Old 02-13-2016, 01:17 PM   #15
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Dog Platform for Back Seat in Crew Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
My 2015 RAM crew solves that problem. With both rear seats lifted a platform can be folded out giving you a flat solid floor from door to door & does not affect under seat storage, I don't have a dog but often thought how convenient if I did.

We did the same thing for our golden retriever in our RAM1500 crew cab. Added a rug to the floor, however, as the finish on the manufacturer-supplied fold out platform was too slippery for him. This is the rug we used, which seemed to work well for him. He looked very comfortable back there and couldn't wait to climb back in for the next day's adventures.: http://amzn.to/1Khgu1d

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:58 PM   #16
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
We use secured crates sometimes, but also a seat hammock (as mentioned above) in both of our towing vehicles (Expedition SUV and Crew Cab pickup) but we also have our dogs harnessed to the seatbelt on the seat. Windfallsp is right on about the dangers of transporting dogs loose in a vehicle. Just too many sad stories of an accident and the dogs become either projectiles in the vehicle, or a window was broken and a dog gets out on the road and hit or lost or a good Samaritan opens the door and the frightened dog jumps out and runs away. I am able to put things on the floors of the vehicles in front of the back seats that, due to the hammock's design the dogs can't get to, worthwhile especially if its food or fragile things. The hammocks are also good for holding other items when the dogs aren't along, as well as the fact that they are super easy to remove when you have extra passengers.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Classic
Moutain Center , California
Dogs should not be jumping up (hip displaysia) or down (disc hernia) from any height. This is a real problem which may not affect your dog until he is older, like mine (now deceased) who ended up with a herniated disc and became paralyzed. That said, I do not want my dogs 43lbs. & 68lbs. jumping up onto the rear seat in our double cab TV, but I want them to be up on the seat so that they can look out the windows. We purchased a specialty dog seat cover that IS NOT A HAMMOCK. The cover goes all the way down to the floor and then up the back of the front seats. My dogs climb to the floor and then up onto the seats. I keep a water bowl on the floor and towels in case I need them, the seats are protected and the cover is also a barrier to keep them out of the front seats.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o08_s00

We also purchased door guards to protect from dog scratches.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o07_s00

When you purchase a brand new $50,000 truck - but still want the dogs to ride along, this is what you have to do! The door guards need weight in the pockets or they'll come off and fly out the window! I put bottled water in there, that way I always have extra water. I also do not use the inserts to place into the window gap because they come out whenever you open or close the window, I purchased command velcro strips and anchor the door guards that way.

*If the links don't work, just copy and paste into address bar.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:12 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfallsp View Post
There are no easy answers to this one.

As former dog show/agility trial/hunt test people, we are used to transporting our standard poodles in crates, for their comfort and safety. But good crates may not be especially useful in a serious collision, and some can actually be dangerous, especially for large and giant breeds.

Before deciding on any dog-transport approach, we suggest taking a look at
http://www.centerforpetsafety.org/te...study-results/

Unprotected dogs become flying objects in collisions and panic stops - it's a simple matter of physics. We have known of unrestrained dogs to be thrown through windshields. We've also known of terrified dogs, thrown clear of a wreck, to have been struck and killed by another vehicle. Go to enough shows/trials/tests and you'll hear more sad stories than you can imagine.

FWIW, it's one of the reasons we decided to buy Airstream motorhomes rather than Airstream trailers.
Thank you. I've been seat belting my kelpie ever since he was a puppy cause I did my research. No front seat and no sticking his face out any Windows.

I'm totally at a loss though when we are in the Airstream, we have a 1988 Classic Moho. There are no seat belts for him now that we've removed those two seats. And those seats were too small for him when we had them anyway.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:18 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
The hammock concept didn't work in our F250 crewcab because the headrests in front are one solid piece so the loop managed to slip over the top. We bought some plastic storage bins that fit perfectly between the gap in the back seat. They are about 16" L x 10" W x 6" H. We stacked 4 of them (2 high, 2 wide) on the drivers side, one over the drive train hump, and two stacked on the passenger side. Fold a moving blanket and a dog blanket over the top and it makes a nice stable comfortable platform. We didn't stack all the way across so that the older dog would have a lower space to step up on the passenger side. The bins are great for storing, well, dog food, among other things.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

My dogs are small...Pomeranian and chihuahua. When traveling anywhere, they are wearing collar with tags, harness and short leash tethered to seat belts. When I open their door, I put regular leash on before removing seat belt tether. For long trips....usually in secured crate. They get excited when we travel and I take no chances....they are like little furry toddlers...."where are we going now, Mom?"
Old 02-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #21
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
I like your suggestion riowerks as sometimes I want to take the pickup and do the crates vs the seatbelt routine.
So right, ColoradoLady, little furry toddlers for sure.
(sometimes I wish I could just like "like" on comments. I know, Facebook is the devil )
Old 02-13-2016, 04:51 PM   #22
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Dog Platform for Back Seat in Crew Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Winch View Post
Dogs should not be jumping up (hip displaysia) or down (disc hernia) from any height.

We heartily agree about the jumping. We had a ramp for our golden which we used any time he climbed into or out of the truck's crew cab where he travelled. Sometimes we also used it to help him climb in and out of the trailer. (He did not like those metal steps.) We stored it in the truck bed whenever it wasn't in use.

Edit - this isn't exactly the ramp we had, but it was similar to this one: http://amzn.to/1QenwA0

2nd edit: We also had him wear a safety harness while in the truck, which we connected to a seat belt clip via a short leash specifically designed for that purpose.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:55 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
My 2004 RAM 2500 Crew Cab has rear seats that fold up, and a platform that folds out to mostly cover the space. I imagined a paw getting caught in there, so made a custom cut 3/8" OSB board that fully seals it off, and glued down indoor-outdoor carpet on it.

Though trying to boost up our old labrador is a pain, not to mention the panting in our ears from two big dogs while driving. So most of the time they ride in the camper shell. I built a 6' ramp that just fits in the back, with astroturf and little cleats on it. After a day at Jupiter Dog Beach, it's great!
Old 02-13-2016, 05:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfallsp View Post
There are no easy answers to this one.

As former dog show/agility trial/hunt test people, we are used to transporting our standard poodles in crates, for their comfort and safety. But good crates may not be especially useful in a serious collision, and some can actually be dangerous, especially for large and giant breeds.

Before deciding on any dog-transport approach, we suggest taking a look at
http://www.centerforpetsafety.org/te...study-results/

Unprotected dogs become flying objects in collisions and panic stops - it's a simple matter of physics. We have known of unrestrained dogs to be thrown through windshields. We've also known of terrified dogs, thrown clear of a wreck, to have been struck and killed by another vehicle. Go to enough shows/trials/tests and you'll hear more sad stories than you can imagine.

FWIW, it's one of the reasons we decided to buy Airstream motorhomes rather than Airstream trailers.

Excellent point. Working in rescue near a major Interstate highway we get dogs from police and human officers that have been involved in highway accidents in their owners vehicles and run away unhurt, but so afraid they become lost. Therefore, when we even simply go for a short local drive outs are not only on their seats as outlined previously but strapped in using the back seat, seat belts as anchors.

Thanks

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:14 AM   #25
Have trailer..will travel

2004 28' International CCD
1948 22' Liner
Oakland , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to MsRivet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarcoola View Post
Was wondering if anyone had done anything creative in the back seat of their crew cab to make it more comfortable for their dog. We have an 80 lb lab and was thinking of some type of platform that rests across the seats that we can then put a bed on. Goal would be to keep the storage space under the seats. Needs to be stable and level. Welcome ideas and photos. On the floor is dark, she can't see out the window, and must say I wouldn't want to be down there either.
YES!!! I think this might be more of what you were looking for . . .

My husband, MrRivet, built a dog box for our last chocolate lab. Roxy (60 lbs) was crippled and we had to lift her into/out of the truck ... and even every time in/out of the Airstream. We always wanted her to be apart of the family and did everything to make that happen. She insisted on lying on the console of my husband's truck when we traveled. To make her more comfortable & safer my husband built the dog box because we use to stack up the boat cushions from the cabin of our boat.

When we used the cushions it wasn't safe plus it ate up all our storage space on the interior of the crew cab truck. The 'Dog Box' was quite tricky to build since there are crazy angels and the seat brackets to cut around. Once complete I made a custom 2 piece pad covered with canvas material to cover both the console & top of box. The two piece pad was necessary to be able to flip the piece open that lies on top of the console for access into console when dog wasn't on it.

Roxy passed 2 1/2 years ago. We kept the box because it worked great to hold things in place better while on big trips. We also use two storage bins (one on each side of dog box) that sit perfectly on the floor next to it. Good thing we kept it now we have 10 month old JETT a healthy black lab pushing 70 lbs now. She 'got' the dog box from day one and wouldn't ride anywhere else. We have trained her to enter from the passenger front door. First she jumps into the floor, then to the passenger seat and finally onto the console. Just like hopping onto different platform levels. And even though this one is healthy we always lift her out from that height. Works GREAT!!!

I hope this helps!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2327.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	257314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2341.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	257315  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2340.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	257316   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2335.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	257317  

Old 02-16-2016, 10:02 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Classic
Moutain Center , California
The 'Dog Box' was quite tricky to build since there are crazy angels and the seat brackets to cut around.

Just wondering....what is a crazy angel?
Old 02-16-2016, 01:08 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Pretty much any of the ones on 'Supernatural'

(Rimshot)

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
I don't know what size your dogs are, but we have two small shih tzus and our teen daughter also rides in the back of our 2012 Tundra crewmax, so I got a dog car seat for the dogs, one dog is 9 lbs and the other 14 lbs, they both fir in the seat fine, and with harnesses I can attach them to the seat belt and they are safe in case we were in an accident.

http://www.amazon.com/Snoozer-Lookou...s=dog+car+seat