Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2007, 02:46 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
1969 31' Sovereign
Ft. Worth , Texas
Do they look innocent enough?

Hi all. We're on the eve of purchasing our first Airstream! We're full-timers and our boys (Lucas and Spencer...aren't they cute!) have adapted well, but we wonder something. We're decidedly hooked on the 27' International Sig Series with the Ocean Breeze interior and we're a bit worried about the screens. In our fifth wheel, the screens are on the outside. Any suggestions beyond taking them out???? Yikes!

Oh, and any creative suggestions on keeping the cushions cleaned without having to refabric (which we're considering)!

Glad to see so many animal lovers! Our boys are rotten...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001-Edit.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	37746   Click image for larger version

Name:	lucas at grandmas.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	396.3 KB
ID:	37747  

stowaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Welcome to our world of Airstreamng!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stowaways
Hi all. We're on the eve of purchasing our first Airstream! We're full-timers and our boys (Lucas and Spencer...aren't they cute!) have adapted well, but we wonder something. We're decidedly hooked on the 27' International Sig Series with the Ocean Breeze interior and we're a bit worried about the screens. In our fifth wheel, the screens are on the outside. Any suggestions beyond taking them out???? Yikes!

Oh, and any creative suggestions on keeping the cushions cleaned without having to refabric (which we're considering)!

Glad to see so many animal lovers! Our boys are rotten...
Welcome...Congrats...and Good Luck!!!

The Signature Series and the Ocean Breeze are two different interior schemes...both are an International...but totally different trailers...just want you to be clear while you are looking for a unit.

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If it's the entry door screen you are primarily concerned about, you could install a screen guard on it. It would keeep the dogs from pawing the entire height of the screen. You may have to do something similar for the window screens that they can get at also.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Screen door guards are standard now!

G

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 05-22-2007, 04:01 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Your boys are darling! We have two darling girls (Yorkies) and find the only way to keep fabric clean is to buy Sunbrella or any other washable outdoor fabric and make slip covers. If you look long enough, you can find some very nice patterns. We even have Sunbrella-like fabric in our home.
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
You may check with the dealer, or gmorris may know - I think the fabrics on some of the new trailers are sunbrella. They were in the CCDs I had. Very easy to keep!
Pecos Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Welcome!

I saw the unit you are looking at in the 25' version at the dealership lately. I liked it a LOT. I recently had my little nephew as a visitor, 2 years old and not quite potty trained. Similar to your guys? Since he was just visiting I got a single bed mattress protector for the seat under the TV thinking he'd sleep there. As it turned out, we took down the table and put his small crate (playpen) there for the duration.

The good news is that the cushions are basically flat and simple rectangles with the exception of the dinette seats. Even they aren't complex... just have curved edges. You could easily make slipcovers out of fabric or vinyl. They actually still make the dreaded clear vinyl for your granny's slipcovers (the ones your thighs become glued to), but I'd choose a blue vinyl that closely matches the factory fabric.

Here's how I'd do it. For the seats and the big wedge back cushion make topper covers (top and sides of cushions with elastic straps around the bottoms to keep them on. No zippers or tight fittings. For the seat back covers, make snap-on covers in simple rectangles. Leave the ends open but hem to 1" longer than the cushion, wrap around the cushion and snap in the back. If snaps are difficult for you, you can use a button, and make a loop out of heavy elastic to pull over from the opposite edge. When you're having company, remove the covers, when you want to let the children play, slap them on.

As for the screens, open the windows, put a mothball or two inside the screens, let them sit for a few days, then remove. The smell should repel the dogs and should linger for weeks. Replacing screen is simple with a little practice and someone to show you how the first time, so don't let that be a deal breaker. You might also be able to velcro on some clear Lexan or other plastic over the screens until your doggies learn to avoid the screens. It would also make good "winter storm windows" if you're fulltiming or like to winter camp. If you've seen the foil bubble covers for ceiling vents, you've got the idea... and of course you could even make covers for the windows like that, if letting light in isn't an issue.

Welcome again!

Paula Ford
Old 05-22-2007, 04:46 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
1969 31' Sovereign
Ft. Worth , Texas
Paula, what wonderful suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to splain it. Not much with a sewing machine, but the thought of using snaps gave me a great idea. And how cool in an Airstream!

G, you're a dealer? Maybe I'm confused, but check out this site. This isn't where we're purchasing ours, but identical. It is indeed labeled as an International Signature Series with the Ocean Breeze interior. What am I missing? LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 3.png
Views:	154
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	37765  
stowaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:04 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorris
Screen door guards are standard now!

G
That's great, it's long overdue!
Old 05-22-2007, 05:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
You might not be missing anything the first Ocean Breeze they came out with that I have in inventory are not listed as Signature Series...it does seem that some of the later one's are labeled both Signature and Ocean Breeze...somewhat confusing????

Either way your gonna love it!!!!

G

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 05-22-2007, 05:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
They have made the Ocean Breeze part of the Sig. Series color option...

Signature Series

G

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 05-22-2007, 06:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by stowaways
I have two solutions which I use. For our 2002 Bambi, I purchased a heavy cotton bedspread in a color which matches my interior. I have never had to use anything to hold it in place other than hanging it over the back of the gaucho and then tucking it in between the back and the seat of the gaucho. I use it to cover my gaucho because our Golden Retriever likes to sneak up on it (especially when he is dirty or wet).

For the two gauchos in our Bambi II, I purchased a matching polar fleece fabric and do the same thing with that -- hang it over the back and tuck in between.

After we return home from camping, I just throw everything in the washing machine and I'm already for the next camping trip.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
We have a large "doggy throw" that is fleece on one side, and a smooth impermeable fabric on the other. It fits on the sofa, covering the entire length from the refrig. wall to the dinette, and tucks into the seat so that all surfaces are covered, as Yukionna describes. (We have the 25' front bedroom plan, which has a long sofa that becomes part of the dinette seating...) I found it at Costco for under $30.
Our dogs have the run of the "real" house but know that this throw or the floor are their only options in the trailer. We were very strict from the moment we introduced them to their new den and so far so good. We have two Norfolks and a mix, and terriers aren't known for their laid-back attitudes, but this seems to work.
As for the screens? Plastic sheilds might be the way to go. Maybe something removeable that you only put in place when your leaving them on their own for awhile?
Best of luck. You have two adorable cuties, and their new travel abode will be gorgeous.
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
We have vinyl that we keep on the couch,(easy to remove when visitors show up. I hemmed a corner in on the top and it drapes over the back and stays put. We have polar fleece that covers the bedspread. Our dogs have never pushed on the window screens. For the front door screen, if we are leaving them inside while we tour airstreams we put a bungee cord on the door handle and run it to the faucet so they can't push it open.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote