Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2017, 04:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Dog Barrier/ TV

I am looking for recommendations for a dog barrier or restraint to keep my dogs in the back passenger compartment of my extended cab pick up truck (Ram 2500) and also my SUV (Subaru Forester). Separate recommendations for each vehicle are OK. I do not want to crate my dogs. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:15 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I am looking for recommendations for a dog barrier or restraint to keep my dogs in the back passenger compartment of my extended cab pick up truck (Ram 2500) and also my SUV (Subaru Forester). Separate recommendations for each vehicle are OK. I do not want to crate my dogs. Thanks.
We have a dog hammock for ours. It works very well. She can stand, move around, look out the window, but can't access the front.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I have a dog safety harness that I use on my 22 pound Tibetan Terrier. He is able to lie on the seat, or look out the window, and the harness holds him in place if I brake hard. Found it at Petsmart. It ties to a strap that runs from a child seat anchor (LATCH) beneath the seat and the anchor behind the headrest. That secures the dog's harness and allows movement at the same time.

I have a seat-covering dog hammock to keep the hair, drool and possible vomit off the upholstery, although my pups have not had carsickness issues. (yet).

That said, a properly secured crate is considered to be much safer--the other three smaller doggies always ride in a crate. YMMV.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
It took our dog all of about 10 seconds to defeat the dog hammock we bought for the back seat of our truck - around the edge by the door and he jumped right up on the console like he normally would have. Maybe if he was bigger he wouldn't have fit through there.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:15 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntersville , North Carolina
Went through the research for this with new dog last year.
Check out these harnesses. http://sleepypod.com/clickit We didn't go with this option but I do believe it's the safest harness available.
Especially check out their links to the safety testing for other harnesses and crates etc. Lots to learn.

"To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring -- it was peace." M. Kundera
Ruffn It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We use soft-sided crates.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:58 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Fallon , Nevada
Lightbulb Good choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffn It View Post
Went through the research for this with new dog last year.
Check out these harnesses. http://sleepypod.com/clickit We didn't go with this option but I do believe it's the safest harness available.
Especially check out their links to the safety testing for other harnesses and crates etc. Lots to learn.
It is the safest, according to the Center for Pet Safety.
http://www.centerforpetsafety.org
Check them out. They appear perfectly legit and are sponsored by Subaru.
Scorge-ION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:16 PM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
There are seat belt clips that fit the female connection for the seatbelts. These can be connected to either the dogs collar or better yet a harness. I just bought a pair to secure my son's two dogs. They are readily available on the Internet and a the larger pet stores.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Thanks for your responses. I am more interested in barriers than harnesses. The reasons which come to mind are I have 2 dogs and wonder if they would get tangled in 2 harnesses. The other reason is one of my dogs has already chewed through regular seat belts in a minute or 2, leashes and collars even quicker. I want something that will keep him in the back if I have to run into a store, etc. As I said in my original post I do not want a crate.

As far as chew damage I thought about a muzzle. A "Gentle Leader" was suggested and I bought one, but have not used it yet. Anybody have any experience with either of these?
Old 04-26-2017, 08:44 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Going Where , The Climate Suits Our Clothes
Quote:
A "Gentle Leader" was suggested and I bought one, but have not used it yet. Anybody have any experience with either of these?
I've used gentle leaders. Great if you have a dog that is difficult to control on leash (and will tolerate the leader). It will not have any effect on the dog's ability to chew things. It does not close the dog's mouth as proper fit is to have it behind the jawline so the dog can breath, pant, drink, eat, etc.
Beerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffn It View Post
I'd dare them to harness Molly. She's so active she'd be spinning and chewing and twisting that by the time you got her fastened to the seat, you'd be exhausted.
Besides, I'm getting the hammock to keep dog hair off the seat.

Quote:
A "Gentle Leader" was suggested and I bought one, but have not used it yet. Anybody have any experience with either of these?
Yeah, and didn't like it. It does not inhibit chewing, it does work with pulling on a leash a little, but I didn't like how it rode up too close to her eyes. I felt like she might hurt herself.

Quote:
I am more interested in barriers than harnesses. The other reason is one of my dogs has already chewed through regular seat belts in a minute or 2, leashes and collars even quicker. I want something that will keep him in the back if I have to run into a store, etc. As I said in my original post I do not want a crate.
Let's see, he chews through straps and collars, and you don't want a crate.
My dog went through a chewing stage, but seems to have outgrown that around two. I think the chewing is separation anxiety. The best cure for overactive dogs (mine qualifies) is so much exercise that they're exhausted.

How about the WeatherTech dog barrier?
http://www.autoanything.com/pet-travel/69A5164A0A0.aspx
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote