Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Dog seatbelt / safety harness

Earlier this year when we got the new Flex tow vehicle, we thought we should get the dogs buckled up for trips. I figured new car - new habits, lets start them off right. I wanted them safely buckled into their spots in the back seat.

I bought a pair of doggie seatbelt/safety harnesses for the dogs. I got the Sleepypod ClickIt Utility harness after reading crash test reports from the Center for Pet Safety.

The Utility harness uses straps that fasten into the child safety seat mounts, as well as the seatbelt, to prevent the dogs from being thrown around in any direction in an accident. The dogs seem quite comfortable and can sit or lay down, but are kept in their seat, which also keeps them out of trouble. The harness has a wide padded chest piece to protect them.

We've taken them for several long trips now and are very happy with the harnesses. It's quick to get them in and out (the car seat straps stay in the car all the time) and they can wear the safety harness for walks.

Sleepypod is just coming out with a new design on this harness, called the Sport, which has crash tested just as well, and only uses the seatbelt, so it will be easier to buckle them in. Check out the crash test videos on the Pet Safety website, or on their own website. I've had harnesses that were supposed to be safe and didn't really do anything to keep the dogs in their seat, so I'm really happy to have gotten these, and I highly recommend them.

I know we've had discussions before about the safest way to travel with our pets, so I just wanted to share.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	navi.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	219509   Click image for larger version

Name:	barclay.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	219510  

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Seal Rock , Oregon
Just ran across your post. We travel w/ three dogs, 14, 20 and 30lbs, so will check into this system for them. I'm tired of installing the wire cages and keep cutting my arms and hands on the sharp edges of the wire crates. This might be a nice solution! Thanks for posting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DWI_44356e.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	230205  
ODSCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I am waiting for them to get their new stock in, they have been out of stock on the harness size I need for several months.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:31 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Our 12 lbs. boarder terrier travels in an approved airline pet carrier with the truck's seat belt through the handle. The carrier, also called her den, doubles as her bed in the trailer.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:42 AM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I am waiting for them to get their new stock in, they have been out of stock on the harness size I need for several months.

Aaron
I was on a waiting list for a few months for mine as well, I think they are struggling to keep up with the demand, since they are pretty much the only harness maker that passed testing by keeping the dog safely on the seat. Worth the wait though.

Just yesterday I saw a thread on Reddit about someone who rolled his car, and his dog was ejected and hit by traffic before he could get to him. Stuff like that just makes me sick to think about. Even if you never have a dramatic accident, I've had to stop fast where the dogs slid off the seat. I just want to make sure they are as safe as possible on the road.

We've been using our harnesses for a year now, and we're really happy with them. After the initial tantrums about not being able to stand on the console anymore, the dogs now go directly to their spots and wait to be buckled in.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote