Old 08-24-2007, 01:54 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Try petfinder.com for the area you are in. Many shelters list their dogs on there. You might get lucky and find just the dog she wants, or at least find one that melts your heart...
I agree, petfinder.com can be a good way to go. I have more than one friend who has used it and found new pets that way. Many of the rescuers are careful to list the dog's temperment and frankly would not let you have it unless it can handle children.

The only problem is that there will be many that will "melt your heart." I know one family that adopted two dogs at the same time. How big is your airstream again?

Old 08-24-2007, 03:32 PM   #16
_

. , .
naturally,

i question the basic premise of this thread...

that any 7 or 8 year old needs a dog.

gotta keep in mind however the message in your first post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikel
...We are embarking on a long journey to see North America with our little girl...
We are complete novices which may be the best way to start--...
So don't tell us about the bad stuff until we ask
having a dog is a full family thing...

when did your family last have a dog?

how'd that go?

as brand new full timers living in a small brand new airstream/suv,

travel with pets requires additional planning and space.

with no regular vet or regular location or regular dog routines...

even adults new2theroad would have some issues adopting a new dog or pup while in route...

like completing a vaccine routine while traveling?
are you gonna carry a crate?
keep the dog leashed 24/7?
enjoy poop, urine or vomit occasionally in the trailer or suv ?

where does the dog stay when you are sight seeing or in for repairs?

going into canada with this dog soon?

almost no terrier breed is well matched to small children...

the boston t. is an exception to this well respected premise but then again...

bostons aren't really 'terrier' brained anyway...

somewhat closer in disposition to french bull dogs or pugs on caffeine...

in the 'dogs without snouts' class.

those of us that do travel with pets may love it and many have an rv just so the dogs can go too...

but your daughter might do better with a bug collection, or stamps or a bicycle or chia pet or bonsai or heaven forbid books?

otoh i guess it's a good thing you didn't promise her a pony...

just another view.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:09 PM   #17
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
2air' makes some very good points. To travel with a pet makes things alot more complicated then without. When you are traveling now, think about all the things you are doing and all the places you visit and then put a dog into the picture. Where will the dog be when you go out to dinner? What if you want to visit a national park and do a walking tour?

We have 3 dogs that we travel with. We have to plan around what they will be doing as well as what we will be doing. It works for us, but it is not as easy as it sounds. We will be headed to the balloon rally in October and will most likely not bring the dogs on this trip. BTW, it is not easy to find someone to sit for 3 dogs.

When we first got Gracie our Yellow Lab, she would throw up once every 50 miles. The good news is she grew out of it. These things need to be considered before you get a dog.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:51 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Kansas City , Missouri
You all wow me with your considerate and sometimes elaborate replies. thank you so much. Many good points and recommendations and a few cute attached photos of your own dogs!

I don't want to get a dog , it's just that our daughter begs us. And her being the only child on this trip it does seem a reasonable request. We will keep the option open as we travel. If the right dog comes along, then we'll act.

Our Airstream is a 27ft FB International, and yes, we plan a tour through Canada, so getting a dog would need to wait till we cross back over to U.S.

Once again, thank you all.
k.watch and learn

Old 08-25-2007, 07:21 PM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Why would dogs be unwelcome in Canada? I here there are lots of dogs up north too

Last I heard dogs could cross the border with proof of vaccinations.

You might enjoy this bog Full Hook Ups

These folks are fulltiming and picked up a companion en-route.

Of course, sometimes I go camping just to get away from the dogs - and leave them at home!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikel
I don't want to get a dog , it's just that our daughter begs us.

This says it all to me. Your daughter isn't old enough to accept the full responsibility of dog ownership. This dog will become your responsibility whether you want it or not. If you've never had a dog before, are you prepared for all that comes with owning a puppy, or even full grown dog? Keep in mind a dog is still a puppy for at least three years, depending on the breed. Being fully grown is no indication of maturity and steady temperment. Before doing anything, I recommend you get a copy of Ian Dunbar's "Before and After Getting Your Puppy". It will offer aglimpse of what you will be in for.

I don't mean to be short, but I've seen too many dogs end up in shelters because parents have given into the whims of their children.

Please have a look at this and read the articles:

Pet Dog Care: A Dog Owner Guide to Taking Care of New Dogs or Puppies
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Why would dogs be unwelcome in Canada? I here there are lots of dogs up north too

Last I heard dogs could cross the border with proof of vaccinations.
This is correct. All that is needed is an up to date vaccination certificate. My Samm came to me from Kansas and this is all that was required.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:38 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
dogs and airstreams

we often call our AS the Dog's house! since they enjoy it as much as we do and sometimes spend more time in it than us. They stay and guard it if we go sightseeing where they're not welcome.

We go everywhere with them, Canada included every year. Never a problem, just bring their vaccinations and show them IF they ask...it happened only once in 4 years..

Our boy is a purebred Siberian husky not from a breeder but yes the pound. It is full of purebreds that people buy emotionally and then realize what they got themselves into. Our little girl is a heinz 57 best breed in the world!

Good luck in your dog search and please, please do not get a dog that come s from a puppy mill. Stores and non reliable breeders are filled with them. Buying one only encourages this disgraceful and inhumane practice.

Petfinder is great but why not make it exciting for your little girl and check the local shelters and rescues of every town you visitsooner or later you're bound to meet your new family member...it may not look anything like a yorkie after all.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:46 AM   #23

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMILI
Petfinder is great but why not make it exciting for your little girl and check the local shelters and rescues of every town you visitsooner or later you're bound to meet your new family member...it may not look anything like a yorkie after all.
I don't know about normal people, but I can't go into a shelter without taking something fuzzy home! I avoid them at all costs!

I must admit I agree with the warnings about getting a puppy, I'd look for an older 'second-hand pet' from a shelter or rescue. They can often help you match up with the pet's personality, and you'll miss all that annoying puppy behaviour! Our pooch is my precious best friend now, but 12 years ago she was a little hellion that nearly drove us over the edge! Luckily she grew out of that - when she was three!

Something a little more mellow might make a better travelling companion.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #24
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Anyone that has not owned a dog before should watch "The Dog Whisperer" for a month or buy Cesar's videos and watch them to see what you can get into if you don't raise the dog properly. (Cesar Millan - Products) It's a real eye opener, but then again his videos and shows can really give you some insights into dog behavior and why dogs do the things they do. And, nearly all undesirable behavior can be corrected with proper exercise and adequate physical activity. (they act out of boredom and frustration) This is especially crucial during the puppy years. Can you give this to a puppy and young adult dog while living a vagabond life-style?

Cesar often talks about a dog's teen-age phase and it is just as rebellious as a human's teen-age phase. Good luck with your decision.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote