Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2007, 10:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Kansas City , Missouri
Daughter needs a dog

Hi folks,
We are on the road for the year with our seven-year old daughter. Currently, we are in Cody, Wyoming and heading northwest towards Calgary then to Vancouver and down the coast.

We promised to find our girl a dog before her birthday next month. My husband and I are in favor of rescuing a mutt, but she'd like a Yorkie or similar terrier.

Anybody know of any small dog in need of a loving child's arms? Or any breeders out there of small terriers?

Kelli
blogging on the road:
watch and learn
lyrikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Pick Me !

Best dogs, and a few cats, I have had thru life have come from shelters...
or what we called the 'dog pound'

Be carful though...can be addictive.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
We bought our son a Boston Terrier. They are small, compact, and loving dogs that have quite a bit of longevity to them.

Steve
Old 08-23-2007, 11:23 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Try petfinder.com for the area you are in. Many shelters list their dogs on there. You might get lucky and find just the dog she wants, or at least find one that melts your heart...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
We picked up a Wire Fox Terrier pup last Saturday from a Terrier rescue. Katie's about 4 months old and a real sweetie. Send me a PM if you are interested in a WFT.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:14 AM   #6
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Couple of things to remember. In an Airstream, size matters. When selecting a pup from a shelter you need to be careful. That cute little pup may grow up to be part Labrador Retriever! Grooming will be an issue on the road. Are you up to the task? We have a Cocker Spaniel pure bred and he was so terrified of the clippers that we had groomers that charged from $10-$20 extra because he squirmed and howled so much. I tried to get him used to them by rubbing him with the one I use to trim my beard and you would have thought I was torturing the poor thing. He finally outgrew it and we found a great groomer that knew how to manage him, but I would not have been able to groom him myself.

I don't know how often Yorkies need to be groomed, but you might be able to lead her to a short haired breed. Just be aware that Beagles and Parsons Terriers (formerly Jack Russel Terriers) require a lot of exercise or they will get board and find ways to entertain themselves when left alone...distructive ways, nuff said. Most of the terriers are going to need an active lifestyle.

We had a wonderful four legged member of our family for nearly 15 years that we rescued from a local shelter. When he passed it was very hard on me cause we had bonded so tightly. We chose a pure bred Cocker this time so we would know exactly what we were getting in terms of size, aesthetics, temperament, and grooming. Things that can be a gamble with a mixed breed, even though the temperament can be a gamble with any dog regardless of breeding.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:31 AM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
If all goes right this little guy will be our our next companion. We are talking to the pet shelter folks this weekend. He's about 9 lbs., about a year and a half old.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MO64.9043887-1-x[1].jpg
Views:	138
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	43734  
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:50 AM   #8
LookingThroughALens

1976 Argosy 24
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
That cute little pup may grow up to be part Labrador Retriever!

Just be aware that Beagles and Parsons Terriers (formerly Jack Russel Terriers) require a lot of exercise or they will get board and find ways to entertain themselves when left alone...distructive ways, nuff said.
This hits close to home for us. One of the main reasons we decided to get a travel trailer is to be able to take our dogs with us when we travel. We have 2 "pound puppies" and one give-away. The pound puppies are small (50lb) lab mixes. The give-away is a beagle / jack russel mix. I will agree that the beagle / jack russel is VERY active, even at almost 3 yrs old. She can also be quite destructive if she is bored and doesn't like picking on her toys anymore [note - most have no stuffing]. The labs do create a trip over issue in the 24' trailer but they are very calm and great companions for walking in parks.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:51 AM   #9
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Couple of years ago, Grandpa sprung for $300.00 and bought my grandchildren a Yorkie. Cute little dog. Problem because he was so small and they were too rough with him. He started nipping and it got to be a serious matter. Now I really don't blame the dog too much. The kids play rough. He just couldn't handle it.

The end of the story was he was adopted by an older couple who already had one Yorkie and no children. Course the children went through the usual crying and missing him. Those kids are a rough pair though!

You need a dog that is at least calm enough and large enough to handle little kids.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:08 AM   #10
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Cooperhawk is right. One of the chores I had when we got our newest addition to our family was to "teach" our kids how to play with a puppy. This current puppy has a dominant "personality". He doesn't like being at the bottom of the pack's ladder and often tried to "dominate" my younger son. It took quiet a lot of monitoring their activities to ensure that my younger son interacted correctly with the dog and that the dog interacted correctly with him. Neutering helped, but he still tries to "ride" my son on occasion even at two years old (18 mos. after being neutered).

Our other dog of nearly 15 years had a submissive personality and was quiet happy in his place in the pack. He was established in his routine and was too old to play with the kids so he pretty much did his thing and they did their's. But when we got the new puppy, it was a different story. We watched lots of episodes of "The Dog Whisperer" because my wife and I had to learn to be dog owners all over again.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-24-2007, 09:24 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Hi from Ga... I'm not going to presume to lecture you, as some have. You have probably thought this out. Only thing I would add is....No Chihuahuas if your smart. Bad traveling dogs. She has to leave hers' at the pet motel when we hit the road (nobody else will keep him). Don't get me wrong, I LIKE dogs, really ! Regards, Craig
Seahawk09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:36 AM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
We watched lots of episodes of "The Dog Whisperer" because my wife and I had to learn to be dog owners all over again.
My son has done the same and used the techniques he learned from watching. It works. They key is for you to become the "alpha dog" or for all intents the pack leader. He had a rabbit's nest in his back yard and Lucy, a Brittney Spaniel, Beagle mix was quite interested in that nest. John did the noise that Cesar does and Lucy backed off the nest. After a few corrections, Lucy pretty much ignored the nest and they coexisted until the rabbits grew up and left.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:52 AM   #13
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Caesar Milan really knows his stuff. Our current Cocker used to go to the front door and look out the side light and bark at any activity he saw. My wife and I started going to the door and standing in front of it face-to-face with our Sulley. He would eventually back off and leave the foyer. We called it "taking the door away" from him. It took doing this a week or so and eventually all we had to do was tell him "no" and he would come away.

One amusing thing is that we started using a new groomer when Sulley was a year old. She used to show Cocker Spaniels and one of her Cockers is featured on one of the postage stamps and has appeared on many magazine covers. He is beautiful and has a skirt that reaches the floor. When I dropped him off she told me, "You know Cockers don't fully get their brains until they're two years old, don't you?" I couldn't help but laugh because we had just returned from a camping trip where we had been sitting under the awning when it began to rain. Sulley was standing out from under the awning trying to figure out where all the water was coming from. I was pulling on his leash but he wouldn't budge...that's right, he didn't have the sense to come in out of the rain! Now that he is two (this coming Monday actually) he has got his common sense and minds so much better.

Below is his picture at a rally in Florida in January.
Attached Images

WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-24-2007, 11:27 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
I would not recommend a chihuahua. Not because they don't travel well ( I have had Chihuahuas my entire life and except for one of them, they have all traveled just fine ), but because of the size/ fragility issue - they can be hurt awfully easy. And a lot of Chihuahuas don't have a temperment that meshes well w/ children.

Karol
campngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:54 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Try petfinder.com for the area you are in. Many shelters list their dogs on there. You might get lucky and find just the dog she wants, or at least find one that melts your heart...
I agree, petfinder.com can be a good way to go. I have more than one friend who has used it and found new pets that way. Many of the rescuers are careful to list the dog's temperment and frankly would not let you have it unless it can handle children.

The only problem is that there will be many that will "melt your heart." I know one family that adopted two dogs at the same time. How big is your airstream again?
Mrs_RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #16
_

. , .
naturally,

i question the basic premise of this thread...

that any 7 or 8 year old needs a dog.

gotta keep in mind however the message in your first post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikel
...We are embarking on a long journey to see North America with our little girl...
We are complete novices which may be the best way to start--...
So don't tell us about the bad stuff until we ask
having a dog is a full family thing...

when did your family last have a dog?

how'd that go?

as brand new full timers living in a small brand new airstream/suv,

travel with pets requires additional planning and space.

with no regular vet or regular location or regular dog routines...

even adults new2theroad would have some issues adopting a new dog or pup while in route...

like completing a vaccine routine while traveling?
are you gonna carry a crate?
keep the dog leashed 24/7?
enjoy poop, urine or vomit occasionally in the trailer or suv ?

where does the dog stay when you are sight seeing or in for repairs?

going into canada with this dog soon?

almost no terrier breed is well matched to small children...

the boston t. is an exception to this well respected premise but then again...

bostons aren't really 'terrier' brained anyway...

somewhat closer in disposition to french bull dogs or pugs on caffeine...

in the 'dogs without snouts' class.

those of us that do travel with pets may love it and many have an rv just so the dogs can go too...

but your daughter might do better with a bug collection, or stamps or a bicycle or chia pet or bonsai or heaven forbid books?

otoh i guess it's a good thing you didn't promise her a pony...

just another view.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:09 PM   #17
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
2air' makes some very good points. To travel with a pet makes things alot more complicated then without. When you are traveling now, think about all the things you are doing and all the places you visit and then put a dog into the picture. Where will the dog be when you go out to dinner? What if you want to visit a national park and do a walking tour?

We have 3 dogs that we travel with. We have to plan around what they will be doing as well as what we will be doing. It works for us, but it is not as easy as it sounds. We will be headed to the balloon rally in October and will most likely not bring the dogs on this trip. BTW, it is not easy to find someone to sit for 3 dogs.

When we first got Gracie our Yellow Lab, she would throw up once every 50 miles. The good news is she grew out of it. These things need to be considered before you get a dog.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:51 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Kansas City , Missouri
You all wow me with your considerate and sometimes elaborate replies. thank you so much. Many good points and recommendations and a few cute attached photos of your own dogs!

I don't want to get a dog , it's just that our daughter begs us. And her being the only child on this trip it does seem a reasonable request. We will keep the option open as we travel. If the right dog comes along, then we'll act.

Our Airstream is a 27ft FB International, and yes, we plan a tour through Canada, so getting a dog would need to wait till we cross back over to U.S.

Once again, thank you all.
k.watch and learn

lyrikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:21 PM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Why would dogs be unwelcome in Canada? I here there are lots of dogs up north too

Last I heard dogs could cross the border with proof of vaccinations.

You might enjoy this bog Full Hook Ups

These folks are fulltiming and picked up a companion en-route.

Of course, sometimes I go camping just to get away from the dogs - and leave them at home!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikel
I don't want to get a dog , it's just that our daughter begs us.

This says it all to me. Your daughter isn't old enough to accept the full responsibility of dog ownership. This dog will become your responsibility whether you want it or not. If you've never had a dog before, are you prepared for all that comes with owning a puppy, or even full grown dog? Keep in mind a dog is still a puppy for at least three years, depending on the breed. Being fully grown is no indication of maturity and steady temperment. Before doing anything, I recommend you get a copy of Ian Dunbar's "Before and After Getting Your Puppy". It will offer aglimpse of what you will be in for.

I don't mean to be short, but I've seen too many dogs end up in shelters because parents have given into the whims of their children.

Please have a look at this and read the articles:

Pet Dog Care: A Dog Owner Guide to Taking Care of New Dogs or Puppies
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote