Old 01-07-2006, 10:17 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Exclamation Dog Owners: Please Read

This is off the Airstream topic, but relates to some of our 4 legged best friends/family members we travel with....I hope it's OK to spread the word in the Pet Forum.

In case you haven't seen the news or heard, there has been a recall on some dog foods made by Diamond Pet Foods. It has been recalled due to high levels of Alfatoxin, which damages the liver, many times leading to death.

Hundreds of dogs have fallen ill and/or died over the holidays since the recall, but most have vets and consumers are not aware, as the recall came out right before the holidays.

THIS IS NOT A HOAX

Please take some time to look at some of the links below, and check if your state of purchase and dog food brand is affected. Pass the word to other dog owners please!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/200601...BhBHNlYwM5NjQ-

http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/diamond12_05.html

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/news/arti...ndPetFoods.htm

http://www.diamondpetrecall.com/

Since the food in question was produced at a particular facility, only certain states are affected. The following states and brands are affected:

States: Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky (eastern), Main, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, Vermont, and Virginia

Brands:
Diamond Premium Adult Dog Food
Diamond Hi-Energy Dog Food
Diamond Maintenance Dog Food
Diamond Professional for Adult Dogs
Diamond Performance Dog Food
Diamond Puppy Food
Diamond Low Fat Dog Food
Diamond Maintenance Cat Food
Diamond Professional Cat Food
Country Value Puppy
Country Value Adult Dog Food
Country Value High Energy Dog Food
Country Value Adult Cat Food
Professional Chicken & Rice Adult Dog Food
Professional Puppy Food
Professional Large-Breed Puppy Food
Professional Reduced Fat Cat Food
Professional Adult Cat Food

Rgds
Kevin

Old 01-07-2006, 10:38 AM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Kevin,
Thank you for posting this information. Thank goodness I am not in the area that this has happened. I hope the East Coast media is flooding the area with this information.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:06 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
What a senseless tragedy. It goes to show that manufacturers will use anything as pet food. It brings to point that everyone should read the label of their pet's favorite food. Hormons, animal by products, anti-biotics and corn are not your pet's friend.

I can't imagine anything more tragic then unwittingly posioning my best friend.

Reading three major newspapers a day, I am particularly concerned that this is the first I have heard of this problem. Thank goodness my sweetie eats another product......

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Pet Food Tragedy

Hi Group, In a kennel near where I live in NC, 8 dogs died from eating the tainted food. What a terrible thing to have happen.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:37 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
This is a great place for this to be posted! Seems to me RV'ers move around a lot and so could have purchased the tainted food without knowing or realizing it.
Recalled products can be identified by the Date Code and "Best By" dates listed on the back panel of the package. Recalled products will have a capital "G" (in reference to Gaston) in the 11th or 12th position of the date code (18 lb. to 55 lb. bags), and "Best By" dates between March 1, 2007 and June 10, 2007. The capital "G" will be in the 9th position on smaller 4 lb. to 8 lb. bags.
If you feed Diamond, it is easy to check those things.
Diamond is acting in a responsible manner on this situation.
Many people that compete in conformation (dog shows), agility, obedience, and other performance competition feed this brand. I cannot imagine how this affect Diamond in the long run, how much this is going to cost them. Nor can I imagine losing any of my dogs, much less having entire kennels wiped out, entire lines!
The only thing I can say is this could have happened with ANY BRAND.

Elizabeth in Iowa (Still feeding Diamond Performance here)
Old 01-07-2006, 02:39 PM   #6
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby
Hi Group, In a kennel near where I live in NC, 8 dogs died from eating the tainted food. What a terrible thing to have happen.
I realize that not everyone has the option of boarding with their dog's vet but I am fortunate that my dog's vet does board dogs and I provide my dog's dogfood for his stay to help prevent a picky eater. I have always used a special diet for my dog. My previous dog was diabetic and required a veterinary only available diet and twice daily insulin injections so I wanted him where he could get his meds and had immediate treatment available if something was discovered to have gone wrong. My current dog is on a premium puppy food (one of the dog show sponsors, its the one the breeder started him on). Glad it isn't the one in the recall, but as was said, any dog food could be recalled for any number of reasons.

BTW, when in college a vet student friend of mine told me that "animal by products" meant that when an owner has their pet euthinized and doesn't claim the body, it is cremated and the cremains are added to dog food as filler. Pretty gross! Not really sure if that is still, or ever was, true.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #7
aka buckwheat's wife...

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
This is off the Airstream topic, but relates to some of our 4 legged best friends/family members we travel with....I hope it's OK to spread the word in the Pet Forum.

In case you haven't seen the news or heard, there has been a recall on some dog foods made by Diamond Pet Foods. It has been recalled due to high levels of Alfatoxin, which damages the liver, many times leading to death.

Hundreds of dogs have fallen ill and/or died over the holidays since the recall, but most have vets and consumers are not aware, as the recall came out right before the holidays.

Rgds
Kevin
This is what I read today:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10771943/

It's just terrible.

"I find that it is not the circumstances in which we are placed, but the spirit in which we face them, that constitutes our comfort."
-Elizabeth T. King
PluffMudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1992 25' Airstream 250
anywhere , New Jersey
Thanks God we feed our dog chicken necks, backs and give her a bone a few times a week. She also likes hamburgers. All raw of course. She also gets some raw vegetables.