Old 10-14-2009, 10:57 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member
2009 25' FB International
Littleton , Colorado
I bet you that bait smells great for the gopher, and our dogs also can smell it a mile away. I think that it is very easy for a dog to snatch food (or poison) from the ground when on a controlled on-leash walk.

We will be heading to SoCal next year too. Can you PM the campground info, so that we can at least be alert if we decide to stay there.

Carl & Caroline

carlvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:02 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sorry about your dog

I agree, most dogs will eat anything that they can get - and they can get to it fast. In our campground, far too many owners have those roll-up leashes that allow a dog to run for 30 feet or more, and they just stroll around while the dog pretty much goes where it wants to. That kind of leash IMHO is pretty much equivalent to just letting the dog run loose.

Regardless - leaving poison where a DOG can get it, means leaving it where children can get it. The campground is not being run professionally or safely. Call the county health department at a minimum.

I also agree, the campground should pay the vet bill. Glad to hear the dog is recovering.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:33 AM   #17

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

So sad to hear of the poisoning.

Hope all works out well.

We have always camped with our best buddies, when not holding the leash, this is how we delt with the "control" concern....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Views:	65
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	89023  
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:38 AM   #18
The Silver Schooner
2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire

Thought I would update the situation for those interested.

The campground owners(who are not on the premises) were horrified and maintained that the manager was not "authorized" or to use poison. Apparently they also did not follow the proceedure for using it by burying it but used it "topically".

The campground's insurance is paying the vet bills without a quibble - which are in excess of 8K.

The dog is recovering and has returned home from the hospital and apparently will not have long term effects although it will be on medication until February.
Louisa & Jasper Joy
Pudentane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:42 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Here in Fl gophers are an endangered species, oh wait, different kind of gopher. Thanks for the headsup on the poison issue. We keep ours on a 6 foot leash because most campgrounds require that and they can still find goodies to eat off the ground. zz
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:15 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
1963 16' Bambi
Metairie , Louisiana
I have 2 pugs...anyone that owns pugs and for that fact any dog or has a kid knows that buy the time you know they have it (anything bad) is has made its way in the mouth. In this case, I feel liabiltiy rest on both parties, more so on the campgrounds due to negligently broadcasting the product.

Bottom line, I am glad the pet is going to live to see another campground and the owner will nodoubtedly pay more attention to what it is sniffing.

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck
kaffe_1477 is offline   Reply With Quote