Old 01-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master

It's ironic......

A lot of people treat their dogs better than they treat their humans

Old 01-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

a word to the wise

I made the mistake of voicing my hatred for dog fighting during an
Eagles game ( The Eagles quarterback, Michael Vick, was convicted of participating in a dog fighting ring) The Eagles fans went on a 45 minute rant about redemption, and how Michael Vick was a victim of his cultural environment. With tears in their eyes, they quoted the Bible, the Coran, George Washington, Abe Lincoln, Martin Luther King, JFK, and get this...... OPRAH!!!!!!! I guess I should be ashamed of myself for judging the poor guy, who is clearly sorry for getting caught. I am working on that.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Shame on you, Dave, for even inadvertently taking on OPRAH!!!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #18
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
We have adopted dogs and cats from the SPCA, and in fact a nice calico cat is sleeping on the sofa back right behind me now, that came from them.

However, my support for them stopped the instant I learned that they were contributing money to political campaigns! In particular liberal causes.

Sorry, I'm done!

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
I'm OK, You're OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
I made the mistake of voicing my hatred for dog fighting during an
Eagles game ( The Eagles quarterback, Michael Vick, was convicted of participating in a dog fighting ring) The Eagles fans went on a 45 minute rant about redemption, and how Michael Vick was a victim of his cultural environment. With tears in their eyes, they quoted the Bible, the Coran, George Washington, Abe Lincoln, Martin Luther King, JFK, and get this...... OPRAH!!!!!!! I guess I should be ashamed of myself for judging the poor guy, who is clearly sorry for getting caught. I am working on that.
Not new in history - unbolting basic moral value from the foundation lets it float. Then, in search of some bearings, what follows is predictable....

Moral Equivalence
Moral Relativism
Cultural Relativism

Those who chose to ground their moral compass are bigoted and judgmental.
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
I have been involved in animal rescue my entire life, but in the past eight years with a specific breed rescue. I had been fully involved- fostering, fundraising, transporting, evaluating, shelter pulls, home visits, vetting etc etc. until a few years ago. I needed to take a break from some of it b/c it was making me really hate people.
My advice would be to start small. Donate money. Help with fundraising, paperwork, sitting at booths to hand out pamphlets, talk to people. If it's horses and there's a stable where they work on them for rehab, clean stalls, feed and water, etc. If you can't physically be with the animals then don't. There are things to do that won't be as hard. Transports are always needed. There are online lists that you can join. Yahoo groups has many.
Rae

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfoxrae View Post
If it's horses and there's a stable where they work on them for rehab, clean stalls, feed and water, etc. If you can't physically be with the animals then don't. There are things to do that won't be as hard.
Rae
My wife volunteers at Horse and Buddy - it is a wonderful program for the kids but also helps out a horse or two. Older, slower, even lame horses get a new lease on life as those are what they are looking for. And like you say, the stable always needs help of some sort.
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #22
Rivet Master

I'm not as smart as I look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward View Post
Not new in history - unbolting basic moral value from the foundation lets it float. Then, in search of some bearings, what follows is predictable....

Moral Equivalence
Moral Relativism
Cultural Relativism

Those who chose to ground their moral compass are bigoted and judgmental.
Did you blast me, or did you agree with me, or neither?????
Old 01-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I've given to animal rescue operations on a regular basis. However, those ads are a complete turn off and I no longer support that organization. As a former ad guy, I can tell you that ads trying to make you feel guilty are not real effective. Showing the joy those animals might bring to a new owner would be a far better way to tug on your purse strings. BTW, I'm with Cooperhawk on this one as it is another reason to support local shelters instead of the national one.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Erin , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
We just adopted Sadee from the National Mill Dog Rescue organization. She is a 7 year old mama that is SO SWEET and a great buddy for Bette...it just breaks my heart to imagine what her life has been like up until now...no more, she has found her forever home!

Shari
Hi Shari,

Just came across this thread and your comments and photos. We had two Bostons-Xena and Pepper. We lost Pepper at 10 years old, 4 years ago on my birthday(we toast him and me on that day, to remember him with love and good memories). Xena was gone just less than 2 years later at 12.

They were wonderful, quirky little dogs!! We think of them often. It made me smile to see the photos of your two, thanks for sharing.

Bettina
Old 01-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Erin , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Even little things help. Discourage people from buying cats and dogs from pet stores, as these are most often obtained from mills or other unethical breeders. Encourage adopting from local shelters or rescue organizations. Don't support pet stores that sell cats and dogs by purchasing food or supplies from them. Hit the unethical breeders where it matters to them most, their wallets. Every purchase from an unethical breeder or pet store means one more dog in a shelter who goes without a home.

That is excellent advice-all of it. I am amazed at how many people still don't realize that pretty much 100 percent of puppies in pet stores are "puppy mill" puppies-that the mothers have a life of misery and neglect. The parents are NEVER tested for congenital health problems, not socialized, etc. People get these puppies, that then have either major or minor($$$$) health issues, behavioral problems etc. New owner can't cope or afford and surrenders dog and on and on....even if a petstore puppy ends up being healthy, it is simply unethical, the way puppies and other pets are being brokered and "farmed".

An ethical breeder is there for the owner and puppy, for the lifetime of that individual dog. VERY few people should be breeding dogs and sadly, alot of people don't deserve dogs or pets of any kind.

Like many of you, I find these ads /TV shows like "Animal Cops", difficult to watch. I cry through them-but it also reminds me that I have to try, even in some small way to make a difference. Educating even one person about why not to buy from a petstore etc. Donating whatever $ or time I have when possible. Sorry to go on......sensitive topic for many of us I think.

Bettina
Old 01-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #26
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
It really is a rough world out there. My Son's marriage broke up and his childrens two cats had to find new homes. I found a farmer who would take them, but they ran away. I found one of them and found another very good home for it, but I fear the other is probably dead.
I wanted to keep one of them here, but our resident cat would not tolerate it.

Right now the wild critters here are suffering. We have a ton of snow and just last week got a coating of ice on top of it. That means the squirrels and turkeys and such cannot get through the ice to the acorns and whatever else they live on. I am putting out a lot of feed for them as well as the deer who visit my feeders daily. I sometimes have twenty or more turkeys in my back yard.

There are a lot of things that one can do on their own. I no longer hunt, but I still want the critters to not suffer, and to survive the Winter. It will be below zero here tonight and they need the food to keep their metabolism up.

Tomorrow morning the turkeys will be roosting high up in the trees behind our house waiting for the free lunch. My Grandchildren visit and get quite a kick out of it all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkeys.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	118537  

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
Think Locally

I think a lot of people get overwhelmed because the problem is so big, and the ASPCA commercials talk about national problems. It is VERY simple. GO to your local shelter. They will get down on their knees and thank you for spending one day a month walking dogs. Or sign up for their sub list- If you want to be appreciated- walk dogs on Christmas or Thanksgiving so that the volunteers can have one day off a year. Take them your old towels and blankets to use as bedding.
When my children's center therapy dog Storm died (of old age) the kids donated all her collars, fancy winter coats, and even her carrier purse- the shelter could send home some cute stuff for the adopted dogs!
On a personal note- I think I've said this before- but I have two "death row" dogs that here too "hyoer" to be adopted. One is now a certified Search and Rescue dog, and the other is in training to be a Human Remains Evidence dog- and work with the police department. You never know what WONDERFUL dogs you're going to find at the pound. Oh, and then you have to buy and airstream so you can take them everywhere with you!
Name:   Mina & Chiyome.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  4.4 KB
Old 03-14-2011, 03:16 AM   #28
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I can't watch those commercials or those television shows.

I am a disabled vet, I do have a bit of a temper, seeing how terrible humans can be to our fellow man and animals makes me want to have a reaction that isnt exactly in the same catagory as getting everyone cupcakes and kittens.

This is my resident fuzz bomb:

His name is Dexter, the pic is from his 2 year birthday. (yes that is his birthday dinner on the table.)

I have raised him since he was a little 6 pound ball of fluff.

How could some one be mean to something like that?

I prefer to give him ice cream.

A few months ago a former employee cut my fence and took him out of my yard. He was gone for about 30 days. That was pretty rough, I was just so happy to get him back. The guy took him out somwheres west of town and dumped him. He found his way most of the way back until a woman found him, she put an add on craigslist and that is how I found him again.

The thing that makes me really sick about it is that I went to the local animal shelter here, I found out they give a dog 3 days and then they kill them. Its a pretty sad state of affairs if you ask me. I had nightmares that my dog had wound up in that place.

Its unfortunate and I really wish there was something I could do about it.