Old 02-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Bastrop , Texas
Dog Platform for Back Seat in Crew Cab

Was wondering if anyone had done anything creative in the back seat of their crew cab to make it more comfortable for their dog. We have an 80 lb lab and was thinking of some type of platform that rests across the seats that we can then put a bed on. Goal would be to keep the storage space under the seats. Needs to be stable and level. Welcome ideas and photos. On the floor is dark, she can't see out the window, and must say I wouldn't want to be down there either.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #2
Cloud10

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
Send a message via Skype™ to smccollister
We have been happy with the Orvis back seat hammock that we use in our Tundra with the labs. It is machine washable as well.

http://www.orvis.com/p/windowed-hamm...protector/2ect

Old 02-12-2016, 04:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We use a similar hammock as a seat protector and put our travel crates on it. Our dogs are smaller.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
My 2015 RAM crew solves that problem. With both rear seats lifted a platform can be folded out giving you a flat solid floor from door to door & does not affect under seat storage, I don't have a dog but often thought how convenient if I did.
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:06 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
2012 27' FB International
Ft Myers , Florida
Any of the chain pet stores will have a hammock at 1/4 the price of that Orvis product. Ours is at least 8 years old. Washes up great. They are as much a safety product as a comfort product for your dog.
2016 RAM 2500
FL Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:35 PM   #6
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Canine Crib

My TV is a Ram Crew cab with the bench rear seat. I made a slip cover to cover the rear lower seat when it is the up position and laid a board across the space below. The slip cover has a layer of foam on the backside to add protection for the dogs from the underside of the seat.

The board is plywood which sits flat atop the transmission hump and the two storage compartments below the rear seat. I made two drawers which fit between the front and rear seats under the platform. One to house dog toys, leashes, treats, poop bags, etc. I keep work gloves, rain gear, flashlights, flares, etc., in the second drawer behind the driver in case of emergency road stops.

I covered the plywood with a piece of spare carpeting and then added a foam mattress so my two Danes would be comfortable (no elbow sores from the carpet). The mattress cover is made from leftover Sunbrella fabric, has a zipper on the long edge, and it can be removed for washing whenever dirty.

I hope this helps as you decide next steps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor Board.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	257195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dog Mattress.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	257196  

Sirs Gawain & Galahad
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
My TV is a Ram Crew cab with the bench rear seat. I made a slip cover to cover the rear lower seat when it is the up position and laid a board across the space below. The slip cover has a layer of foam on the backside to add protection for the dogs from the underside of the seat.

The board is plywood which sits flat atop the transmission hump and the two storage compartments below the rear seat. I made two drawers which fit between the front and rear seats under the platform. One to house dog toys, leashes, treats, poop bags, etc. I keep work gloves, rain gear, flashlights, flares, etc., in the second drawer behind the driver in case of emergency road stops.

I covered the plywood with a piece of spare carpeting and then added a foam mattress so my two Danes would be comfortable (no elbow sores from the carpet). The mattress cover is made from leftover Sunbrella fabric, has a zipper on the long edge, and it can be removed for washing whenever dirty.

I hope this helps as you decide next steps.
Lucky pups!
Nice...
Bruce
Old 02-12-2016, 06:12 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Bastrop , Texas
smccollister and rmkrum, I like the idea of the hammock because I can lay the seat down and it gives out lab a little extra room in the back. What about the gap between the base of the back seat and the back of the front seat - does the dog/hammock drop down between them when your dog moves around?
SeeMore, the platform looks great and thanks for the photos. Is there any reason you didn't rest the plywood on top of the seat so you had a little more room for your dog?
Old 02-12-2016, 11:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Dog Platform for Back Seat in Crew Cab

Our hammock came from Petsmart, I think. It has straps in 4 places on the front and back edge that snap around the front seat headrests and the back seat headrest. There is s zipper in the center so you can split the front edge and let someone sit on one side. There are slots for the seat belts.

We usually ride with the unbuckled front edge on the floor and crates on the seat for our smallish dogs. The scatterbrained pups ride in crates and the older, calmer dogs prefer the floor. The two Pomeranians and the two Malti-poos are in the crates. The Tibetan terrier and the old lady chi mix have a mat on the floor. They all sleep on the freeway, and wake up when we are on local streets. They all love to travel like this, and think the AS is a big dog crate, apparently.

The fabric is grey sort of heavy canvas. Seems to take the abuse of crate corners and doggie claws. Pulled one out of our old TV when we sold it, and rear seat fabric was in perfect shape.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, This is what I did for Dusty. Dusty rode back there for 3 1/2 months and for over 13,000 miles during our cross country trip in 2015.

(1.) I put the rear seat up.

(2.) I put a Weather Tech floor liner on top of the factory carpet.

(2. a) Not shown in pictures and added later. One inch thick foam pad installed between the Floor Liner and the Mover's Blanket.

(3.) I put a folded in half Mover's Blanket on top of the floor liner.

(4.) I put a Dog Blanket on top of the mover's blanket. Note: Dog Blanket is smooth on one side and like a sheep skin on the other side. Smooth side up in hot weather, and fake sheep skin side up in cold weather.

(5.) Leather leash attached to seat frame and connected to dog harness. Dog bed on street side, Food Plate [not shown] and "Waterhole" on curb side. Bed pillow attached to center consul. [hard plastic]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC06837.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	257214   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06838.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	257215  

Name:	DSC06839.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	257217   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06840.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	384.7 KB
ID:	257218  

Name:	DSC06841.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	379.6 KB
ID:	257219  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:41 AM   #11
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
"Is there any reason you didn't rest the plywood on top of the seat so you had a little more room for your dog?...."

Actually, its two dogs. One at 150 lbs & the other 165 lbs. Standing, as built, they almost touch the ceiling and its more like loading ponies. Their primary space is the shell covered cargo box but weather extremes require use of the cab for heated or chilled air.

Sirs Gawain & Galahad
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We travel with an 80# Lab and a 60# Lab. We bought some "fillers" sold by Orivis I think that fit between the back of the front seat and the back seat of the crew. We then took an old mattress, actually a temperpedic and my wife made covers and we lay these on top of the back seat and over the filler pieces. The dogs can lie down and still look out the window if they want while traveling. When I take them out or into the truck I move the filler piece on the drivers side towards the center and they jump onto the floor and then I help them out of the truck. I've heard lots of front leg injuries by letting dogs jump from the seat out, so we don't.

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:02 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
There are no easy answers to this one.

As former dog show/agility trial/hunt test people, we are used to transporting our standard poodles in crates, for their comfort and safety. But good crates may not be especially useful in a serious collision, and some can actually be dangerous, especially for large and giant breeds.

Before deciding on any dog-transport approach, we suggest taking a look at
http://www.centerforpetsafety.org/te...study-results/

Unprotected dogs become flying objects in collisions and panic stops - it's a simple matter of physics. We have known of unrestrained dogs to be thrown through windshields. We've also known of terrified dogs, thrown clear of a wreck, to have been struck and killed by another vehicle. Go to enough shows/trials/tests and you'll hear more sad stories than you can imagine.

FWIW, it's one of the reasons we decided to buy Airstream motorhomes rather than Airstream trailers.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:46 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
Like SeeMore, #6 above, I have a 150 lb Harlequin Dane. Consequently, I simply took out the back seats of my Ram 2500 Crew Cab & installed a covered plywood floor, which goes from window to window & from the back of the front seats to the rear of the cab. BigDog gets the entire back-seat area. Woof!!!

"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote