Old 06-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Originally Posted by 2005 ford View Post
Why do cat owners think it's OK to let their animals roam loose? Cats kill too, lots of song birds and small critters. We used to have bird feeders and we stopped feeding the birds because we were finding too many dead birds under the feeders from the neighbor hood cats. IMHO pets should be under the control of their owners at all times.
Sometimes the tables turns the other way. We have hawks nesting in a tall pine tree in our yard. The little ones fledged this week. The parents have been busy bring food. The neighborhood cat is missing.

We have coyotes in the area too, but I have not seen or heard one near my house. I friend that lives several miles away told me there was a coyote den on their property. When they discovered it there were several pet collars inside and in the immediate area of the den.

2014 Silverado 1500 5.3L maximum trailering package (yes, I'm towing the 34')
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Most times we have a problem with a dog running loose while at a campground it is either the campground owners dog or one of the employees. They also do not clean up after their dogs as the campers are required to do. Frustrating, jim
I had that problem this weekend - I stepped out of the camper to see a dog wandering around our site. Now, I love dogs and cats (we travel with our cat), but it's a bit unnerving to see a dog wandering around - and I don't want him spooking our cat, either. I asked the neighbors across the street if the dog was theirs, and they said it was the camper next to ours that had pulled in an hour or two before. There's no one outside that camper.

A few minutes later, someone did come out of that camper, and I said, "Hey, your dog is over here," thinking he'd be happy to know where his dog is. His reply: "Is that a problem?"

I was floored. I said, "Well, I just worry about them." I meant for the dog's safety. Meanwhile, I noticed a few deposits on our site that I'm pretty sure weren't there before. Gee thanks.

We didn't see the dog again all weekend. I'm okay with dogs, you can have him outside, and I don't even care if they're not on a leash as long as they are on your site and well behaved enough to stay there, but...sheesh.

1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Windermere , Florida
Cats are very territorial. How do your 4 get along? Do they spray, even neutered cats wi spary when housed with too many cats? I love cats, like a crazy cat lady and I would suggest trying to find homes for 2 of them. You could wait till you found great homes for them. But cats have needs and what you are describing is like keeping 4 horses on a half acre. Maybe you could make it work with a schedule of outside time in a screen poarch with secure/supervision so nothing eats them. Also try to create high nooks for them to get into, in your AS.
407EBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I am down to one neutered tabbie...after him thats all I can do for the cats...I sure love em tho. Mine (Randee) sleeps at my feet each night next to the laptop. He had come down with arthritis in his front right leg, and I found out that human form powdered glucosamine (sp) will stop the pain with in a couple of days. What a relief.
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:11 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
Just to update, all four kitties have been quite happy for 2 1/2 years of trailer living! But two of my cats are VERY outdoor motivated, so they do spend time outdoors. They did just fine in the campground. I would let two out for supervised periods of time as long as the sites next to us were not filled. They tended to stay in the site, and I never saw them try to approach any other sites. I valued the comments about pets in campgrounds, it really helped me to understand what others might think. I would repeat the campground hosting again, in the right campground, with the kitties. Although, ideally, I would like to build a portable cat run / house / play pen. Luckily, this year, we are parked on a private piece of land that is very cat friendly.

Only one of my cats has ever sprayed, but he had a bad habit of spraying long before we moved in the trailer. These days, Its a once every six months type of deal, letting him outside to play seems to really prevent the issue. I really believe adopting an animal is like having a child, you don't just find them new home when your life changes, you figure out how to make it work.
StreamlineAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member
1966 26' Overlander
seattle , Washington
Very good so many people think they can just do thier cats when they change housing and I never understood how any pet owner doesn't get it's a life commitment not just at your convenience! I live in my 66 Overlander with a dog and my cat Ocho Laredo and he loves his airstream and spends a lot of time in it! Pets are the best of friends!
Peace surlyhobohemian Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1416156142.532689.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	696.6 KB
ID:	226677
VagabondWays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member
2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Originally Posted by StreamlineAK View Post
I have ideas of an outdoor mesh tent room for the cats, like one you put over a table. Anyone have experience with any of this?
I had an indoor cat and used this tent in the patio. The cat didn't like it much, but would put up with it. It was solid and I doubt a coyote would be able to get through the mesh (although I wouldn't bet on it). : ABO Gear Happy Habitat for Indoor Cats : Outdoor Pet Pens : Pet Supplies

Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote