Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #21
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
Swedes, Danes, there all Scandinavians at heart.

BTW, don't tell my wife I posted on this thread about her!
Ok... I won't!

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #22
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
My husband has already read your reply on the camper shell. I can hear the gears turning in his head already. Thanks!!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
We love to travel with the Stream but dogs, cats, and MiL's are not allowed...LOL
Old 07-07-2010, 12:55 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Before Hagar we had two Danes, Gus and Lil. They rode in a camper shell all the time. Gus who weighed about 185 lbs. figured out if he pushed hard enough on the back window it would flex and pop open. We were in a hardware store when the electric doors opened and we could hear a commotion in the front of the store. Here was Gus strolling down the main aisle. I installed some cleats on the sides and back and tied the back window closed after that.

Hagar on the other hand won't get near the truck. If I go anywhere near the back of the shell he runs and hides. Irene even tried to ride in the back with him and he just shakes the whole time. This is one of the reasons we have the Airstream.

Irene is Norwegian but I consider the Swedes and Danes and all the Scandinavians to be VIKINGS.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:40 AM   #25
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Before Hagar we had two Danes, Gus and Lil. They rode in a camper shell all the time. Gus who weighed about 185 lbs. figured out if he pushed hard enough on the back window it would flex and pop open. We were in a hardware store when the electric doors opened and we could hear a commotion in the front of the store. Here was Gus strolling down the main aisle. I installed some cleats on the sides and back and tied the back window closed after that.

Hagar on the other hand won't get near the truck. If I go anywhere near the back of the shell he runs and hides. Irene even tried to ride in the back with him and he just shakes the whole time. This is one of the reasons we have the Airstream.

Irene is Norwegian but I consider the Swedes and Danes and all the Scandinavians to be VIKINGS.

Cheers, Dan
Smart boy, was Gus. He showed you! Leave him in the truck...HA! Was the entire store laughing?

Poor Hagar. Is Hagar a storm/sound sensitive dog? Is it to loud for him? Or does the shell just scare him? Drake has ridden in his crate in the back and seemed ok with it. He just likes to go. He gets upset when we train using the ramp, because we don't actually leave the driveway.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-08-2010, 12:29 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
Smart boy, was Gus. He showed you! Leave him in the truck...HA! Was the entire store laughing?

Poor Hagar. Is Hagar a storm/sound sensitive dog? Is it to loud for him? Or does the shell just scare him? Drake has ridden in his crate in the back and seemed ok with it. He just likes to go. He gets upset when we train using the ramp, because we don't actually leave the driveway.
Yes Gus was quite the character. He was into everything and always the center of attention.

Hagar like all our Danes is a rescue and he has gotten over his other issues but that one remains a mystery. He really is a great dog so I guess we will just use the Airstream more than the pick-up.

Cheers, Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0774.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	106463  
Old 07-08-2010, 06:36 AM   #27
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Yes Gus was quite the character. He was into everything and always the center of attention.

Hagar like all our Danes is a rescue and he has gotten over his other issues but that one remains a mystery. He really is a great dog so I guess we will just use the Airstream more than the pick-up.

Cheers, Dan
Both our dogs are rescue dogs as well, and sometimes you never find out. Hagar looks really cute. I love that picture.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
So sorry to hear that you lost your harlequin dane, Sandy!! I have to say though, I hope Drake gets to 12 years old. What a great life span for a Dane! Drake is a complete sweetie too!
Thanks - we miss him horribly. His name was Bongo - hence my screen name "Bonginator". We console ourselves knowing that we had a very long time with him given Dane lifespan. We also had an Old English Mastiff, Miss Gracie, that lived to 11 - must be something in the Pro Plan we fed both of them!

Thanks for this thread - although it may result in us getting another gentle giant.
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Danes

This thread is pretty interesting. What do you do if you are traveling into areas that require AC? That has been the reason we have held back on taking our current pups with us.

We have generators but feel kind of concerned about leaving the pups in the trailer with the generators supplying AC if we want to go for a hike in areas that don't allow pups on trail etc...

What do y'all do?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #30
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
Thanks - we miss him horribly. His name was Bongo - hence my screen name "Bonginator". We console ourselves knowing that we had a very long time with him given Dane lifespan. We also had an Old English Mastiff, Miss Gracie, that lived to 11 - must be something in the Pro Plan we fed both of them!

Thanks for this thread - although it may result in us getting another gentle giant.
I am now unsure if we will ever be without a gentle giant. They are just the sweetest love bugs around!! There is always a Dane in need of a home, and they just give so much love, not to encourage you.....

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #31
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
This thread is pretty interesting. What do you do if you are traveling into areas that require AC? That has been the reason we have held back on taking our current pups with us.

We have generators but feel kind of concerned about leaving the pups in the trailer with the generators supplying AC if we want to go for a hike in areas that don't allow pups on trail etc...

What do y'all do?
Good question.....

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We travel with five cats (four boys and one girl). I pay attention to them when we get into a new place. They like grass better than graveled rough surfaces. So I realized they ARE barefooted and not as tough as a dogs pads are. So I would interject here to also pay attention to what the danes are walking on...(hee hee now I can sneak some pictures in here! ha!) Pets are the very BEST remedy for longevity.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF2246.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	106496   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2289.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	388.7 KB
ID:	106497  

Name:	DSCF1844.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	484.1 KB
ID:	106498   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1852.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	640.7 KB
ID:	106499  

Old 07-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:

What do y'all do?
First thing is to avoid places that require A/C, that is why we moved north. It's much easier to just put on a sweater. Second is to get your priorities straight. If someplace doesn't want my dog then they probably don't want me either. There are too many places that are happy to have us then worry about those that place restrictions.

This was lunch at the golf coarse at Port Alice, British Columbia, Canada and the ferry ride leaving Victoria.

Cheers, Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1431.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	106502   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1547.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	106503  

Old 07-09-2010, 06:38 AM   #34
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
We travel with five cats (four boys and one girl). I pay attention to them when we get into a new place. They like grass better than graveled rough surfaces. So I realized they ARE barefooted and not as tough as a dogs pads are. So I would interject here to also pay attention to what the danes are walking on...(hee hee now I can sneak some pictures in here! ha!) Pets are the very BEST remedy for longevity.
My 6 year old daughter loved your kitty's pictures this morning! They are so cute!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-09-2010, 06:51 AM   #35
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
First thing is to avoid places that require A/C, that is why we moved north. It's much easier to just put on a sweater. Second is to get your priorities straight. If someplace doesn't want my dog then they probably don't want me either. There are too many places that are happy to have us then worry about those that place restrictions.

This was lunch at the golf coarse at Port Alice, British Columbia, Canada and the ferry ride leaving Victoria.

Cheers, Dan
I think more to the point would be if they don't want my dog there, then I don't want to be there anyway! Heading north during the summer months is a good idea, most years I would love to escape the heat!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-09-2010, 07:31 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Danes

Quote:
I am now unsure if we will ever be without a gentle giant. They are just the sweetest love bugs around!! There is always a Dane in need of a home, and they just give so much love, not to encourage you.....
Thanks for the encouragement - it doesn't take much with us to hit the tipping piont as you can see from the attached pics. Thought I'd share some photos of Bongo, the dane, Miss Gracie, the mastiff, and their compadre and leader of the pack, Guinness, the std dachshund. Since we lost Bongo and Gracie, we've added Henley, the clumber spaniel to our "pack"...

We miss the big guys though. For the Texans in the crowd, the Gracie "hook 'em horns" photo was taken when UT/USC were in the Rose Bowl - sent to my brother and sister-in-law who are big SC fans. [Just had to have some fun with them..]

Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bongo xmas.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	106522   Click image for larger version

Name:	10bongo jumping for frisbee.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	106523  

Name:	Sept 2006013 bongo face.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	106524   Click image for larger version

Name:	3Gracie head shot jpeg.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	106525  

Name:	Guinness approx 3 mos 054.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	386.7 KB
ID:	106526   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0118.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	106527  

Name:	done mess with texas 2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	106528   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1483.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	106529  

Old 07-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
I don't know much about mastiffs or the fuzzy little guy but Bongo was truly a handsome gentle giant.

Cheers, Dan
Old 07-09-2010, 10:17 AM   #38
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement - it doesn't take much with us to hit the tipping piont as you can see from the attached pics. Thought I'd share some photos of Bongo, the dane, Miss Gracie, the mastiff, and their compadre and leader of the pack, Guinness, the std dachshund. Since we lost Bongo and Gracie, we've added Henley, the clumber spaniel to our "pack"...

We miss the big guys though. For the Texans in the crowd, the Gracie "hook 'em horns" photo was taken when UT/USC were in the Rose Bowl - sent to my brother and sister-in-law who are big SC fans. [Just had to have some fun with them..]

Enjoy.
OH MY!! That is cute, adorable, lovable over load!! All those sweet faces! Almost makes me want to add to my pack... almost. My husband and kids will like the "hook'em horns" photo!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Glad you like the photos! We think they are cute but then we are biased.

Sandy
Old 07-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #40
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Glad you like the photos! We think they are cute but then we are biased.

Sandy
And blessed as well!

TAC OK-42

]

Tags
great dane, heeler, pets