Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
beavercreek , Oregon
Carter just wants to be a lap dog!!

Yes we just took Carter on his first AS camping trip. He loved ever minute of it. We had him sleep on the living room floor and he did just fine. All though we did not leave him alone in AS because he is only 6mo. and very into chewing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	106542  
wilsontami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Springfield , Illinois
I have a 85# lab puppy, and he goes everywhere. I wouldn't go anywhere without him. I know people who say if you have 1 good woman and 1 good dog in your life you have had a great life. I'm hoping for 2 good dogs! LOL The pup isn't allowed to stay in the cab of the truck any more as he chewed up $420.00 of seat belts, but that is just puppy. My advice, take the dog.
Riverrat6270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #43
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsontami View Post
Yes we just took Carter on his first AS camping trip. He loved ever minute of it. We had him sleep on the living room floor and he did just fine. All though we did not leave him alone in AS because he is only 6mo. and very into chewing.
What beautiful markings!! Luckily Drake is 4 yrs old and hasn't chewed things up. He's been in the A/S before we we pulled up the carpet and seems to like it.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #44
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverrat6270 View Post
I have a 85# lab puppy, and he goes everywhere. I wouldn't go anywhere without him. I know people who say if you have 1 good woman and 1 good dog in your life you have had a great life. I'm hoping for 2 good dogs! LOL The pup isn't allowed to stay in the cab of the truck any more as he chewed up $420.00 of seat belts, but that is just puppy. My advice, take the dog.
My brother had a lab that chewed up 2 sofas, a couple of linoleum floors, and countless other things.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via MSN to JulianneJ
I've been traveling with my dogs for years. Long walks are the answer, get them good and tired and put them down for a nap. I don't travel to places with them where I would have to leave them in the trailer with only the generator to run the a/c in my opinion that is asking for trouble. You have to keep in mind that dogs temps run much hotter than humans so if its hot for us it is miserable for them.

Love all the pics!

2003 International CCD
JulianneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Danes do fit in an Airstream!

A few snaps from our month long California trip last March. Hannah is 11 years now and camping is a lot of work for her these days.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	calimarch10 103.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	106737   Click image for larger version

Name:	calimarch10 083.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	106738  

Name:	calimarch10 042.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	455.6 KB
ID:	106739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hannah & Sonnet.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	106740  

2003 International CCD
Old 07-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #47
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianneJ View Post
A few snaps from our month long California trip last March. Hannah is 11 years now and camping is a lot of work for her these days.
So beautiful and regal!! She also looks really sweet!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #48
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
I've been traveling with my dogs for years. Long walks are the answer, get them good and tired and put them down for a nap. I don't travel to places with them where I would have to leave them in the trailer with only the generator to run the a/c in my opinion that is asking for trouble. You have to keep in mind that dogs temps run much hotter than humans so if its hot for us it is miserable for them.

Love all the pics!
Do you leave them in places with full hookups? I would be afraid to leave them with just a generator too.

I know that certain tourist websites (Cumbersome Toltec & One of the National parks) have recommendations for day boarding for those traveling with dogs.

What are some things I need to think about when traveling with dogs? Things that will help me be a better/more responsible neighbor when camping?

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Have Dane will travel

Thanks, yes Hannah is very sweet. You must know from living with The Drake that there's no love like Great Dane love. I think if Hannah could glue herself to me she definetely would. She is my baby girl after all, even at 11 years old.

I do leave them in the trailer when I want to go run around, but not for long stretches. Helpful to leave the tv or stereo on so they don't notice outside noises as much. Hannah does love to bark! I also tend to park in farther out spaces, much preferable in general to being packed in tight with other rv's, an end spot is the way to go. As I said before its all about getting them good and tired by taking nice long walks. My dogs are serious nappers anyway. They absolutely love to travel, I also had a Rott mix, so in all I had around 230 lbs of dog traveling with me, that got a bit tight in the Airstream but everyone had their spot when it was time to go to bed.

Be warned between having an Airstream and a Great Dane you will have lots of people coming around to visit, always a good thing.

In my house if I say 'we're going camping' I'd better have the trailer packed and ready to go because the pooch excitement takes over. Once they see the trailer in the drive forget about it, they can't wait.

~Julianne

2003 International CCD
Old 07-13-2010, 03:28 PM   #50
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Thanks, yes Hannah is very sweet. You must know from living with The Drake that there's no love like Great Dane love. I think if Hannah could glue herself to me she definetely would. She is my baby girl after all, even at 11 years old.

I do leave them in the trailer when I want to go run around, but not for long stretches. Helpful to leave the tv or stereo on so they don't notice outside noises as much. Hannah does love to bark! I also tend to park in farther out spaces, much preferable in general to being packed in tight with other rv's, an end spot is the way to go. As I said before its all about getting them good and tired by taking nice long walks. My dogs are serious nappers anyway. They absolutely love to travel, I also had a Rott mix, so in all I had around 230 lbs of dog traveling with me, that got a bit tight in the Airstream but everyone had their spot when it was time to go to bed.

Be warned between having an Airstream and a Great Dane you will have lots of people coming around to visit, always a good thing.

In my house if I say 'we're going camping' I'd better have the trailer packed and ready to go because the pooch excitement takes over. Once they see the trailer in the drive forget about it, they can't wait.

~Julianne
There really isn't love like a Great Dane. I have a blue heeler as well and there really is a difference.

I understand your warning. Walking a Dane is never accomplished without cars stopping to comment and people coming over! People whipping out their phones to take pics, but the Dane love more than makes up for it.

Considering how many people have just walked up wanting to look inside the A/S while we are working on it... I can just imagine the combo. Hopefully A/S love will make it worth it!

You should have seen Drake barking at the A/S when he first saw it in the drive. Now he just wants to be in it, which is a problem since we are working on it.

As for pooch excitement... we have to spell walk because he can get persistent. Maybe we shouldn't teach them a term for camping. Thanks for the advice.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
You're welcome.

Since Drake already wants to be in the A/S sounds like he'll make a fine camping dog. You'll have to take plenty of pictures for us all to see him in action!

OMG the comments people make when they see you walking a Dane; "What is it? Where'd you get the pony? How much does that thing eat?" etc. If they only knew how many times I've heard every one of those comments, e gads. I saw my first Dane at 7 years old, all I said was "I want one".

Cheers~

2003 International CCD
Old 07-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #52
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
You're welcome.

Since Drake already wants to be in the A/S sounds like he'll make a fine camping dog. You'll have to take plenty of pictures for us all to see him in action!

OMG the comments people make when they see you walking a Dane; "What is it? Where'd you get the pony? How much does that thing eat?" etc. If they only knew how many times I've heard every one of those comments, e gads. I saw my first Dane at 7 years old, all I said was "I want one".

Cheers~
I will take plenty of pictures. Since I don't post pic of the kids on the internet often, I do them of the dogs instead.

My "favorite" comment is "Do you have a saddle for that thing?". I saw my first dane in a Barnes & Noble in Menlo Park Mall, NJ and fell in love. He was a grey brindle and he let my kids crawl up and love on him. It just took me a year to convince my husband. He thought I was crazy... now he thinks I'm genius! At least about dogs!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Aw yes...the saddle...a classic.

2003 International CCD
Old 07-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #54
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Aw yes...the saddle...a classic.
Almost as classic as the horse!! Because Drake is a harlequin, I sometimes joke that he's a cow instead!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #55
Rivet Master

I think most dogs like to go camping.

They get lots of quality time. Sometimes they can limit your options,
but it often is just easier to bring them along.

I read that Akitas had some Great Dane bred in many years ago.
Mine hunts like a Dane
Attached Images

mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
We just returned from an 8 day camping run. Always take Harley, our 3 year old 130# golden--he's solid muscle and very large but with a super cool temperment--he's our avatar. He functions very well in the Airstream.
The only danger with us is that he sleeps on the floor at night and tends to move around during the night looking for a new cool spot. A dark trip to the bathroom is interesting (where's the dog, where's the dog?).
We get a lot of questions when we are out for a walk but people are usually really nice and H-dog likes the extra attention. He's like the Airstream--you get to meet a lot of new people that you would otherwise never speak with.
My only complaint is that it seems impossible to find a good location to keep a water bowl on the floor for the dog. It always seems to be in the way and gets kicked.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:21 PM   #57
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Your right, people who normally would be scared or too busy to talk to you will when there is a dog involved. However, with a Dane you sometimes get a line forming to pet the doggy. I'm not sure if this is magnified because Drake is a Harlequin or not. Does this happen with your Harley? I know golden's have many an admirer as well. Lucky for me Drake loves attention too, so it should all be ok.

As we haven't had one night in our A/S yet, I'm not sure how it will go. Pretty much everything except the carpet and a/c are original... and the a/c is from 1978), so we are doing some restoration/redecoration. Two adults, two children, two dogs. Bath is in the rear, kids in the front, dogs on the floor in between... I think we will be taken a small trip close to home first. Knowing our heeler, she'll decide the bathroom floor is her "spot". Iron out some details.... Once you have the A/S I think it gets really difficult to wait to take her out! And we still have at least a few months work to do.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #58
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
They get lots of quality time. Sometimes they can limit your options,
but it often is just easier to bring them along.

I read that Akitas had some Great Dane bred in many years ago.
Mine hunts like a Dane
Dane's don't really like to be left behind for very long. When you have two dogs it can be expensive to board. My daughter is mightily attached to that Dane. But mostly, I just miss my dogs and worry about them. I'd rather have my whole family together.

As for limiting my options, I accept that I may not be able to take the dogs on every trip... but I will try my best. I know in some cases they have specific reasons for refusing dogs, I respect that. For instance, I read that some National Parks limit dog access for Human & Dog safety.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-28-2010, 02:49 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

Eugene , Oregon
Smile But how big for two?

Quote:
It's really encouraging to read all of these replies. My wife and I have a two two year old great danes that have us upsizing everything! Luke is 170 and Leia 125, though they will both likely gain weight for another year. Had to trade in the Tahoe for a Suburban, and even with that finding enough room for all the camping gear is a challenge. We also ended up with a 6 person tent for the four of us, that the dogs have only attempted to walk though the side of once or twice while it was zipped up. The things is with all of their stuff we're now just camping near the car anyway...

The point of my rambling introduction is that we're now contemplating what size/layout works well for people with danes/multiple dogs. We figure ideally there would be room for both dogs up off the floor even if that means one of them in the bed. Leaning towards the 25FB flying cloud, but the tow is also a consideration, as the suburban is the half ton (at least with all the extra tow packages) and there will be regular climbs of between 2k-6k feet in our future. Any advice appreciated...

Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:55 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Welcome to the forum...beautiful pups!! We travel with 2 lab/border collie mix pups of our own! One is 100lbs, tall and lean, the other is 75lbs, shes a bit of a chunk! Currently we own a 27' International and have no problem with room. The dogs arent' inside that much, but evenings or rain, make a cozy place for sure,but hey, we're dog people and we make do. One of the dogs love to make underneath the dining table her own space and our big guy usually lounges between the twin beds. All is good! Wouldn't think of traveling without them, they love it when the AS is pulled to the house for loading up for a trip...they always know its trip time!
A 25' may get a little too cozy...especially with danes...the gentle giants. Are they grey or the blue?
Enjoy the travels...
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
great dane, heeler, pets