Old 11-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5 View Post
I am lost here.....how do you lock your trailers (especially the newer ones) without using keys from the outside? Perhaps I shouldn't know this, as this has so far prevented us from locking our keys inside our 2004 Classic!
That feature is designed in, it locks on it's own when closed, InlandAndy splain please.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
That feature is designed in, it locks on it's own when closed, InlandAndy splain please.
Ours must be defective, then....and, has been since brand new! We frequently close the door, leaving it unlocked, and I have never found it locked when I tried to re-open it! In fact, it sits right now with the door closed and unlocked in out backyard... It's a mechanical lock, so how can this happen?

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 11-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
We found out on our inaugural trip. Slam the door of the 2006 international ccd and lots of times the handle slides into locked position. We had only one set of keys when that first happened, and luckily we were outside the trailer with the keys. Next stop on the itinerary: Home Depot. We now have the three sets of keys, one stays in the TV (with keyless entry) at all times. Love the lockbox idea. Airstreamers are an ingenious bunch
Old 11-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
I find this interesting.... Here are 3 of us with fairly new Airstreams. One person says the lock was designed that way; one says it happens accidentally, when the door is slammed; and, one (me!) who slams the door, leaving it unlocked, who has never had this happen! I also leave pets inside our trailer, so I will likely hide a spare key somewhere....just in case!

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 11-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #19
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Sometimes when opening the door from the inside to go out, my fingers slide down on the lock lever and that's how we get locked out! The wife has also been know to do the same thing. The lock box has 3 keys in it, the 2 trailer keys and the tv key.

Bob
Old 11-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Austin , Texas
It is easy to lock yourself out of the new ones, I should know as I have done it once and I am sure glad I had a second set of keys in my TV that was unlocked at the time. My 2008 Bambi has two locks on the door, one is the dead bolt that can only be thrown with a key from the outside or the handle from the inside that one take a dileberate effort to lock and if it was thrown as you leave the trailer the door would not close, the other is the little lever that is spring loaded, a good bump, or a slam of the door will cause this lever to jump over and lock the door. This is the lock that locks the door handle, and the one that got me locked out. I placed a small piece of foam in the slot that keeps this lever from being moved by accident. It is appears that there are two groups, those that have already been locked out and those that have yet to be locked out.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:53 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia
We have a 1968, while the outside is a doorknob, the inside is a lever. If the lever is in the downward position, the door will lock when you slam it. If it is in the upward or neutral position it will not lock when you close the door, so that is when you use the key to lock it. After hearing about doorknob mechanisms failing to work and people being trapped inside or stuck outside, I am glad we have figured out an escape route too.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #22
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi Foster View Post
We have a 1968, while the outside is a doorknob, the inside is a lever. If the lever is in the downward position, the door will lock when you slam it. If it is in the upward or neutral position it will not lock when you close the door, so that is when you use the key to lock it. After hearing about doorknob mechanisms failing to work and people being trapped inside or stuck outside, I am glad we have figured out an escape route too.
1968.....never mind, automatic, unwanted door locking is a feature of the newer trailers only....................I tink.

BTW, you will find a little in many of my posts....sorry.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
This summer at Yellowstone my spousal unit went off to work early and locked the door behind her (protect me from???). I got up, scratched and took the dog out to do her thing. When the door closed, I was locked out.

No phone (no cell coverage in YNP housing anyway), cold, grumpy unfed dog. By the time wife got home, grumpy unfed me.

I have a door key safety wired in an unlikely place now...

mike
Old 11-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
rio rancho , New Mexico
Smile

had the same lockout situation.
solved by installing a screw in lockplate, with the head out a quarter of an inch.
when i am using a/s i just put a garden hose washer over screw head + lock lever.
now you need a key on the outside to lock the one lock, the other can't be locked.
when in storage i remove the washer + lock both locks.
+ second key is now always in t/v.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #25
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
I heard a story once that a dog left in the Airstream had jumped up on the door and inadvertently locked the door leaving the owners locked out We've also been locked out once and tried to "break in" to our Airstream (impossible) through windows. We eventually had to hire a locksmith who picked the lock open in a matter of about, oh -- five seconds? We now keep a spare key hidden on the exterior of the Airstream. What an experience!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Slam it Hard Enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5 View Post
I find this interesting.... Here are 3 of us with fairly new Airstreams. One person says the lock was designed that way; one says it happens accidentally, when the door is slammed; and, one (me!) who slams the door, leaving it unlocked, who has never had this happen! I also leave pets inside our trailer, so I will likely hide a spare key somewhere....just in case!
... and often enough, and I guarantee it will lock, sooner or later.
It is a design defect, not a design intention.
Never, ever leave your Airstream without the key in your pocket, especially with pets inside,
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
... and often enough, and I guarantee it will lock, sooner or later.
It is a design defect, not a design intention.
Never, ever leave your Airstream without the key in your pocket, especially with pets inside,
We have made available, a "lock out kit" at no charge.

All we need is a SASE with 2 stamps on it and we will send the kit to the addressee.

That kit, does stop the lock from engaging, when the door is slammed.

We have already shipped hundreds of those kits.

Andy
Old 01-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethowens View Post
3 Sets of keys.

1 for regular usage
2 to be kept in the TV
3 to be kept in the trailer
Actually I know the 3 sets of keys is only right when there is only 1 adult.

1) 1 to be kept in the TV
2) 1 to be kept in the trailer
3) 1 for each adult and each responsible child (to be determined by parent/guardian)
4) 1 for trusted friend/family member (optional since it doesn't always help on trip, can work in caravan) (sometimes can be campground management if you normally go to the same campground and trust them).