Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2006, 08:36 AM   #1
New Member
Saint Charles , Illinois
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3
Be careful what your dog gets into...

We had a scare last week with our dog getting a bout of Pancreatitis after a weekend of camping in Southern Wisconsion. He was at the vet for 3 days and was really sick. The only thing we and the vet could come up with that caused it was him getting into something at the campsite. We do tend to leave them outside on their leashes while we are inside the camper. And I did remember him digging and licking something under the picnic table. We figure there must have been some spoiled food from a previous camper. Poor guy, he was so sick!

stevecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:25 AM   #2
Stefrobrts's Avatar

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 11,819
Images: 50
Blog Entries: 1
When I was a teenager we lost our boxer dog to chronic pancreatitis - the vet called it 'garbage gut'. Dogs get into everything, and I know mine eat first and ask questions later. I can't imagine leaving them out on leashes, they get into so much trouble - I can barely leave mine unsupervised in the yard! Glad to hear yours only had a mild case of it Lord only knows what a dog could find half burried under a picnic table...EWWWWWW!


Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:59 PM   #3
Remember Burma Shave!
driftwood's Avatar
2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , S.Florida
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 504
Images: 35
Exclamation Alert!

FYI ...

Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog Calypso, decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company? s website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs.

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that "It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it."

Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called "Theobromine".

It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Just a word of caution ? check what you are using in your gardens and be aware of what your gardeners are using in your gardens.

Theobromine is the ingredient that is used to make all chocolate ? especially dark or baker's chocolate ? which is toxic to dogs.

Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:08 PM   #4
Site Team
azflycaster's Avatar
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,038
Images: 62
Blog Entries: 1
Here is a link to plants that can kill your dog. We almost lost out Yellow Lab (Gracie) to a Sago Palm. I never saw anything throw up that much. She was at the vets for 3 days and alot of $$$$.


WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
LLB21's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 193
We had a small dog once. He was very sick with pancreatitis. He ended up on an IV and in intensive care.

The vet said he sees it all of the time after Thanksgiving. Turkey is very fatty for dogs.

Since then no Turkey for the dogs.
LLB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master
yukionna's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 1964 17' Bambi II
Posts: 4,278
Images: 18
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
This thread is very informative. Thanks for all the helpful information. I knew about the chocoloate toxity element but who would have thought mulch was toxic?!
WBCCI Region One

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Happycampers's Avatar
1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,651
Question Heartworm med

Hello everyone... Our Toby had a mild case of pancreatitis and the only thing the vet and us could put it down to was his Heartworm med.. vet said the flavoring the medication is put in does cause some problems with some dogs.. our dogs do not eat human food and we are very fussy about what we feed them... So we will have to try something else for the heartworm.. Toby is better thank heavens... Annie

Marvin & Annie
Niki (fur baby)
1979 Argosy 30 (Costalotta)
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dog Owners: Please Read Bambi_Bandit The Pet Forum 7 01-09-2006 01:32 PM
where do you keep the dog remcolent The Pet Forum 34 10-29-2005 02:40 PM
dog 57overlander The Pet Forum 3 10-01-2005 12:30 PM
My best friend... BobbyW Off Topic Forum 34 11-08-2004 08:08 PM
new to airstream david h Our Community 5 01-10-2003 03:26 PM

Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.