Old 06-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sonoma County , California
Anyone Traveling with Birds?

I am contemplating going full time (still need a trailer) but have 3 canaries and 1 lovebird. The canaries are simple, just need room for their cage, but Miss Loki could be problematic.... a free flighted, msichevious and willful lil' parrot who likes to find hidey holes and shred paper! She also needs regular hormone shots to help control some of her behaviors; she will get into a non stop egg laying mode, and hide out protecting her nest for months at a time.

Anyone traveling around with such a critter, and any advice? She really is my lil' buddy, but I also am not sure she would like the life style change, it might adversely affect her behavior, and that might make me an unhappy camper!

Jane

Old 07-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Currently Camping , Pennsylvania
Hey Jane,

Has Loki taken any trips with you by car before? Does she get wiggy if you move her cage to a different part of your home?

I have 2 parrots now that both travel very well. They are happy just because I am around. However, growing up I had a lovebird (male peachface) who was very attached to his territory (a spot on our kitchen table). When I moved away to college, he was beside himself. I had to leave him with my parents, in his old spot.

Since Loki is flighted, I suggest putting door beads on the Airstream entrance door, so that there's a barrier if someone accidentally opens the door while she's out. The beads work pretty well to keep them in.

You probably already know this, but be very careful if you use a catalytic heater. They have much more sensitive respiratory systems than we do. Also, keep the toilet lid down.

Let us know how everything works out!

I will be going fulltime in 9 days (though stationary for a couple months), so I am really excited to hear about other travelers with birds.

Brock

Old 07-15-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
She has only gone to the vet..... hates that, but on the way home, I think she sort of starts to get into the ride and the scenery.

Loki is a Lutino (yellow) Peach Face, and oh, yes, she gets territorial, BIG TIME! About the only behavioral problems I have with her stem from the territorial-ness; she usually only nips, but she can and will bite very hard if you invade her territory too deeply. I have a sort of birdy-backpack for trips, and I have taken her out for walks with it on occassion, usually to "break her loop" with the territory thing, and get in there to take out unhatched eggs, etc. Once again, she HATES going in there, but seems to get into the scenery after a while.

I may have to break her of the free flighted habit a bit; bird poop in an Airstream, too small a space already! Seeking out hidey-holes in the cabinets, and getting territorial. Where to put the cage? We moved 2 years ago, and it took her months and months to adjust, so not too sure how she would like a more mobile lifestyle.

Congrats on making the full time jump! I am still a ways off.... need a trailer, need a truck Perhaps in another year. What type of parrots do you have? Let me know how they adjust!

Jane
Old 07-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
I travel with birds quite a bit, usually chicken, duck or quail in the Dometic refer. I'm not sure how much they enjoy the ride, but they never complain about it.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Mick View Post
I travel with birds quite a bit, usually chicken, duck or quail in the Dometic refer. I'm not sure how much they enjoy the ride, but they never complain about it.

well, they got a nice AC going all the time...

Jane, my guess is Loki would react pretty much the same as when you moved. The inside of the Airstream is going to stay pretty much the same, just different views in the windows.

I talked to a lady who full times with macaws. She has her cages ziptied to the walls.

My dream set-up is something like a cage in the picture at the bottom of this post, something built into the cabinets at about chest/shoulder height. Really expensive! But an option for some (just not me, presently). Those were a custom order from Animal Environments. You can get them done here: Welcome to Animal Environments

What I will be putting in is some sort of bracket system like you mount a microwave, and using large travel cages. Kings makes a great aluminum one (very apropos ), and the other I am using is a fold-up YM cage (likely temporarily as it is a PITA to clean!). They're both about as big as my regular cages, but not as tall and without any legs, so they take up A LOT less room.

I have a green-cheeked conure (Beau) and a white-capped parrot (Jimmy Bullet). They are both really used to traveling. Beau has been across the country multiple times with me, both west-east and north-south. He's very gregarious and loves it. Jimmy has twice, and just kinda goes with the flow. I'll take some pics when I get things set up inside and let you know how it works out. It's all experimental so I'm sure it will get changed a bit before I find the optimal set up.

In the meantime, just keep taking her out with you so it becomes a normal thing for her. Pet shop people, bird forums online, and that sort of thing might be able to give you some more ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	custom orders (1).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	84093  
Old 07-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Oh, Loki would LOVE a cage built into a kitchen cabinet.... she's obsessed with getting into them, and it's almost impossible to get her out. I live in California, and get a little paranoid about earthquakes, so I have an eye bolt screwed into the wall, and a dog leash type clip on her cage, so it won't go flying or tumbling. That way, you can clip/unclip easily.

I'd like to take her for more walks in her birdy-backpack, but that generally involves catching her with a towel, then shoving her in there, and she HATES that. Sorry, no other way, lovebirds are very willful, stubborn, and independant, not people pleasers! It would be nice if I could just let her be a shoulder birdy outdoors, but that's definitely not safe.

I've got some time before it's really an issue, still need a trailer and a truck! Conures are very cute and personable, the ones at the pet stores are always right there charming me. White caps are mellow, like Meyers? I'm a little afraid of getting anything bigger, Loki is little, but can bite hard! (But she's really sweet, most of the time)

Jane

Old 08-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Ah, what a cutie

The cabinet cages look great. I can't wait until I can actually afford to do something like that (money is tied up with other Airstream stuff for awhile.. hee). It just seems so practical. For now though, they seem very happy in their travel cages, they're better than they were in my last apartment even. I don't have them strapped down. If I move, I will just put the cages in the truck with me. I'd miss them on the drive anyway..

Conures are very charming - they are my favorite. Beau, however, is strictly charming for me. He's my "jealous boyfriend." I think most of that is because I moved around a lot when he was growing up, so he wasn't around other people. He will talk to other people and dance with them, but he is bity and unpredictable with just about everyone but me.

My white-cap is very mellow. I've heard people compare them to Meyer's, but in my limited experience, Meyer's seem more skittish. They are related to Amazons and supposed to act similar, but not as aggressive. He is really pokey with he moves, very deliberate. Kind of snuggly, he loves his head and shoulders rubbed, does NOT want to be held though. Follows people that he likes around. LOVES playing in water and drinking hot water (....). Very trusting and gentle. He never bites unless you ignore his warning bites (he kinda hisses and lunges, but won't bite down). My friends love him, even the ones that don't like birds.

But anyway, feel free to PM me anytime with bird/Airstream questions. So far I haven't really done much different than I would in an apartment.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
You could probably build a cabinet cage pretty cheap. I think I got lucky with Loki, lovebirds sort of have a bad reputation, but she's pretty good behaviorally. Maybe someday I'll look into a White Cap or Meyer's, a mellow big bird.... I've already experienced the rambunctious lil' ones!
Old 08-07-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
A few years back, bird-flu was in the news. I recall hearing that here in Arizona and I think California, the authorities were confiscating birds at the border inspection stations. I think this was mainly intended for chickens, ducks, etc., but I would worry about pets if they decide to do this again. (Just an unrelated comment, perhaps more applicable to pet potbelly pigs these days, for swine flu...)
Old 08-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Someone else brought that up too. I guess I would have to hide her, and hope she keeps her squeeky beak shut.

My biggest concern right now is that she is very spoiled, 100% free flighted with the run of our tiny house (she's pretty good about keeping the poop contained to her area) and if we go on the move, she will more likely have to spend much of her time in her cage, which won't make her happy!

That might not be a bad thing, she is a little too spoiled, but for me, the retraining will require a lot of patience and probably taking some bites and hostility, no fun for me!

Jane
Old 08-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Another thing, I just found out a few days ago when I called with insurance questions. I have a full timers' policy with Progressive which includes injury insurance for your pet... according to the rep I spoke with, they won't cover parrots :/

On bird-flu, parrots aren't carriers, just poultry. There's not 1 documented case of it in psittacines (parrots), not like that will help much if border patrol is after you. But I've personally never had any problems with it. I've been pulled over 3 times (AZ, PA, and KS) with a bird/birds in the car and the bird has never gotten any notice (I'm not a terrible driver, really!) Besides, the bird is your personal property, a domestic pet, and you have rights.

There are a couple species (lovebird and canary aren't any of these though, so no worries for you Jane) that are illegal to own in certain states. However, if you are traveling through, you can have them with you. Quaker parakeets and Nanday conures are the only two I know of that have a ban on them.

Tennessee is the only state that bans owning a Nanday conure.

Here is a list for Quakers:
State Laws for Quaker Parakeets
Old 08-13-2009, 07:27 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
I cracked up with that line - a good laugh in the morning! wolf
Old 08-13-2009, 07:38 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
I was at the Rocky Mountain Vintage Airstream Club Rally in Laramie this past weekend and there was an attendee that had two birds (parrots?) in cages outside. She said the birds travel with her all the time and love it.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks y'all! LoKi might like travelling, but I guess my main concern has been her destructive tendancies and her obsession with getting into kitchen cabinets and lil' hidey-holes. I've been roping her in with a squirt bottle lately (she just has to see it, and she leaves whatever alone) and I guess I will have to start containing her more. But sometimes, she is awful cute when being mischevious! Also, she has been on hormone shots to stop her breeding behavior, and finding an avian vet on the road might be a trick; maybe we can stay at the KOA in Petaluma once a year, and pay a visit to her vet, and some of my old friends.