Old 12-28-2004, 10:12 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

One I've used....

though not on a cat as that problem hasn't come up as of yet, is "mouse traps". A few dry set (no bait) on top of the tanks should cure curiosity through noise or a good slap on the paw.

I had to use this technique on or large breed pups as they would come in the house and jump to the counter with their front paws. Not a big deal as a newspaper and a stern NO would work, BUT, they would do this at the GAS stove, inadvertently turning the gas on! A few well placed mouse traps cured that in a few days.

Oscar

Old 12-28-2004, 10:51 AM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Good idea with the mouse traps. They even make modified mouse traps with a plastic flapper on them that are supposed to scare the pets without any possibility of catching toes.

Hopefully you just have a bad cat in the neighborhood. So are you moving to Santa Barbara permanently?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:37 AM   #17
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
cat a pult

jill

if you need to relieve cat related stress try this game.

http://www.arcadetown.com/catapult/playgame.asp

please read the warning before playing it!

john
Old 12-28-2004, 11:50 AM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
OMG!! That is one funny game!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 12:00 PM   #19
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i'm not gonna post the link for "cat skeet" i'll let you folks google that one for yourselves!

i found my neighborhood cats respond best to the hose when on the roof of the excella!

john
Old 12-28-2004, 12:02 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
PM it to me!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 12-28-2004, 07:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Asked last week about where to get the "Coating" to strip and respray a panel because of 'to the metal scratch'. Andy, of Inland, informed us that you can't get the coating, even Airstream can't get the coating. I guess as the scratch turns into a boil you must replace the panel. That just dosen't seem right.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:11 PM   #22
Creampuff

1957 22' Flying Cloud
1971 31' Sovereign
1976 29' Ambassador
Malibu , California
There is a repellant called "Boundary"(available at pet stores) which I use for my dog who loves to "mark' his territory. It works well for 1-2 days and says it will work for cats. I would try it on the ground as a perimeter as opposed to the trailer as the ingredients look a liitle nasty for clear-coats.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 08:35 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
!#@%$*^ cats!

Greetings Jill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by halobender
Thank you all. I tried opening the - I get confused about terminology (stone shield or rock guard) - "black window cover" so it is not possible to jump from tank cover to roof. That cat sure did leave a lot of scratches on it, though. Is this possible to polish this out at all? There is about a 7" diameter mess of scratches right in the middle and one distinct, deep scratch to the right (one paw = four long scratches).
- Jill
A product that I have used to minimize similar scratches in the acrylic rear windows in my vintage convertibles may also work on the front rock guards on our coaches (I haven't tried this yet on my Minuet's new rock guard). The product is called PLEXUS AIRCRAFT PLASTIC CLEANER, PROTECTANT & POLISH, and my experience has been that it greatly minimizes such scratches in the acrylic rear windows in my convertibles but does not always remove the the deeper scratches. I did a quick search and found that the product is offered by AircraftSpruce.com.

Good luck with finding solutions to your stray animal problems!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 09:50 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Light aircraft windows are plexiglass. There are numerous products for them on the Web. A number of years ago I used Novus Polish with good results.

http://www.novuspolish.com/

Larry Ruebel
Bismarck ND
Old 12-29-2004, 02:21 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Wax? Clear Finger Nail Polish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf
Asked last week about where to get the "Coating" to strip and respray a panel because of 'to the metal scratch'. Andy, of Inland, informed us that you can't get the coating, even Airstream can't get the coating. I guess as the scratch turns into a boil you must replace the panel. That just dosen't seem right.
I'd try a basic car wax like Turtle Wax for clearcoat - one with no abrasives in it. That may minimize the scratch and will surely protect it from further corrosion. Try it over a very small area and if it helps, continue. You might have to re-wax the scratch every time you wash your A/S, but sooner or later we're all going to get a patina of scratches.

