Old 03-14-2011, 05:19 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I can't stand to watch those advertisements, either. The look on those animals' faces just tears me apart.

You just have to do what you can, wherever you are.

Maggie

Old 03-15-2011, 05:24 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
I can't watch those commercials or those television shows.

I am a disabled vet, I do have a bit of a temper, seeing how terrible humans can be to our fellow man and animals makes me want to have a reaction that isnt exactly in the same catagory as getting everyone cupcakes and kittens.

This is my resident fuzz bomb:

His name is Dexter, the pic is from his 2 year birthday. (yes that is his birthday dinner on the table.)

I have raised him since he was a little 6 pound ball of fluff.

How could some one be mean to something like that?

I prefer to give him ice cream.

A few months ago a former employee cut my fence and took him out of my yard. He was gone for about 30 days. That was pretty rough, I was just so happy to get him back. The guy took him out somwheres west of town and dumped him. He found his way most of the way back until a woman found him, she put an add on craigslist and that is how I found him again.

The thing that makes me really sick about it is that I went to the local animal shelter here, I found out they give a dog 3 days and then they kill them. Its a pretty sad state of affairs if you ask me. I had nightmares that my dog had wound up in that place.

Its unfortunate and I really wish there was something I could do about it.
Mr. Beast, your furry beast is one lucky dog. Your story about him being stolen is horrifying. Poor thing (and you too). I'm glad he's back with you again, having fresh bbq and ice-cream!

Lisa

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #31

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
The thing that makes me really sick about it is that I went to the local animal shelter here, I found out they give a dog 3 days and then they kill them. Its a pretty sad state of affairs if you ask me. I had nightmares that my dog had wound up in that place.

Its unfortunate and I really wish there was something I could do about it.
How horrible! I've heard shelters down south and in the south-east are particularly bad - overcrowded, with very short window for picking your dog back up We have a lot of no-kill shelters up here in the NW, and they work together to try and pass dogs around to give them a better chance of finding homes, and pass them out to foster homes to give them a break from being in the shelter.

Your best bet is always to have your dog microchipped and currently licensed. If your dog is licensed, at least in our state, they will provide medical care if needed and hold them longer while they contact you. Same thing with the chip, if they find a microchip they'll contact you. It's not much, but it's better than nothing.

That might be something to think about if you're out travelling too - have your pet chipped and make sure the chip company has your cell phone # for contact info. If you lose your pet far from home, that might be the key to getting them back!

Glad you got your fuzzy buddy back. He's gorgeous!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #32
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
How horrible! I've heard shelters down south and in the south-east are particularly bad - overcrowded, with very short window for picking your dog back up We have a lot of no-kill shelters up here in the NW, and they work together to try and pass dogs around to give them a better chance of finding homes, and pass them out to foster homes to give them a break from being in the shelter.

Your best bet is always to have your dog microchipped and currently licensed. If your dog is licensed, at least in our state, they will provide medical care if needed and hold them longer while they contact you. Same thing with the chip, if they find a microchip they'll contact you. It's not much, but it's better than nothing.

That might be something to think about if you're out travelling too - have your pet chipped and make sure the chip company has your cell phone # for contact info. If you lose your pet far from home, that might be the key to getting them back!

Glad you got your fuzzy buddy back. He's gorgeous!
Before we hit the road we are definately going to get him chipped, and his tags do have my cell phone number on them already, the guy who took him took his collar off.

I think a lot of the issues with our shelters here being overcrowded has a lot to do with the gangster mentality we have around here, there are so many folks who go out and get dogs, expecially pitt bulls, and they will have several running around the yard, and when they become too much trouble, or they can no longer afford to feed them, they just turn them loose.

I dont know how many times being in the towing business here that I have seen a dog on a 4 foot chain locked up in some ones yard. And the police wont do anything about it, often times they will not even respond.

It makes me sick.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #33
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerama View Post
Mr. Beast, your furry beast is one lucky dog. Your story about him being stolen is horrifying. Poor thing (and you too). I'm glad he's back with you again, having fresh bbq and ice-cream!

Lisa
It was a pretty tough deal. When I found him he was so excited to see me, the guy who had him had him in this really dumpy pen, with a bunch of garbage. He jumped out of the pen, jumped up on me and made a B line for the truck like "hey buddy get me out of here!"
Old 03-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #34

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:

I dont know how many times being in the towing business here that I have seen a dog on a 4 foot chain locked up in some ones yard. And the police wont do anything about it, often times they will not even respond.

It makes me sick.
That's heartbreaking, your boy is so lucky to be home! We have the pitbull problem up here too. The shelters are full of them.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #35
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
That's heartbreaking, your boy is so lucky to be home! We have the pitbull problem up here too. The shelters are full of them.
almost every stray you see around here is a pitt mix of some kind.

I am going to be very glad to leave this place. Corpus is great if your a tourist, but not if you live here.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #36
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
almost every stray you see around here is a pitt mix of some kind.

I am going to be very glad to leave this place. Corpus is great if your a tourist, but not if you live here.
The nicer parts of town are limited, as is to be expected with a primarily blue-collar economy. But let's not forget that other oil patch cities offer a great deal less (Alice, Monahans, Odessa, etc) as Corpus Christi sits on a fine bay, is next door to the Gulf, and enjoys a summer breeze unmatched elsewhere. If one enjoys fishing there are few places on the Gulf even close to it. Cull the mixture and there are some decent trade-offs.

Not that I disagree with much of what is above. It's just better hidden in larger cities.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote