Old 07-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #57
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Your right, people who normally would be scared or too busy to talk to you will when there is a dog involved. However, with a Dane you sometimes get a line forming to pet the doggy. I'm not sure if this is magnified because Drake is a Harlequin or not. Does this happen with your Harley? I know golden's have many an admirer as well. Lucky for me Drake loves attention too, so it should all be ok.

As we haven't had one night in our A/S yet, I'm not sure how it will go. Pretty much everything except the carpet and a/c are original... and the a/c is from 1978), so we are doing some restoration/redecoration. Two adults, two children, two dogs. Bath is in the rear, kids in the front, dogs on the floor in between... I think we will be taken a small trip close to home first. Knowing our heeler, she'll decide the bathroom floor is her "spot". Iron out some details.... Once you have the A/S I think it gets really difficult to wait to take her out! And we still have at least a few months work to do.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #58
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
They get lots of quality time. Sometimes they can limit your options,
but it often is just easier to bring them along.

I read that Akitas had some Great Dane bred in many years ago.
Mine hunts like a Dane
Dane's don't really like to be left behind for very long. When you have two dogs it can be expensive to board. My daughter is mightily attached to that Dane. But mostly, I just miss my dogs and worry about them. I'd rather have my whole family together.

As for limiting my options, I accept that I may not be able to take the dogs on every trip... but I will try my best. I know in some cases they have specific reasons for refusing dogs, I respect that. For instance, I read that some National Parks limit dog access for Human & Dog safety.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-28-2010, 03:49 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

Eugene , Oregon
Smile But how big for two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianneJ View Post
A few snaps from our month long California trip last March. Hannah is 11 years now and camping is a lot of work for her these days.
It's really encouraging to read all of these replies. My wife and I have a two two year old great danes that have us upsizing everything! Luke is 170 and Leia 125, though they will both likely gain weight for another year. Had to trade in the Tahoe for a Suburban, and even with that finding enough room for all the camping gear is a challenge. We also ended up with a 6 person tent for the four of us, that the dogs have only attempted to walk though the side of once or twice while it was zipped up. The things is with all of their stuff we're now just camping near the car anyway...

The point of my rambling introduction is that we're now contemplating what size/layout works well for people with danes/multiple dogs. We figure ideally there would be room for both dogs up off the floor even if that means one of them in the bed. Leaning towards the 25FB flying cloud, but the tow is also a consideration, as the suburban is the half ton (at least with all the extra tow packages) and there will be regular climbs of between 2k-6k feet in our future. Any advice appreciated...

Old 07-28-2010, 05:55 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Welcome to the forum...beautiful pups!! We travel with 2 lab/border collie mix pups of our own! One is 100lbs, tall and lean, the other is 75lbs, shes a bit of a chunk! Currently we own a 27' International and have no problem with room. The dogs arent' inside that much, but evenings or rain, make a cozy place for sure,but hey, we're dog people and we make do. One of the dogs love to make underneath the dining table her own space and our big guy usually lounges between the twin beds. All is good! Wouldn't think of traveling without them, they love it when the AS is pulled to the house for loading up for a trip...they always know its trip time!
A 25' may get a little too cozy...especially with danes...the gentle giants. Are they grey or the blue?
Enjoy the travels...
Andi
Old 07-28-2010, 08:19 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
Dogs

Yes- my big girls (70+ pounds) go everywhere. I'm luckier than most, mine are search and rescue dogs- both dane mix mutts- and therefore classified as "working" dogs with ID badges. We have a silver streak (yes, I'm the red-headed stepchild here) and they fit great in the 16' space. We follow several basic rules: Long morning walk before getting in the car, long evening walk before bed. Stop for lots of pee breaks, and Google. There are websites and books deadicated to K9 friendly parks and campgrounds. Plus, if you're camping with other people with furry family members, they are likely to be more tolerant if the dogs decide to bark at the evil racoons at 3am.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via MSN to JulianneJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccoli View Post
It's really encouraging to read all of these replies. My wife and I have a two two year old great danes that have us upsizing everything! Luke is 170 and Leia 125, though they will both likely gain weight for another year. Had to trade in the Tahoe for a Suburban, and even with that finding enough room for all the camping gear is a challenge. We also ended up with a 6 person tent for the four of us, that the dogs have only attempted to walk though the side of once or twice while it was zipped up. The things is with all of their stuff we're now just camping near the car anyway...

The point of my rambling introduction is that we're now contemplating what size/layout works well for people with danes/multiple dogs. We figure ideally there would be room for both dogs up off the floor even if that means one of them in the bed. Leaning towards the 25FB flying cloud, but the tow is also a consideration, as the suburban is the half ton (at least with all the extra tow packages) and there will be regular climbs of between 2k-6k feet in our future. Any advice appreciated...

Look at your precious pups! The tent could be theirs alone but we all know Danes MUST be near their people.
Is your Suburban a V8? If so, no problem towing a 25ft Flying Cloud. Check your tow capacity on the vehicle and compare it with the weight of the model you are looking at but in my opinion you should be fine. My Tahoe pulls my 22ft perfectly and I almost always travel with fresh water tank full.

As far as sleeping puppies I would advise you to designate their spots from the get go and make that the routine. When its time for bed or nap/alone time for them in the rv they have their spots and that's that. There simply isn't enough room in an rv for dogs to be milling around. Strict rules in mine: your inside you're laying down. And ofcourse they have their super cozy outside beds for comfort when we're just chillin' in the great outdoors, which they also lay on while riding in the back of the Tahoe, this has worked out great for me.

Unfortunetly Hannah has taken her last camping trip. Her legs are in bad shape. Now its just a matter of keeping her comfy until her last day which won't be long from now.

~Julianne

2003 International CCD
JulianneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #63
Rivet Master

heads up on dog friendly motels

My daughter got me tickets to see James Taylor and Carole King
( IN ST. LOUIS 800 MILES AWAY ) for fathers day. So on our down and dirty weekend road trip without the Airstream, we had to stay at a motel.
The Red Roof Inn welcomes dogs. I immediatly started missing my watch dog, and my guard dog. (The concert was awesome, the time with baby girl.......priceless. 14 hours of singing and playing mandolin while looking at corn fields, and corn fields, and corn fields)
Old 07-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #64
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:

Unfortunetly Hannah has taken her last camping trip. Her legs are in bad shape. Now its just a matter of keeping her comfy until her last day which won't be long from now.

~Julianne
I am so sorry to hear that. It is heart breaking. Our heeler has injured both her back knees and has the onset of arthritis in her hip/lower back region and though she's doing ok... it has caused me to think about things I'd rather not. Sending compassion and empathy your way!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-28-2010, 05:46 PM   #65
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:

That is the sweetest looking pair!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
1964 24' Tradewind
1956 18' "Footer"
Southern , Minnesota
Just had to say hi because of my Airforums handle. Some day I'd love to get a great Dane but for now I'm just a Dane with a chocolate lab. Peace!

Steve "Dancin" Hansen
TAC MN-31

visit my almost yearly blog http://www.bluessafari.blogspot.com
GR8DANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #67
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8DANE View Post
Just had to say hi because of my Airforums handle. Some day I'd love to get a great Dane but for now I'm just a Dane with a chocolate lab. Peace!
You really need to rectify that situation. A Dane after all must have its doggy counter part!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-29-2010, 01:49 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

Eugene , Oregon
Mobile Dane Hotel

Quote:
Look at your precious pups! The tent could be theirs alone but we all know Danes MUST be near their people.
Is your Suburban a V8? If so, no problem towing a 25ft Flying Cloud. Check your tow capacity on the vehicle and compare it with the weight of the model you are looking at but in my opinion you should be fine. My Tahoe pulls my 22ft perfectly and I almost always travel with fresh water tank full.

As far as sleeping puppies I would advise you to designate their spots from the get go and make that the routine. When its time for bed or nap/alone time for them in the rv they have their spots and that's that. There simply isn't enough room in an rv for dogs to be milling around. Strict rules in mine: your inside you're laying down. And ofcourse they have their super cozy outside beds for comfort when we're just chillin' in the great outdoors, which they also lay on while riding in the back of the Tahoe, this has worked out great for me.

~Julianne
So sorry to hear about Hannah, though the thought of 11 long years with these guys does make me smile. People tend to have a pessimistic outlook on dane lifespan, but I've heard of several making 14. The danes certainly must be near their people, Luke in particular would like to be someone's 170 lb shadow whenever possible.

I think you're onto something with each dog having a spot. My one worry would be some rough-housing while arguing over who gets the bed. That's dangerous because they both think they're very small dogs, and I'll catch them looking back over their butts after knocking something off a counter as if wondering how that happened. Fortunately they get out hiking quite a bit, Oregon is a dog paradise in the national forests. And as dane owners know they're quite the couch potatoes between running around on the trails. Really the perfect complement to our lifestyle. I do feel bad for the danes that don't get out into the open, it takes some big open spaces to really let them stretch their legs and see their greyhound lineage.

I can't recall who mentioned that we may be a bit cramped: we're also trying to find the minimum size that will work for us to facilitate camping at the national forests spots. We're also contemplating replacing the dinette in back with a nice wide lounge so Luke has somewhere for his long legs. I imagine some shocked RV dealer as I pack them into trailers to test the sizes. We have friends with a 23' flying cloud that we may need to try out for a weekend.

...oh and someone else had asked which type of Danes they were. They're blue's. They've grown in their adult coats, but at 4 months they had lighter coats and would get mistaken for full grown Weimeriners (sp?)
Old 07-29-2010, 02:01 AM   #69
1 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Portland , Oregon
Can't comment about Danes but Sandman, an Irish Wolf Hound, has learned not to block the toilet and not to block the fridge. He loves the Stream.

PS Met Dan's dog in the 280 at Fort Stevens this spring. I remember Dan yelled out "Big dogs rule." Amen, brother.

JT
Old 07-29-2010, 07:37 AM   #70
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
I can't recall who mentioned that we may be a bit cramped: we're also trying to find the minimum size that will work for us to facilitate camping at the national forests spots. We're also contemplating replacing the dinette in back with a nice wide lounge so Luke has somewhere for his long legs. I imagine some shocked RV dealer as I pack them into trailers to test the sizes. We have friends with a 23' flying cloud that we may need to try out for a weekend.
Despite Drake's large size (140lbs), he actually requires little space while indoors. Just enough to lay down comfortably. I actually think he will be happier in the AS than the house because I will spend less time moving around. Drake really seems to understand inside equals nap time. Then again, Drake doesn't appear to have an over abundance of energy.

As for the Rv dealers, although we never took our dogs, they claim to be dog friendly! I would love to see one's face when you take those two in. The Dane Attraction Factor would be hilarious! It could take you a long time to see everything, you'd get stopped by everyone shopping!!

TAC OK-42

]

Tags
great dane, heeler, pets