If Andy at Inland or anyone else has a scrap piece of the new style aluminum that has been replaced it might be interesting to try various repairs on it. Maybe it can't be made perfect, but I'll bet something fairly simple will do a passable job. It might be as simple as using a tiny amount of lacquer thinner or acetone (fingernail polish remover) on a camel hair brush to touch the edges of the scratch. If the coating softens slightly it may "heal" itself. Off the top of my "girlie fix" list, I'd try clear finger nail polish - or even super glue - though you get just one chance with either. If I were to try an automobile clearcoat spray, I wouldn't strip the whole panel. I'd mask very close to the scratch and spray it on that area very lightly. (PS, on metal you can mask with blank newsprint paper. Lay it on the metal, pat it down with a towel - let it dry - it will stick until you peel it off - unlike masking tape, newsprint won't pull off clearcoat or paint. )

I used clear finger nail polish recently to fix a stone chip on my hood (the front bumper needs to be completely repainted so I tested it there) The chip was very small and only affected the clearcoat, so I put one drop of clear polish in the center - and even I can't find it now. Of course in a year or two it may fail or yellow in the sun, but I'm sure I'll take a few more dings during that time.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:09 PM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf
As far as I know, that is not totally correct. True you cannot get the actual Alcoa finish re-applied, however it can be re-clear coated. If anyone told you it couldn't, you were mis-informed, it can and it there are places that do strip and recoat the exteriors.

...and by the way...without question...DO NOT use regular car wax on your late 1999 through current model year Airstream. Most of those waxes contain petroleum distillates, which can eventually ruin the exterior. The ONLY wax one should apply is Walburnize. The dealers know it, the factory suggests it and most of the folks here use it. Don't put anything that contains petro distillates on the exterior of your coach.

I also would not put nail polish, super glue or other items on the finish. Use what is recommened, not what has been suggested. Additionally, what one puts on the rock guards should be vastly different that what you put on the finish. The rock guards are stainless steel (I believe uncoated). The actual outer (and inner exposed on the CCD) skins is Alcoa coated Alum. As Elmer Fudd would say...be vewy, vewy carefuwl (what you place on the exterior finish).
Old 01-04-2005, 10:29 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Good idea with the mouse traps. They even make modified mouse traps with a plastic flapper on them that are supposed to scare the pets without any possibility of catching toes.

Hopefully you just have a bad cat in the neighborhood. So are you moving to Santa Barbara permanently?
I too like the mouse trap idea. I'll pick some traps up in case it's an issue again in the new locale. I've only seen one loose cat in the park so far.

I'm in the Santa Barbara area for a year now. It seemed that the typical Oregon weather preceded me, as it was cold and wet, REALLY wet, for the first week - but clear, sunny and warm today. We timed the trip south nicely and made it over Shasta with clear skies (see photos below). The rest of the trip seemed to be a constant downpour. I found a park 30 miles north of my new job and they have long-term spaces that aren't too expensive. Yippee! The Labrador and I are settled in, a bit snugly albeit, in the new trailer, but it seems to be working ok. Since Iím not on the road, I was able to pack most of the comforts of home.

Thank you again to all who offered advice for cat deterrents and repair of damage done.

- Jill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shasta.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	9981   Click image for larger version

Name:	pit_stop.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	9982  

Click image for larger version

Name:	typical.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	9983  
Old 01-05-2005, 09:01 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Me too

I had a neighbor cat claw it's way up the street side of my '03 SS and slide down the front curb side....leaving deep scratches in the coating. Because the coach was parked within a foot of the 6' privacy fence, all it had to do was get to the nearest 4x4 post to launch from. I solved the problem by putting pidgeon spikes on the tops of the 4x4's but have no way of fixing the damage. I seem to be plagued by cat damage...had similar damage to a new, dark blue/black BMW M3 fifteen years ago while no other neighbor cars had any traces??? My kids have been asking to get cats for years...wonder why I say no. Oh well.