Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2018, 06:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Clinton , Louisiana
Smile Anyone travel with Parrots??

We have four parrots that will be rolling around with us. They have travel cages and larger for camp set ups. Just wondering if anyone else besides us will have a flock in tow. What suggestions would you give to a new camper with birds?

www.sweetadelida.com
Adinafloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:00 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Clinton , Louisiana
I should note that I have two african greys, an eclectus, and an amazon. All are well traveled (they go where we go) and love it. Their comfort is always above ours. I have never had them in a camper though. They are extremely well cared for and loved. Basically, spoiled, they are spoiled...lol.

www.sweetadelida.com
Adinafloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
Elliot/Barbara

Airstream - Other
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Fort Collins , Colorado
Talking Beware going to Canada

We travel with a small White Capped Pionus parrot and he loves it! Always happy to get into his travel cage to enjoy new scenery. The only negative is likes his cage to be on our dinette which cuts our eating space about in half.

As to Canada, you need a Sites Permit to bring parrots back into the USA and that is no simple procedure. You can take parrots into Canada, but without a Sites Permit you cannot bring them back. You face fines of thousands of dollars and execution of the bird. They are reportedly a carrier of Avian Flu.

We made it twice unknowingly, but got caught the third time. Fortunately we got off OK, but we were damn lucky.

I wrote an article about this for our Airstream newsletter and would be happy to share it.
ElliotA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Omaha , Nebraska
Traveling with our Sun Conure Lola

We take our Sun Conure on the road with us in our Nest trailer. Airstream did a story about us:

https://www.airstream.com/blog/road-roost/
Beboplu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
...and you're worried about my generator noise?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
I plan on camping with my chickens!
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:50 PM   #7

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Davis , California
We travel with our African Grey. She loves it! We actually just traded in our 25 foot Flying Cloud for the 27 foot TB for one big reason: the bar so she can be on her tree stand there and we still have a table that we can eat at without fear. Lol. The things we buy our pets! We just got back form a 3500 mile trip and she loved every hour in the truck, time in the airstream and even the horseback trail ride we took in Cody, WY! It was the first time the trail ride company had ever heard of a parrot coming along. Yeah, she goes where we do.

Recommendations: Bird backpack - we use a Celltei, a good travel cage - we have a Wingabago, a nice tree perch (we have a nice one with lots of toys), of course toys, harness if your fid will allow it (ours won’t), and we have a screen room to put over the picnic table at our site so she can be outside with us (she has a big aviary at home and loves outside time). Oh and lastly, a good sense of humor for all of the shocked people you will meet!
Bimrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:15 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Omaha , Nebraska
I have a Celltei backpack as well, my sun conure loves to travel with us. We want to get the clam sunroom so she can free fly outside with us. She free flies at home inside. Rules the roost!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190604_144816.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	348515  
Old 08-04-2019, 06:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimrunner View Post
Recommendations: Bird backpack ...
Just curious, but, what is a bird backpack?

I hope some of you parrot people camp next to us sometimes. I love those birds.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:15 AM   #10
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
recently at Jackson Center and was parked next to a very nice woman who had 3 parrots with her, we loved it they were a hoot
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:39 AM   #11
Elliot/Barbara

Airstream - Other
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Fort Collins , Colorado
Peanut's Big Adventure

We have been travelling with our small Pionus Parret for twelve years and he loves it!

We have also had some exciting times with him crossing the border back from Canada. That story was posted in the Blue Beret several years ago.

You can access that story from my website at https://elliotactor-author.com/?page_id=199

I know you will enjoy it as I am a successful author of a few novels.
ElliotA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:23 PM   #12

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Davis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beboplu View Post
I have a Celltei backpack as well, my sun conure loves to travel with us. We want to get the clam sunroom so she can free fly outside with us. She free flies at home inside. Rules the roost!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
Just curious, but, what is a bird backpack?

I hope some of you parrot people camp next to us sometimes. I love those birds.
The backpack in the picture is a bird backpack.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:33 PM   #13

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Davis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliotA View Post
We have been travelling with our small Pionus Parret for twelve years and he loves it!

We have also had some exciting times with him crossing the border back from Canada. That story was posted in the Blue Beret several years ago.

You can access that story from my website at https://elliotactor-author.com/?page_id=199

I know you will enjoy it as I am a successful author of a few novels.
Love the story of Peanut! I’ll have to make other arrangements for our bird when we go up to Canada. Good info there.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:41 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Omaha , Nebraska
Airstream did a story on us traveling with our bird in our "Nest" named Road Roost :
https://www.airstream.com/blog/road-roost/
Old 08-08-2019, 08:51 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
I did camp with my “birds” at international this year and I was a big hit! They loved it and also payed eggs too!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0495.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	710.7 KB
ID:	348906
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 02:56 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
Just finding this topic now, We have a conure and would like to travel to Canada, wondering if anyone knows the exact permits/requirements to travel back and forth from Canada to U.S. I was looking into the CITES Pet Passport but was wondering if there were additional permits / documents needed.
limonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 06:17 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
DFW , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by limonade View Post
Just finding this topic now, We have a conure and would like to travel to Canada, wondering if anyone knows the exact permits/requirements to travel back and forth from Canada to U.S. I was looking into the CITES Pet Passport but was wondering if there were additional permits / documents needed.

At least as of a few months ago when I looked into it, you needed a vet to sign off on a USDA form stating that the parrot doesn't have bird flu

https://inspection.canada.ca/importing-food-plants-or-animals/pets/eng/1326600389775/1326600500578
hawkspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 07:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
How can you derive that a caged animal “loves it”…??
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 11:39 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Omaha , Nebraska
How can I derive that my caged bird loves it?!?

Simple! For one, my “caged” birds are out on their perches in my trailer more than they are in their cages, and chirp and sing (or in the case of my African Grey, talk, whistle and mimic all kinds of sounds) when they are content. I have a large Clam Escape Sky Shelter that is a makeshift travel aviary that the birds are free to fly in, sit on our shoulders or climb on their play stands and play with their toys. They are VERY content to travel with us, as opposed to being left behind for weeks to months at a time in the care of strangers. You apparently do not know parrots well, as they bond very closely to their owners, and it can be very traumatic to a parrot to be away from their person. We bought our Airstream just so our birds can travel with us. We are dedicated parrot parents and our birds enjoy being outside in the Clam with us and seeing new places, trying new foods, and going for walks with us in their backpack carriers. Why yes, as a matter of fact, I certainly do derive that my parrots are extremely happy!
Beboplu is offline   Reply With Quote