Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Aw, sorry about your new dog, Steph! I hope it settles in and calms down. A friend suggested a human-controlled bark collar. You want the dog to bark in the right situation, but not all the time. An automatic collar doesn't care what situation is happening - it works on any bark. But a human can be selective and let the dog bark (and praise him) in the right situations and stop him in others.

We do have a motion-sensor light on the garage, which comes on if someone is in the regular parking area, but Brad had parked the truck off in an ancillary area that was not covered. Maybe we can put one up on the barn to come on if there is motion in that area.

I agree - a barking dog and lights coming on would be enough to make me find another place to rob!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:07 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
My next door neighbors have a big mean looking Rottweiler. They keep it chained to their deck in back. It is quite friendly and pays little attention to their other dog - a Miniature Pinscher, which they let run loose.

The little dog is a great watchdog in that it does not miss a thing and barks loud and long at anything that moves. The Rottweiler is friendly, even around children - they have two under 5 years old.

But, the Rottweilers initial response to anyone or anything is to come down off the porch at a full tilt in a snarling, snorting, growling, barking, chain dragging display that would scare anyone with a strong heart clear into the next county. Anyone with a weak heart might just drop dead from fear - it is that bad.

We were a little disturbed by this dog when they first moved in but have come to appreciate the level of protection that it provides. Her owner is a State Trooper and the dog is as much, if not more of a deterent than the cruiser in the driveway.

My own dog is a Lab/Beagle mix and she'll only bark until you pet her. On top of that - she can't hold her licker.
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Here is an interesting dog, supposed to be the ultimate in protection!

The Canis Panther is a strong, well-muscled breed of protection dog. They have a broad chest and a very wide jaw. Their ears are typically cropped and their tails are docked. They have a short-haired http://<font face="Times New Roman">...</font></font> that exists in a http://<font face="Times New Roman">...</font></font> of solid http://<font face="Times New Roman">...</font></font>http://<font face="Times New Roman">...</font></font> chocolate, black, fawn, and blue gray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	canis_panther386_25x_1198065152515.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	52959  
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:08 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Sorry

Sorry about your problems, glad that the damage was light. It’s still disturbing, though. I was broken into twice when I lived outside Austin in the Texas hill country. Mostly kids. I lost a Colt Target Woodsman .22 target pistol that is irreplaceable since they are out of production, and electric guitar, and an answering machine(?). Another time I caught some kids trying to steal the exhaust off a friends ’73 charger sitting on my property.

I agree about the alarm dogs. My neighbors have a Jack Russell that is an excellent alarm dog. He barks at everything that comes in their yard, but does not nuisance bark. He is inside most of the time, though. I was trying to setup their wireless router last weekend and they had to put him in a bedroom. They also have a mid-size poodle that will become friends given the chance, but the Jack Russell doesn’t warm up very quickly.

Nonetheless, a little alarm dog would probably get your more laid back one in the act.

Talk to you soon,
Old 01-21-2008, 06:23 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
duncanville , Texas
I 2nd the comment about Aussies or look at Anatolian shepherds (large, docile and protective). If one socializes an (we have had many) Aussie they are very nice but are very aware of what is going on.

bo
Bo Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Some Info..

A neighbor in the city had one, very similar to the German Shepard, can

be a handful, here's some more info. Carefuly read the temperament section.

Belgian Malinois Information and Pictures
Old 02-10-2008, 08:14 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
Interestingly for me, I just started working on a finca raising 30 Malinois, and renting nice gaited horses in season. I'm learning more everyday about the breed, the only problem is they are smarter than I am. They are incredibly athletic, high energy, and their personalities run the gamut, from 6month old pups that will excel in bite work, agility, and even be a semi house dog. They are first working dogs, they really do need a job. But remember that they are becoming popular with police and the military, the IDF, I've read, is changing to this breed. But what that means is they are superior working dogs, not vicious animals. You can't have junkyard attack dogs working around the public.

My old friend in the Air Force K-9 cops, loves them, they go to work with them, and take them home to the family at night. They're extremely loyal, and well behaved when trained properly, just like children and poodles...

My pooch Nyx has lived with me for 10 days. She is an awesome dog, but I've been so busy shoveling poop and feeding horses, that my time available to properly train her has been limited.

One piece of good advice that I can give from my 2 weeks of experience, for anyone considering the breed, is don't buy a puppy. Nyx was almost 2 when I bought her. This is not late to start training by any means (for this breed) and the breeder will know exactly what type of an animal you're looking for. We have a few that would be perfect for you, and a few that we would never sell as your relationship with teh dog would be a failure. But this is really no diferent from any breed that you'd consider.

The sire of my pooch weighs 95 pounds, bred in France, Executive level protection trained in the CZ Rep, and a great big fun brute to play with. Her dam is similar, excelent genetics, I wouldn't buy a Malinois from a puppy farm.

Ok, I'm babbling...

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:19 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
Rasta, an animal that you want on your side, but also an excelent companion.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2008 02 06 004_edited-1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	54042  

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Lot to be said for the standard female poodle. Very smart and will quickly train you. Their bark can sound like a much larger dog and they only bark when they they think you need to be alerted or to frighten something away. Since they don't shed they do require trimming every several months but you can easily do this at home. If you walk them around your property perimeter a few times they quickly learn the boundary and will stay within it.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
You are so right about the Standard Poodle as far as protection goes. Be it male or female, they are the most intelligent animals I have ever owned, and very protective. However, I have shown Standards and bred Standards for about 20 years, and have yet to find one that just needs trimming every few months. They really take a lot of grooming and care. If you can pay to have them cut down every 4 to 6 weeks, then they are the greatest dog to have. If you want to do the trimming yourself, which I am expert at doing, then you will have to invest in some pricey equipment. They don't shed, but they need at least their face, feet and belly clipped to keep them in good shape. They also need attention paid to their ears to keep them healthy as they have heavy ear leather that keeps air from circulating. I love the Standards, but I never try to talk a novice into getting one. You see very few Standards in the general public and there is good reason for that. HAIR CARE
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Found a good one!

Wow, thank you all for such great info! I agree about Standard poodles--our neighbor across the street had one when I was younger and it was a VERY smart and loyal dog.

I decided to give the BM a pass--he was a beautiful animal that looked like he could do anything he wanted, but he was SO work-focused he would have gone insane at our house. The good thing is, the people who were kenneling him for the trainer really wanted him and were working to come up with the money for him, so he will be in a good home.

jacarape, thanks so much for your info and beautiful pictures! It sounds like you are in an incredible situation. Enjoy every minute of it!

I went to Petco last weekend and they had the rescue dogs there. I had to stop to see who they brought, and they had the perfect dog. She is a Great Pyrenees/Lab mix and I had not paid attention to her on their Web site since I thought she would be a lot bigger than she actually is. She's the same height as Shadow, but about 10 lbs heavier (fed well at her foster home, but we're slowly working on that). She is about 1 to 2 years old and was rescued from the Little Rock shelter in December. She and Shadow get along very well, and she is definitely alert to anything going on around the yard, and barks to let me know.

Here's a few pictures for your enjoyment (she is the yellow & white one):

Name:	Sitting with Shadow 1 2-3-08.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	54080 Click image for larger version

Name:	Shadow gives her a kiss 2-3-08.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	54081

Name:	Pooped out with Shadow 2-3-08.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	54082 Click image for larger version

Name:	Standing in doghouse 2-3-08.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	54083

She is calm, sweet, wags her tail when she sees you and is a good, steady dog. The antithesis of Shadow (Mr. Boisterous)! Her name is Sadie.

Thank you all again for the great help and information as we tried to find the right dog. This one looks wonderful, and she will have a good forever home with us.

Susan

Old 02-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Nicely done Susan.

Now Shadow won't have to bark at intruders since Sadie will likely be all over the place barking her head off. Good thing you didn't give us shadow eh?

Tell Brad safe travels for us.

Steve
Old 02-10-2008, 06:55 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Oh, no, Steve, Shadow still has to find a new home. Brad is very adamant about one dog only, and I respect that. Poor fellow didn't know what he was in for when he met up with me! But two cats, a dog, a mule and a donkey is (rightfully) plenty enough for him!

Anyone want a Lab mix who won't bark at people but LOVES to play? He needs a home with at least one other dog or some serious stimulation.

Name:	06-17-07 Silly boy in plants.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	54088

Susan

Old 02-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Great looking and happy dog but looks like she has already got in the dog house.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
You are so right about the Standard Poodle as far as protection goes. Be it male or female, they are the most intelligent animals I have ever owned, and very protective. However, I have shown Standards and bred Standards for about 20 years, and have yet to find one that just needs trimming every few months. They really take a lot of grooming and care. If you can pay to have them cut down every 4 to 6 weeks, then they are the greatest dog to have. If you want to do the trimming yourself, which I am expert at doing, then you will have to invest in some pricey equipment. They don't shed, but they need at least their face, feet and belly clipped to keep them in good shape. They also need attention paid to their ears to keep them healthy as they have heavy ear leather that keeps air from circulating. I love the Standards, but I never try to talk a novice into getting one. You see very few Standards in the general public and there is good reason for that. HAIR CARE
Beg to differ. Have had poodles for more than 40 years. As you have a show mentality (and we have a few friends that show) I understand your preference for that type of grooming but it's not a requirement for a healthy dog. We do a modified kennel clip with regular bathing. We use a Andis Pro clipper that cost $79 and I don't consider that pricey. Most dog's with long ears require attention so that's not an issue. Through many years we have introduced poodles to "novices" and have been thanked profusely. Here's a pict of our girls after two months since the last clip.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...1&d=1202752026
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP0784.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	54146  
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote