Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Another sick canine child

I have been up now 24 hours straight with Oakley our 7 year old pound pup. Last night before we went to bed we noticed he was kinda just out of it and not his self, jumping off the walls you know. Then I noticed as he did get up he was walking weird in the back end so naturally I called the vet 10:30 at night (not to late) so I got the vet on call for the night (not our vet) explained the symptoms and was told to give a baby aspirin and bring him in in the morning. So we were up all night with him, the aspirin did help with the walking weird problem.
So 7:30 we left for the vet a full blood workup was done and everything came back clean the vet explains I think he just has a tummy ache and sends us home with prescription dog food.
This is a dog that bounces off the wall, grabs shoes, and clings to his mama and always on my heel. He is just laying around with no energy what so ever. The vet did tell me if it is still going on in a couple of days we may want to run some x-rays to check for obstructions.
He does get up to let me know he needs to go outside but as soon as he's back in it's to his bed.
I'm thinking we may need to see another vet, second opinion thing.
Oakley has never been sick since we have had him (6 years), we go once a year for check-up and that 's it, now Annie our Basset that's a different story.

Yes we have Annie-Oakley at our house.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Good thoughts coming your way. Do you have ticks in your part of the world? Sounds to me that lyme disease needs to be ruled out.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I hope everything turns out alright and Oakley bounces back. With three traveling canines of our own, I understand just how much their suffering can bring you down.
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
Good thoughts coming your way. Do you have ticks in your part of the world? Sounds to me that lyme disease needs to be ruled out.
I thought the same thing last night, but with lyme disease they run a high fever and he is not. I also worried about snake bite but that was not it. No toxins showed up with the blood work.
Air# 9552
Old 08-08-2007, 07:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Our Moose and Wally send their best wishes for Oakley's good recovery, Becky. Isn't it strange how you find yourself missing the bouncing off the walls stuff? ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
If this were me I'd be erring on the side of caution and going for another opinion. Just a couple of times I've had a vet say later, oops - missed that - and I don't expect to ever hear it again. Keep us posted and go get some sleep, even if you do it in shifts.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:35 PM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
hope the puppy gets well soon. I look forward to seeing you and him at the Can Opener!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:39 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
So sorry to hear you’re that buddies not feeling well. I know how hard it for you because he just can't tell you what's wrong. But you know that by the way he's acting something is surely wrong. This came on very fast. Have you checked around for something he may have eaten by accident? You might be surprised what a dog would eat given the chance. Good luck.

Richard SL
SaabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #9
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I hope you can find and correct this as soon as possible. Since pets can't talk, it makes things so much harder to figure out sometimes.

We almost lost Gracie our Yellow Lab last year when she ingested some Sago Palm leaves. The ASPCA has a great web site which lists many plants that are toxic to dogs and cats. Here are the top ten from that site:

Quote:
Ten Most Common Poisonous Plants
Marijuana
Ingestion of Cannabis sativa by companion animals can result in depression of the central nervous system and incoordination, as well as vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, increased heart rate, and even seizures and coma.
Sago Palm
All parts of Cycas Revoluta are poisonous, but the seeds or “nuts” contain the largest amount of toxin. The ingestion of just one or two seeds can result in very serious effects, which include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, seizures and liver failure.
Lilies
Members of the Lilium spp. are considered to be highly toxic to cats. While the poisonous component has not yet been identified, it is clear that with even ingestions of very small amounts of the plant, severe kidney damage could result.
Tulip/Narcissus bulbs
The bulb portions of Tulipa/Narcissus spp. contain toxins that can cause intense gastrointestinal irritation, drooling, loss of appetite, depression of the central nervous system, convulsions and cardiac abnormalities.
Azalea/Rhododendron
Members of the Rhododenron spp. contain substances known as grayantoxins, which can produce vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, weakness and depression of the central nervous system in animals. Severe azalea poisoning could ultimately lead to coma and death from cardiovascular collapse.
Oleander
All parts of Nerium oleander are considered to be toxic, as they contain cardiac glycosides that have the potential to cause serious effects—including gastrointestinal tract irritation, abnormal heart function, hypothermia and even death.
Castor Bean
The poisonous principle in Ricinus communis is ricin, a highly toxic protein that can produce severe abdominal pain, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, weakness and loss of appetite. Severe cases of poisoning can result in dehydration, muscle twitching, tremors, seizures, coma and death.
Cyclamen
Cylamen species contain cyclamine, but the highest concentration of this toxic component is typically located in the root portion of the plant. If consumed, Cylamen can produce significant gastrointestinal irritation, including intense vomiting. Fatalities have also been reported in some cases.
Kalanchoe
This plant contains components that can produce gastrointestinal irritation, as well as those that are toxic to the heart, and can seriously affect cardiac rhythm and rate.
Yew
Taxus spp. contains a toxic component known as taxine, which causes central nervous system effects such as trembling, incoordination, and difficulty breathing. It can also cause significant gastrointestinal irritation and cardiac failure, which can result in death.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Good luck, we're pulling for a fast recovery!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:01 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Get Well Soon

Our Heart's Are With You<><>Keep the Faith<><>

Fado and Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FADO & BOB.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	42841  
Old 08-09-2007, 08:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
How is Oakley doing today? Is there any improvement?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:38 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
...The vet did tell me if it is still going on in a couple of days we may want to run some x-rays to check for obstructions.

He does get up to let me know he needs to go outside but as soon as he's back in it's to his bed.

I'm thinking we may need to see another vet, second opinion thing.
Oakley has never been sick since we have had him (6 years), we go once a year for check-up and that 's it, now Annie our Basset that's a different story.

Yes we have Annie-Oakley at our house.
I'd advise that you take him to his regular vet, I think and obstruction could be very serious in less than 'a couple of days'.

Is he pooping OK? If so it would indicate that he is not completely obstructed.

Geez, I hate it when they get sick, ... so much worry.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:43 AM   #14
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Becky, sorry to hear Oakley's not feeling well. It's so hard to have a sick pet - that's the time I most wish they could talk. Sending good wishes your way ~
Old 08-09-2007, 08:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
I agree with Guy99. If it's intusucception it is life and death and not something to wait on. My 9 month old baby (human) had it and the docs all waited almost too long. He had emergency surgery and lost half his colon. I have since heard it is a common problem in cats... maybe dogs too? Anyway, I would get another opinion... and x-ray just to be safe!!

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:00 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Any news yet?
I know my life is hell when my dog is not feeling well!

The dog on the left is mine, the other is my mom's dog.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rosie scout sleeping.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	42864
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:45 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
He didn't get into road kill did he? I've had dogs get into a dead deer and they stumble around like they're drunk.

Hope he get better soon.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:08 AM   #18
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
I am so sorry Becky, I hope your dog's health improves. There is so much they can get into, thanks for the list azflycaster I have castor bean plants growing on the fence, I'll have to keep an eye on the dog around them, I had no idea...
Old 08-09-2007, 03:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Many many thanks for all the responses. We went to our regular vet today she is in the same office as the other one. So I called back this morning and requested to see our vet just for a second opinion and I'm sooooo glad I did. The tick thing was it (tick paralysis) My vet looked at the left rear leg and we found a swollen bump she did some more blood work to rule out Lyme disease and it came back okay. Some nasty little tick caused all of this. Oakley is on monthly tick and flea preventive but this one little tick took a bite. Anyway we are on 7 days of meds and he should be good as new. And the best thing of all no charge today and my vet gave me her private number if any other emergency happens again.
Thanks again for all the kind words, Steph I know your little one is going thru so much and for you to have taken the time to respond just incredible, your baby is in our prayers.
Air# 9552
Old 08-09-2007, 03:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I hope you can find and correct this as soon as possible. Since pets can't talk, it makes things so much harder to figure out sometimes.

We almost lost Gracie our Yellow Lab last year when she ingested some Sago Palm leaves. The ASPCA has a great web site which lists many plants that are toxic to dogs and cats. Here are the top ten from that site:

This is such a good list to have, although I don't think the first one we will have to worry about Never know though we do live in a college town and have many students living around us, also the campus grows it here for re-search purposes.
Air# 9552