Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2010, 12:51 AM   #81
1 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Portland , Oregon
Dan,
I'm looking forward to another trip to Fort Stevens. I had to cancel a reservation there just recently for a very important reason- to bring home a deerhound puppy. Won't be long and you won't need to lean over to pet him. He just had his first camping trip in the OphirStream last month and he loved it - just curled up under the dinette!
JT
jtnichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:03 AM   #82
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
hmmmmm....

Sound like we need a "big dogs" rally! I would love to be in a place where people looked at my dane/lab mix and said, "oh, she's so little!"
Carmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:17 AM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via MSN to JulianneJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
We must have been neighbors, when did you leave Port Angeles? Back in 01 when that picture was taken we had two danes, Lil was a black and Gus a big silver merle, both rescued. They both lived to about 10 1/2. and we miss them dearly. Enjoy the time you have left with Hannah.

Cheers, Dan
Dan,

I left Port Angeles in 2004, lived out on West Bluff Drive, moved back to the city and lived in Ballard for 3 years before moving here to Arizona. I have great friends still in PA and am hoping to get back up there next summer. Summer in Arizona is not much fun for a NW Native! Didn't make the trip this year because I knew Hannah wouldn't be up for it.

I bet you miss your two Danes, you had double the Dane love.

Julianne

2003 International CCD
JulianneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #84
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Our 70+ pound greyhounds did fantastic with their own side gaucho (made into a cushy bed, of course!) and five weeks in 16 linear feet of space didn't seem to cramp anyone's style too much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roadtrip.girls.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	437.0 KB
ID:	107801   Click image for larger version

Name:	girls.roadtrip.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	107802  

Old 07-30-2010, 09:32 AM   #85
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo View Post
Our 70+ pound greyhounds did fantastic with their own side gaucho (made into a cushy bed, of course!) and five weeks in 16 linear feet of space didn't seem to cramp anyone's style too much.
Love the heads out the window pic! Fantastic!

2003 International CCD
Old 07-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianneJ View Post
Dan,

I left Port Angeles in 2004, lived out on West Bluff Drive, moved back to the city and lived in Ballard for 3 years before moving here to Arizona. I have great friends still in PA and am hoping to get back up there next summer. Summer in Arizona is not much fun for a NW Native! Didn't make the trip this year because I knew Hannah wouldn't be up for it.

I bet you miss your two Danes, you had double the Dane love.

Julianne
We live east of PA just north of the State Patrol office at Old Olympic Hwy. I can't imagine summer in Arizonia. We have friends in Tucson and I even have problems with winter there. If you make it up next summer be sure to look us up.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnichols View Post
Dan,
I'm looking forward to another trip to Fort Stevens. I had to cancel a reservation there just recently for a very important reason- to bring home a deerhound puppy. Won't be long and you won't need to lean over to pet him. He just had his first camping trip in the OphirStream last month and he loved it - just curled up under the dinette!
JT
I don't know much about deerhounds but I guess as long as they don't chase the pets that visit our yard it's alright. We have a momma and her new spotted twins that showed up last week.

We came home yesterday from 4 days at Tokeland wth a local RV group. This morning we let Hagar out for potty and he ran directly to the AS and sat by the door. I think we may have created a monster.

Cheers, Dan
Old 07-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
We live east of PA just north of the State Patrol office at Old Olympic Hwy. I can't imagine summer in Arizonia. We have friends in Tucson and I even have problems with winter there. If you make it up next summer be sure to look us up.

Cheers, Dan
We really were almost neighbors then! I would turn at the Patrol Office and go back that way to the Bluffs.
I certainly will look you up next summer if I make my way up, which I am sure I will. Would be fun to set up a rally do some beach camping.

2003 International CCD
Old 07-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #89
2 Rivet Member

Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Your pups look great, blue's are really special Danes. Did you make their jackets? Irene made one for our Hagar out of John Deere green and yellow
fabric. He also loves to be under a blanket to take the chill off.

I can't help much with trailer info as we have a Moho. Hagar owns the couch. He normally is not allowed on the furniture but laying on the floor in the Moho he couldn't see out and was not happy. Irene made a heavy cover for the couch and now he can see out and is very happy. If we start packing anything at all Hagar races outside and sits at the Moho door.

Back when we had two Danes we put two of the biggest dog pillows we could find on the floor and the dogs slept together. They would get up, turn around and lie down again but always cuddled together. I don't know if you would have a large enough area in an AS for a big single bed.

I look forward to meeting you and your pups in a shinny AS in a NW campground.

Cheers, Dan
We did not make the jackets, the were a key purchase after our first cold night in the tent. Though now they would make good templates. We ended up with Leia sharing our queen air mattress about halfway through a camping trip on the coast. Even though she's our "little" dane waking up with 125 lbs of dog draped over your legs makes for quite the pins and needles experience. It's still a bit of a battle for room on the air mattress, but at least I know she's not to chilly.

