact that in sunny or warm weather the trailer can overheat thus endangering the dogs. The second difference is if they are noisy in the trailer people around will be alarmed and upset. The third difference may be minor, but I think there is a higher chance of a trailer catching fire than a house. I have seen one pet lost that way.

We sometimes leave our dog in the trailer for fairly long periods. If it is warm or sunny I run the air conditioner and leave the fantastic fan open and on and a couple windows open for a backup if the power goes out or the AC quits. Hopefully with a little shade. If its is very warm and sunny and not shade we just do not leave the dog. There is a lot more danger in leaving the dogs in the car for short periods. We do not do that at all. I spend a lot of time with the dog in the car in Walmart parking lots.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:22 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Many factors to consider, obviously - the dog(s), the venue, the weather, the duration.

Gradual habituation has a lot to do with dog success in any endeavor. My husband and I are in the process of acclimating our dog to our Airstream by leaving her alone for successively longer periods (usually during football games which he attends in full and where I will show up for a quarter or two).

Our dog is crate-trained but she can get anxious if left alone outside of her crate. We don't have room to take a full-sized crate in the Airstream, and so the Alcott Explorer Pup Tent has been a lifesaver for us. It's only about forty bucks and we used it at home, in place of the crate, so that she will become familiar with it. She has slept in it exclusively for about the past six months. Therefore if we have to roll it up and take it on the road and leave her for a longer period, we can set it up inside our Airstream and she will be fine with it. It'll be like any other day, almost.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:56 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member
1974 29' Ambassador
Columbus , 43220
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
What is the difference between leaving them alone at home and in the trailer? Personally if they are barkers I say leave them at home or at a kennel as a courtesy to your park neighbors.
Temperature in the Airstream is what I would worry about. If this is not a problem and the guys are not barkers, leaving them "home" in the Airstream makes sense to me.
tumbleweeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:31 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Doggie Day Care vs Leaving in Trailer during day trips

I've only left Lupe alone in the trailer one time. I shoot in a number of archery tournaments, and Lupe is always there with me. At one, there were a lot more than the usual amount of stickers and thistles, and it was evident that she was having a hard time getting through them. Once or twice, when pulling thistles out of her fur, I stabbed myself in a finger, and it really hurt! She started out with booties, but they came off when we were by a pond and she decided to go swimming, and they wouldn't stay on after they were wet. I have to find more heavy duty booties if we're going to do that tournament again. Anyway, after the morning part of the tournament, she seemed like she had about had it, so I decided to leave her in the trailer with the windows open, fantastic fans running, and plenty of water. I worried about that, because she almost never gets left behind for very long, but when we came back 3-4 hours later, she was asleep on the couch and gave me a look like, "Why did you wake me up?"
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:12 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Queens , New York
we recently attended the RV show in Hershey PA. we would recc highly the park's dog-sitting facility (The Barking Lot). very nice (Brit) attendant and only $ 10.00 per pup. great value.

"Common Sense is like Common Courtesy,
ain't neither one too common these days"
Dobber is offline   Reply With Quote