Old 05-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I do a lot of work with my dogs training (Barclay has passed his CGC and his testing for Therapy work, Navi was a rescue and didn't have as good a start, but she's coming along) and I am a firm believer that every dog has different methods that work well for them, and that different types of dogs have different capabilities. I wouldn't trust my dogs with a wireless fence. There are independent, hard-headed dogs that will blast right through it (I've heard terriers mentioned) and then once they are on the other side the shock keeps them from coming back into their territory.

However labs are extremely trainable and have a desire to please which makes it entirely possible they would respect the fence without question. For the smaller more stubborn/independent dogs, it may not be as good a choice.

There's a reason you never see Jack Russels being used as seeing eye dogs Some dogs spend their lives challenging their training, some just accept it and do their job. It's good to know what category your dog falls into!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #16
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Jo View Post
What about other animals ,dogs, crossing into his zone?
Jo
As a lab, he would welcome a visitor...he has chased many a squirrel/rabbit/etc and has yet to catch one! (Did get a little too close to a black/white kitty once...)
As far as bear or other large game, we would never leave him alone in a remote area...bears are few/far between in New England anyway.
One of those little fences...like shown above...sure wouldn't help either, in fact it may hinder your pet by constraining him.

You really have to think about what would work for you and your pet...the wireless fence has been great for us under many different circumstances, and Shadow loves being able to roam around the yard, campsite, etc...he does NOT like being chained or corralled.We even bought a second transmitter to keep at his "Grandparents".
For those that are interested...we have had a very positive experience with the wireless fence.

B

Old 05-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
grand dogs

We have two furry black labs that are our "grand daughters". We take them often when we go camping. One is a therapy dog and medic alert dog and has done lots of training. She does "reading" with children with reading problems and she does "safety town". She is well known and loves everyone. I would never leave her out because she is way too valuable, and a great companion. The other younger lab is just a "lover" of everyone, and a friendly little sprite. She would go with anyone and we would be heart broken. We would be worried about people coming in to their space and taking them.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudruff View Post
We have two furry black labs that are our "grand daughters". We take them often when we go camping. One is a therapy dog and medic alert dog and has done lots of training. She does "reading" with children with reading problems and she does "safety town". She is well known and loves everyone. I would never leave her out because she is way too valuable, and a great companion. The other younger lab is just a "lover" of everyone, and a friendly little sprite. She would go with anyone and we would be heart broken. We would be worried about people coming in to their space and taking them.
How wonderful! I want Barclay to do the 'reading' with children program, but the therapy organization we certified with doesn't do the program in our area, so I need to get him re-certified with the other group.

Please remember, I'm not advocating anyone leave their dogs unattended. Ours are never out of sight, and sleep in the trailer at night. I wouldn't let anything happen to ours either!

Old 05-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #19
owensLander

1966 26' Overlander
1958 18' "Footer"
1963 16' Bambi
Chattanooga , Tennessee
We use the same size x-pens with a short panel under the steps for our dogs. I also put rope lights on the bottom or top to add interest. Keeps them happy and they can go in and out when they want. I would NOT trust them without supervision...my dogs are little heathens and would bark at everything that passes.
1963 Bambi
owenslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
How wonderful! I want Barclay to do the 'reading' with children program, but the therapy organization we certified with doesn't do the program in our area, so I need to get him re-certified with the other group.
Please remember, I'm not advocating anyone leave their dogs unattended. Ours are never out of sight, and sleep in the trailer at night. I wouldn't let anything happen to ours either!
Stef, I think you will find that you don't need any more qualifications to do the reading thing. Ask some of the special ed teachers and remedial reading program supervisors in your school system, or check at some of the colleges that do teacher training programs. Some of them may be interested and have more information. Our public libraries are often involved with those types of programs too.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Drew05,
Just wonderin....with a lab, husky, pyrenees/lab mix in a 25' AS, where exactly do you sleep? Or is it their AS and you sleep in your tow vehicle?
Andi
Old 05-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
1973 25' Tradewind
Pine Mountain Club , California
Wireless fence works great!

We have (5), yes five, Chesapeake Bay Retrievers 80-110 lbs each and all are trained with the wireless fence. We use it at home where we live on a couple of acres in a residential area. They never leave the yard, but they did lay just inside the perimeter all day and watch the workers build the house next door...I guess it made for great entertainment. Now we're going to be traveling and living full time in our 34' Airstream Limited and are anxious to test the wireless fence on the road. We are going to acclimate the dogs to the trailers in two's or three's...plus the Moluccan Cockatoo!
Old 05-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
1973 25' Tradewind
Pine Mountain Club , California
More on the Chessies!

Oh and I forgot...as far as it working on stubborn/hard to train,active dogs, you can't get more than a Chessie has to offer. My husband says,"You train a Lab...you negotiate with a Chessie!" One warning shock is all it ever took...they learned real quick where the perimeter was from the beeps!
Old 05-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #24

1968 17' Caravel
Sounds like you may need a second 34 footer just for the dogs!

Old 05-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
He Stephanie,
We use the same pens as you. We have 2 of them for our Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Shih-Tzu. Neither of them tries to escape, so we never put anything under the steps to block them in. In fact, we just use the side of the trailer as one side of the perimeter and they don't crawl under the trailer to escape. Nevertheless, when my parents' poodle (a.k.a "Houdini") is in there, there is no keeping him in. He has learned to scale the fence! He should have been a circus dog.

Lisa

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Talking

We use the same portable fence, just two or three of them put together to make a larger area, and a taller version to give our Dobie some more room to move around.

I love the idea of the cut-off section going under the step: our present boy is the only Doberman of our 35 yrs of Dobes to enjoy crawling under things. (Although maybe "enjoy" is too strong: His mama used to chase him and he learned to crawl under the bed and out the other side to escape.)

So far, he has never tried to knock over or jump over the fence, but he certainly could. We never leave him unattended though, and his overriding preference seems to be just to be with us, so as long as we are there, he seems happy to stay in the fence.

I don't think the fenceless thing would work for him; Dobes are pretty strong-minded like the terriers and would be likely to just bull on through the shock and keep going, if they thought it important enough.

Your suggestions reminded me of the extra pipe insulation sitting in the basement: I'll pack it for the resto rally and put it on the upper edge of the fence as aluma-protection! Great idea! Thanks bunches!
Old 06-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
You certainly put a lot of work into your fenced yard! We have something similar for our two goldens. We use two 48" tall expens that include a walk through gate making it easy for the two legged creatures. To secure the fencing so it won't fall over we have snow fencing posts with spikes at the bottom that we easily hammer to the ground. Then using small cable cuffs, we secure the expen to the posts. Pipe insulation is used on the fence ends near the AS to prevent scratches. Fortunately with big dogs things like coolers and bins will prevent them from scooting under the trailer. The pups love their fenced yard.

Mary in CT
Logan and Blaze

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #28

1968 17' Caravel
It worked really well for us at our campout last month. Of course this was in a primitive campground with only friendly neighbors around - I don't think it would be appropriate in all situations But the dogs (and us) loved being able to leave the door open and the dogs could enjoy the outdoors, even had enough room to run and play a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1381.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	133181   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1465.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	133182  

Tags