We're going to check out the new airstreams this weekend as well taking a look at some used finds on craigslist. The windows in the new 25 are amazing, but I really do prefer the exterior look of the vintage airstreams. Finding the time for a full restoration project is likely out of the question, but I can dream can't I! I imagine it will all work out for the best...
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #90
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Hi JT, I have always maintained that if you have to bend over to pet your dog, then he isn't big enough.

Cheers, Dan
Having never had a dog big enough to pet while just standing there before Drake, I can say it's much easier on the back. I also seem to pet him more without realizing it. He walks by and runs under my hand, or brushes up against your leg. Which leads to a guilt petting session with the heeler..... after all it's not her fault she's not as big.... oh, the guilt .....

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #91
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccoli View Post
We ended up with Leia sharing our queen air mattress about halfway through a camping trip on the coast. Even though she's our "little" dane waking up with 125 lbs of dog draped over your legs makes for quite the pins and needles experience.
I once laid down on the floor beside Drake. When he moved his head I turned my face away and he rested his head on my cheek. It makes for a very funny picture but I had to wiggle out from under him.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-30-2010, 06:54 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
I once laid down on the floor beside Drake. When he moved his head I turned my face away and he rested his head on my cheek. It makes for a very funny picture but I had to wiggle out from under him.
We spend some time on the floor with Hagar nearly every day. He really loves to cuddle. If we are just watching tv he gives us the guilty stare until we spend some time with him, and yes he does like to use some part of you as a pillow. This is another reason for extra large pillows on the floor. Danes really are affectionate dogs.

Cheers, Dan
Old 07-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #93
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
We spend some time on the floor with Hagar nearly every day. He really loves to cuddle. If we are just watching tv he gives us the guilty stare until we spend some time with him, and yes he does like to use some part of you as a pillow. This is another reason for extra large pillows on the floor. Danes really are affectionate dogs.

Cheers, Dan
they really do make you feel guilty for not loving them... especially when your watching TV! I see Hagar and Drake have much in common. Speaking of cuddles you should see him and my daughter, he just let's her love, love, love him! I would not change the decision to get a Dane for anything!!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-30-2010, 11:32 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
We really were almost neighbors then! I would turn at the Patrol Office and go back that way to the Bluffs.
I certainly will look you up next summer if I make my way up, which I am sure I will. Would be fun to set up a rally do some beach camping.
I had to go back and re-read your post. I thought you lived on the bluffs west of town. I never said I could read well. Anyway we were really close, we are on Lemmon Rd. It's hard to beleive we never ran into each other, maybe next summer.

Cheers, Dan
Old 09-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #95
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Well folks I no longer have Hannah the Great Dane traveling with me threw life She passed on August 31. We had 11 amazing years, she got to travel more than most humans thanks to the Airstream way of life. The day after she died I loaded the truck & trailer, headed out camping, now with just my Shiba Inu; Rex Luther. She is missed. Takes some getting use to not having 120 lbs of love around but Rex & I are doing fine, taking long morning walks again now that the weather is cooler here. Looking forward to more Airstream Adventures!

2003 International CCD
Old 09-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #96
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
So Very Sorry

Quote:
Well folks I no longer have Hannah the Great Dane traveling with me threw life She passed on August 31. We had 11 amazing years, she got to travel more than most humans thanks to the Airstream way of life. The day after she died I loaded the truck & trailer, headed out camping, now with just my Shiba Inu; Rex Luther. She is missed. Takes some getting use to not having 120 lbs of love around but Rex & I are doing fine, taking long morning walks again now that the weather is cooler here. Looking forward to more Airstream Adventures!
I am so very sorry to hear about Hannah. Honestly, there is nothing to say but that you are in our thoughts. Sending healing thoughts your way....
Nicki

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #97
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cedar Falls , IA
We just finished our maiden voyage and brought our Great Dane "Mt. Everest" He didn't like the new enviroment so much unless he had his pillow but once we put it down, he loved it. Spend most of his time sleeping under the open window and looking out the windows. Tried to get him outside but the gravel hurt his paws (he's such a baby.) and he wanted in.

We are going boondocking and hunting in three weeks and we are hoping to take him along for that too.
Hendrick2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #98
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrick2488 View Post
We just finished our maiden voyage and brought our Great Dane "Mt. Everest" He didn't like the new enviroment so much unless he had his pillow but once we put it down, he loved it. Spend most of his time sleeping under the open window and looking out the windows. Tried to get him outside but the gravel hurt his paws (he's such a baby.) and he wanted in.

We are going boondocking and hunting in three weeks and we are hoping to take him along for that too.
Hannah was such a big baby when it came to walking on tough surfaces also but she sure loved camping!

2003 International CCD
Old 09-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #99
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
We just finished our 4th trip with the dogs. Drake is a trooper. Often times it's a bit of a shuffle in the trailer with so many of us, but if the speed with which he loaded into the truck this time is any indication he likes going!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
So sorry to hear about Hanna. Our prayers and thoughts are with you. It is so hard to loose a family member. Dan

Tags
great dane, heeler, pets